“Uncle's 90th Birthday Party”

Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Redditch
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Uncle's 90th Birthday Party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Myself and my large extended family spent last weekend (12/13 October) at the Abbey Hotel celebrating my uncle's 90th birthday. I took my elderly parents, both in their late 80's. Their room was well equipped with a large wet room and plenty of room to manoeuvre. My room was lovely with a large double bed, a seating area and a bathroom with a bath and a shower. Somehow my parents wet room flooded after my dad had his shower and I had to use towels on the floor so that they didn't slip over. It even flooded into the bedroom. We arrived at Friday lunch-time and decided to eat in the Tawny Bar. What a walk! My parents have mobility problems and were exhausted when we eventually arrived there. The staff were really nice and very helpful. The food was OK, nothing exceptional. In the evening a large party of us (10) ate in the Tawny Bar. I think they forgot my meal as everyone had been served, some had finished, and mine hadn't even arrived. It did arrive once they were reminded of my order. Breakfast was very good. Food was buffet style and kept really hot. Again the staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

The function in the evening was really well organised. Food was again good, a buffet, but there were no vegetables or salad just carbohydrates. The staff were very efficient clearing away glasses and plates.

Although I had booked a room catering for people with disabilities for my parents, their room was a very long way from reception and any of the other facilities (bars and restaurants).

In the mornings vacuum cleaners were left along the hallways which proved to be hazardous for my father, particularly.

Overall, the weekend was a lovely experience. The staff were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful. The food was also very good.

Room Tip: My room, 210, was spacious and airy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
JohnHindson, General Manager at Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Carole M,

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor following your Uncle’s 90th Birthday Party held at the Abbey Hotel, Golf & Spa.

It was our pleasure to welcome you and your extended family to the Abbey. I’m pleased to hear both your rooms were comfortable and well equipped. I do hope you informed one of our team members who would have cleaned the bathroom floor in your parents’ room for you or would have identified if there were any maintenance issues for you. Obviously being a fully accessible wet room (without shower screens) it is hard not to get water on the bathroom floor when showering.

We are so sorry if your parents had any mobility problems getting around the hotel during their stay, we are always willing to help in these situations and we do have a wheelchair which guests are able to use if required.

We are glad your uncle’s birthday party was a success. With regards to your comment about the buffet food choice, this was obviously chosen specifically by your family member who booked the event, therefore was the choice we provided. However, we always provide salad garnish to go alongside our guests’ buffet choices.

Thank you once again for your lovely comments about our staff, we here are very proud of our team and is great to hear this feedback.

Once again we hope you and your family had a wonderful stay and a very Happy Birthday to your Uncle for celebrating some a memorable birthday here at the Abbey.

John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Polish first
Conwy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed for 1 Saturday night on a Travelzoo promo. Friendly approachable professional staff when we checked in, good start..Nice large g/f room with a very comfy bed. Our deal included a 3 course meal, good choice and lovely food, breakfast the next day was beautiful. The leisure facilities was great. Would stay there again anytime.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear JAQ2005,

Thank you so much for your “Relaxing Stay” review following your stay at the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa.

We are all so thrilled to read your comments of “friendly, professional staff, comfy bed, lovely food and beautiful breakfast”. And to hear you would visit us again is the ultimate compliment.

Thank you so much again and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Abbey generously hosted a Battle Back golf championships. The injured servicemen were not only made exceptionally welcome but also wholly appreciated. Fantastic facilities, fantastic golf. Great thanks.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Tristan C,

Thank you for this excellent feedback following the ‘Battle Back Golf Championship’ held at the Abbey Hotel.

It was our absolute pleasure in welcoming you and we are so very pleased to hear how fantastic your day went.

We hope to welcome you back again for your next golf event.

Daventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I can only evaluate the conference facilities as I have not stayed here or eaten from their restaurant menu, but have been very satisfied with these on the three occasions I have been here for a conference. Although a modern building, which sometimes equates to "soul-less", that is not the case here. The unusually shaped building in which the conference facilities are annexed, has been beautifully appointed with very rich, plush soft furnishings and carpets throughout. The chairs in both the main conference room and upper meeting rooms in particular are extremely comfortable - so full marks for that.

If there is a down-side, it is that the side room which they use for taking tea/coffee breaks is a little small when there are 80-100 delegates and the quality of the tea and coffee on offer is not the best.

Our lunches were served in the adjoining restaurant which, although part of the main hotel, had been closed off for our exclusive use. The food on offer was either a selection of cold items with nicely presented and unusual salads or two to three hot items with a selection of potatoes and vegetables. Some of those amongst us chose to take a mixture of both - which I see as another point in the hotel's favour - in that the food was of a high standard and kept nicely hot - never easy when catering for large numbers to achieve that, so again - full marks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tim W,

Thank you so much for this great feedback following your conference booking held at the Abbey Hotel, Golf & Spa.

It is a wonderful compliment to hear this is the third occasion you have attended a conference here with us. We really are pleased to hear your comments about the overall atmosphere you describe for the conference and it is great you found the conference chairs to be extremely comfortable. Comfort is obviously a really important factor to us when people are visiting us, so it is great to hear this was achieved.

Also thank you for your feedback regarding the tea/coffee break area, we are always looking at ways in which we can improve both our service and quality and I will be taking these points on board and looking at how we can improve.

From everyone at the hotel we are so pleased your conference was a success and we hope to welcome you back again soon for a future conference.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We got married at the abbey on the 21/09/13 but had the weekend there,,,,with families staying with us all weekend some coming form London,,Kay Lilly our wedding coordinated did everything from book the lads golf game on the Friday,,to sorting massages and all the rooms :-) All the from those on reception,,waitresses to the ladies that cleaned the room were all fantastic,,nothing was too much from even putting little packets of sweets on the children's pillow..The rooms were spotlessly clean,,with everything you need at hand,,reception bought us ice buckets and champagne glasses up when we were getting ready for the wedding ,,they were so helpful..the food was beautiful and fresh and they catered to everyone's individual needs !! Would I go back again ?? Yes I definitely will be,,I'd also recommend it for weddings,,they have beautiful views and spacious surroundings !! We will visiting the Abbey again and so will all our friends and family,,none of which had a bad thing to say about their experience there,,and there was at least 40 who stayed over !!

Room Tip: Any room you have will be luxury but the superior suites are a little bit bigger :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sarah M,

Many thanks for your recent comments following your wedding reception held at the Abbey Hotel, Golf & Spa. We are all absolutely delighted that you had such a fantastic day and overall lovely weekend.

We are so grateful to hear these lovely comments and to have been a part of your special day. I look forward to passing your feedback to our team, with particular mention being given to Kay our Wedding Coordinator who will be absolutely delighted.

We wish you every happiness in your married life and look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends back to the Abbey Hotel.

Redditch, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Absolutely perfect wedding venue and place to relax before and after the big day. The wedding team are brilliant and Locky who we had to run the wedding was first class.
Rooms and facilities are very very good as are the spa facilities.
Woudl deffinately recomend this hotel for anyone looking to get married and/or stay in redditch.
In a lovely location too with the golf course surrounding it to make photos perfect.

Room Tip: The Royal Suite for wedding night is lovely, also room 213 was spot on.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike S,

Wow! “Absolutely perfect wedding venue” – what a compliment, thank you so much!

We are delighted with your feedback and to hear you would recommend us to anyone looking to get married or stay in the Redditch area, this really does mean the world to us to hear. I look forward to passing your wonderful comments onto all our team, giving particular mention to Locky, who I know will be thrilled.

We wish you every happiness in your married life and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have to agree with a previous reviewer of the spa day "experience" - the day started with a queue in the main reception, which we stood in needlessly because the spa isn't signed, I thought that was because it is so integrated with the hotel that to signpost it would make it seem like a separate facility, however the overriding impression of the say was how the spa felt like a slightly awkward extra which was sometimes forgotten about.

The friendly receptionist showed us the two rooms, which as one other reviewer mentioned included a sort of day room with a bathroom that doesn't lock and was apparently exclusively for us, but then 2 more people came in although we could have just misinterpreted what he meant.

I waited in the "chill out room" whilst my sister had a massage, she said it was nice though was asked straight after if she was ready to go down and pay when we had obviously booked a spa day, something that obviously has to be put down to poor communication within the hotel. My massage was also pleasant though I could hear a drill going next door.

We had to get dressed to go were through to the restaurant, where a slightly surly member of staff served us our lunch - no drinks were offered but there is a bar. The terrace was very nice on a very pleasant Sunday afternoon and we sat out there for a while before heading down to the pool, where indeed a proper pair of flip flops is needed as I nearly fell upon entering the changing rooms.

The facilities are fine but the reception looks straight into the pool and is open to health club members, though this may be normal too for a hotel that isn't exclusively a spa, but there was just a feeling of it being an add-on, something we felt when having lunch. After the swim/sauna/steam and Jacuzzi, which was mercifully very quiet, we went back upstairs and it seemed pointless changing back into the bathrobes and soaking slippers as we wouldn't be able to get dressed again in private, so we changed in the changing rooms and went back up to the day room to find the cups, spoons and glasses all gone, so had to ask for some more from the bar - there were plates and the cups we and our sharing occupants had used still there from a couple of hours before.

All in all, we had a nice enough day as got to relax but there were lots of little details missing and it would be nice to have a more seamless experience whereby the robes can stay on and lunch is served in the day room, which is what we assumed it was there for rather than just for the tea and coffee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amelialouisa
Dear Amelialouisa,

Thank you visiting the Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa for a spa day and for taking the time to share your views with the Trip Advisor community.

I am happy overall you had a nice day, but am sorry to read that that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We constantly strive to provide all of our guests with the highest standard from the moment they arrive and at this point I can only apologise that you felt you did not receive this.

Firstly we are extremely sorry for missing the little details as you describe. Yes our goal is for our spa guests to completely relax and stay in their robes all day and to accommodate this lunch is served in the spa lounge area for our spa guests, so we are sorry you were misinformed to go in the public bar area, causing you to have to change clothes. This really is disappointing to hear and I have already spoken to the Spa Manager to ensure this does not happen again. I’m glad you both enjoyed your treatments, however, really do apologise for any noise you experienced, again this is not what we would like to happen when here for a relaxing treatment. It appears there was some maintenance being completed in the hotel, however, we understand we should have informed them of quiet times to abstain from any work whilst spa treatments were occurring, again a big oversight on our part and one which they are very sorry happened.

I would like to apologise for your point raised about the bathroom. As explained in a previous review our relaxation room was converted to a lounge from an executive bedroom, hence why a bathroom is in the room, however, the door to the bathroom is permanently locked so visitors would not know it was there. I have been informed the lock to this door was unfortunately broken during your day, hence why you could look inside, please be assured this has now been repaired and the bathroom is now not accessible to our guests.

Also we are happy to report we have now changed the slippers which we provide for use for our spa day guests which we feel will provide more grip, obviously essential when walking around the pool area.

We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future and give you a wonderful spa day experience. If you would like to personally speak to me further please do not hesitate to contact me on john.hindson@theabbeyhotel.co.uk

John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redditch
The Southcrest Manor Hotel
Old Rectory House
Old Rectory House
#5 of 8 in Redditch
Premier Inn Redditch North (A441) Hotel

Been to Abbey Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!