“A regular!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Essence of Bengal

Essence of Bengal
Ranked #12 of 115 Restaurants in Redditch
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Redditch, United Kingdom
“A regular!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Amazing food. Great service from Mo the manager and his team. Never a disappointment wether your eating in or getting a takeaway. Would highly recommend it!

Visited February 2013

uk
“New Year's Eve disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have visited this restaurant before and it has been ok, however on New Year's Eve we tried to change the time of our booking from 8pm to 7pm they wouldn't allow this so one of our party had to cancel. At 9.40 we were still waiting to be served another member of our part had to leave to attend another get together. When the order did arrive it was wrong.
Staff totally unapologetic food nothing special will not be going there again.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank suzy078
Birmingham
“Works Christmas Meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Visited the Essence of Bengal on Friday the 14th December 2012 for our work Christmas party. I arrived slightly late and was perched on the end of a huge table which was crammed up against the wall. I took a list of what everyone in our party wanted to eat, 2 weeks prior to booking the meal. We then had waiters coming out with dishes which we had not ordered and were for another table. Not acceptable service in my opinion!

When our starters arrived they were alright but there was not much there, one of our party commented he paid £4 for four battered prawns and was not impressed. My stuffed pepper was under cooked and tasted average.

After waiting an age for our main meals to arrive, mine arrived luke warm and again very little on the plate. It seems this restaurant is going for an a la carte style curry!! As the portions were ridiculously small, this is not just my opinion but the opinion of 15 people. Also the practice of dragging out service to make more money on alcohol seems to be a growing trend in low end restaurants, and was in evidence on this night. Whilst waiting for the mains we amused ourselves by some of the party having to climb over the table to use the toilet as it would have meant moving 3 or 4 people to get out to use the loo. Very poor seating arrangement.

I also ordered a beer at the bar and was short changed by one pound, luckily i noticed and made the waiter aware, he just looked at me and got £1 out of the till and put it in my hand, no apology nothing, which leads me to believe it was deliberate. Again unacceptable!

So all in all a very poor meal for a very large amount of money we spent £400 in the restaurant that night and could have got a much better meal elsewhere at half the price. I wont be returning again and i doubt any of my colleagues will be either. Much nicer restaurants out there at half the price Peppers in Studley for one!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Simon B
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Geat Service.....BUT!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

In the Midlands on business and met up with family on Monday evening, so what could be better on an ice cold Bonfire Night than a good hot curry! Our hosts have been to this venue before and also had a enjoyed several take-aways from it, so it came well recommended. Even though only a few tables were occupied, the fit out and atmosphere, were both warm and welcoming and the service was superb as was the wider choice than usual on the menu including children meals, something I have never seen before in an Ethnic restaurant BUT certainly at a price! We all opted for the obligatory Papadoms with mixed pickle tray followed by starters, mains, rice, a side order, chapatti and Nan breads and of course Indian beers! When clearing away the starters, the waiter enquired as to whether we would like to wait a while before we had the mains and we opted so to do, thinking this was a nice touch; BUT with hindsight we all thought this was a mistake. Why? Simply because when our mains arrived whilst they looked fantastic, the Biryani had become quite greasy and, all but one of the meals, were not as hot (temperature wise) as they should have been. Also my wife who frequently has Chicken Shashlik, thought it odd that a meal essentially comprising sizzling skewered chicken arrived on the plate removed from the skewers and far from sizzling! Apart from this issue, the quantity and quality of the food could not be faulted and certainly my own meal was hot in every sense of the word (we assumed therefore that perhaps mine was the last one cooked and the others were kept warm until they were ready to serve). A real pity about this, because I am sure that if they had brought the meals to the table as soon as they were cooked, they would have been prefect. If of course our observation is wrong then given the capacity of this restaurant combined with the extensive menu, I fear that many a customer may get cold meals on busy nights. Overall because of the final cost and the fact that 3 out of 4 main cousres were argubaly cold, I feel the "average" rating is justified, BUT had the meals all been served hot, I would have gladly said "Very Good".

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Worcestershire
“Sophisticated atmosphere, great food, excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have been going to this great Indian restaurant since it first opened about 6 or 7 years ago and it continues to go from strength to strength. Four of us visited on Saturday for a birthday meal. The food was beautifully cooked to its usual high standard and the service was very friendly and efficient (as always).

The menu is very varied and the dishes accurately described. The chef is also more than happy to tailor the dishes to suit your specific taste - no matter how busy the restaurant is.

We usually visit Essence for special occasions or whenever we have friends visiting the area who fancy a really good curry. The restaurant never disapoints. It has a nice relaxed atmosphere but it feels a little more sophisticated than your standard Indian restaurant.

Whenever I pass by Essence it is always busy, especially at weekends, so I recommend booking a table. They also have a great take-away service.

• Visited October 2012