“DO NOT STAY HERE- PLACE IS A DEATH TRAP!!!!!!!!”
Review of Montville Hotel

Montville Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Redditch
Montville Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Redditch
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY HERE- PLACE IS A DEATH TRAP!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

My husband booked this hotel on line, and didn't look at any reviews before hand. On arrival the hotel looked nice reception aera looked clean and bright, resturant also looked clean and very coordinated, but that is where the good review STOPS!!!!!!!!

As you start to go up the stairs the carpet is filthy, and there is an awful smell that gets stronger the higher you go. When you get to the top you have to open the door that leads to the upstairs corridor but as the landing upstairs is narrow you have to step around the door. Making it quite difficult if you are carrying bags!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I hear you saying no big deal as long as the room is comfortable...............WRONG!!!!!!

On entering the room we were shocked at how disgusting it was. Like other people have said with the dirty carpets, paint peeling off the walls and ceiling. The so called bathroom looked like it had NEVER been properly cleaned. Bearing in mind you have to vacate the room by 11am and you are not allowed to check in before 3:30pm, this is more than enough time for the room to be throughly cleaned.

We found that not only did the shower leak, but it leaked so much that it soaked into the dirty carpet in the main room. We were concerned that it was going to start dripping on the customers in the restuarant below.

The floor tiles were broken and some were missing

The bed................ what can I say, except that we would've been more comfortable slepping in the car!!!!!!!!!! The sheets, duvet cover and throw all were either ripped or had cigarette burns in them.

The radiator was so croocked on the wall that it had a plastic pot underneath it to catch the drips.

If I haven't scared you enough I have saved the best to last. I swicthed on the bedside lamp after we came back to the room from going and having dinner (somwhere else) and I got a small electric shock, at first I thought that it was something sharp on the switch. When I tried to turn it off so that we could go to sleep, it wouldn't turn off so I tried the switch again, but this time the electic shock was a lot stronger. I had pins and needles up and down my hand and arm and it literally took my breath away. When we reported it the next morning the response was "Oh, really" Because of her response I decided that I would warn other travellers I am pretty sure the lamp WILL NOT be removed.

Advice to anyone that stays here, stay at your own peril and do not touch the lamp as next time it could be far worse

Room Tip: Should be shut down
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Jodunn200810

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We knew from the price we were paying for a double room that this was a no-frills kind of dwelling. When we checked in we were given a list of everything we couldn't do, ie no room service, no entry by our main door key after 11:30pm (we had to ring the duty manager after hours) no smoking in our room (fair enough, but this hotel was listed as a hotel with smoking rooms)

So after our unfriendly greeting we were taken to our room, as we ascended up the stairs a painting fell off the wall as we walked past, one of us accidentally knocked it as we passed by. Firstly, the member of staff made no attempt to assist in the replacement of the painting and secondly, it had obviously not been secured to the wall in the first place.

As I hadn't been given a receipt for the cash I'd just paid for our stay, I asked one of the receptionists if they could provide me with one. They said they'd sort something out and put it under the door. It took 2 more attempts and quite a bit of attitude from 2 different members of staff to get a receipt...very suspect.

From a health & safety aspect, this place is shocking, totally shocking.
1. The heating in our room was a portable hallogen heater
2. The tiles on the bathroom floor were loose and in a very bad state
3. Access to a working light switch in the passage outside out room was on the landing below, very dangerous at night.
4. The hotel front door was locked between the hours of 11:30pm and 11am the following morning. We were LOCKED IN the hotel between these hours and had to ring the duty manager to get out of the hotel as well as getting in.
5. No attempt was made to secure wires from the tv & freeview box, they simply hung down by the wall.

I'm so glad my kids didn't come with us on this trip, the dangers within this hotel are unreal. Needless to say we didn't eat in the restaurant, which incidentally looks ok from the outside. Tacky, but quite acceptable.

It's a classic case of things looking ok when you first arrive, ie public areas look clean and acceptable, but you soon see what's really going on when you get beyond the first flight of stairs to the rooms.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS......There's a Holiday Inn in town, do yourself a favour and stay there..I kid you not.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
16 Thank mathildamurphy

Travelers are raving about these Redditch hotels

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2011

No car so location no too far from station suited me. Tiny warm room but fittings in need of repairs- e.g. mirror was balanced on washbasin, shower and floor both grubby.

Included cooked breakfast smallest ever served me. No cereal. Declined meat and was given a single egg on toast with just one tinned tomato and a single slice of toast to go with it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank steg54
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Staff very friendly and welcoming and first impressions of outside and .
reception/dining area good. However, the room was disgusting. Dirty, stained carpet, peeling paint on ceiling and much of architrive missing. Dirty net curtains with broken vertical blinds. Bright neon flashing lights right outside our room made for a disturbed night's sleep Very drab and dark room. Mattress hard and uncomfortable, smelled damp. Stained and torn sheet and quilt cover. Bathroom floor stained and dirty. Shower lethal with water alternating randomly from cold to scalding hot. Cobwebs everywhere. Could not remove washbasin plug. Breakfast poor: cold with fried egg cooked to a crisp. Full English breakfast served with no other option offered. Sky tv was advertised but only free channels available. No room safe. Situated on a busy main road with high speed traffic racing by all night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank johnm007
Birmingham
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Staff were friendly and courteous. Single room was fine and above expectations considering the price I paid, but no phone or alarm clock but I had my mobile so not a problem. Room was a little a small but more than adequate with tea and coffee facilities, along with free satellite channels on tv. Bathroom was ok and was clean - they supplied shower gel, soap and towels. Free car park at rear of hotel.

Contiental breakfast of cornflakes (no choice of cereals given), orange juice, tea/coffee, toast was good and served in their bright & airy restaurant. Guests get 10% discount for evening meals when they serve indian food.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank sproggit
Oxford
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I booked a single room but was told on arrrival that none was available, so they had upgaded me to the bridal suite at no extra charge. Oddly, the man behind the desk was very coy about the upgrade. He asked me to keep it to myself and be sure to look after the room carefully, as it was their best one. I resented the suggestion that I might be inclined to damage the room.

The initial impression of the room was favourable. It had recently been refurbished and looked modern and uncluttered. Closer inspecion, however, told a diferent story. Among the many shortcomings: there was a thin layer of dust on everything; the (wooden) floor was very sticky underfoot; there was a sticky substance on one of the leatherette chairs; there was no bedside light; no shaving mirror; tiny batchroom sink - I could scarcely get my hands in; various electric sockets and switches had been closed off in a bodged manner; the doors did not open properly and got stuck on the floors; there was a plastic mattress protector under the bottom sheet, which made for an uncomfortable night's sleep in the middle of hot sticky July; the bed coverings were worn and had holes in; there was a small step from the bedroom to the shower room which had not been finished well. The impression was of an ambitious and imaginative refurbishment, but that the work had been done by unskilled DIY-ers, leading to very poor quality finishing. And if this is their best room...

The young man who first told me to look after the room was in denial and tried to tell me, without even inspecing, that the room was absolutley fine. Happily his female colleague came to see the room, saw the problems and cleaned it while I had my evening meal.

The Indian food was really good in the restaurant, but the cooked breakfast was well below par.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RupertTBearOxford
hampshire
Reviewed March 17, 2010

we arrived early at the montville at about 2,30 and were told we couldn't check in till 3.30 so we went for a drive around the area, the member of staff was very polite and assured us we could arrive on time and everything would be ready. We booked a single room and a double room honestly the single room was tiny being able touch the walls both sides with my hands stretched out, but asked if i could upgrade and she was happy to do this for me, my room was huge and very clean, only bit was that the sink was cracked but didnt make any difference to using it, ( it had been sealed ). Even when we arrived back at 12.30 am she didnt batter an eyelid she let us in and i went back out a little worse for ware and let me back in at about 2 am, she was very professional.wasnt bothered till my friend knocked my door at 9.30am to say we had to be out in an hour, and the girl wasn't fazed when we asked to leave our stuff til we had our car. bout 2 hours later ha ha ha. well done Montville x Lester, Samz & Jade

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends