“Need to improve”
Review of The Talbot Hotel

The Talbot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knightwick
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Hubby and I eat Sunday lunch at the Talbot at least once a month and have done so for the past 2 years. We have always been a little dubious about the rather sad watery gravy that on occasions is served with lunch. Normally the quality of the beef, veg and pudding make up for that shortcoming. However, on the last couple of occasions the service has been poor at best and verging on rude and inhospitable at worse. As regulars who book I would not expect to be informed that we need to order lunch at the bar, let alone provide a credit card for swipping. What ever happened to the waitress service ?
We normally do not mind the £60 plus spend for a good Sunday lunch for two and always tip well, but our last visit left us both feeling extremely dissappointed.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank magicb

Reviewed August 27, 2012

When the inlaws ring at 11am on a bank holiday morning, what do you do with them? You take them to the Talbot at Knightwick for lunch. Upon arrival we were shown to our table. Fab location and high chair ready for little one. Food choices great as usual, with the expected and unexpected options. I went for cheese,onion,ham croquettes for stated yummy tastic, followed by my favourite of the vegetarian quiche. The rest of the party had a variety of game parfait and soups, followed by belly pork and game pie. All our food was yummy, warm and perfectly cooked. Given that whilst we were there a gentleman collapsed, the staff were amazing, moving fellow guests out of the conservatory to give the ill gentleman space, called for the ambulance, asked if a doctor was present and entertained the grandchildren whilst anxious parents dealt with the gentleman all at the same time as serving food to the rest of the guests with a smile on their face. Credit were credit is due....

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I took my boyfriend to the Talbot for his 50th Birthday. He loved it! The value is amazing.

I loved the room we were in "Wedgers" - lovely views of the River and very quaint. Dinner was to die for, I have never had steak and chips as good in my life!

We had a really good evening and the breakfast made it all worth while. I would recommend this hotel whole heartedly.

One minor disappointment was when we checked in, the girl that tried to do this didn't appear to know what she was doing and then another girl behind the bar (very rude) took over. Aside from this a great stay.

Room Tip: Wedgers is a lovely room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Food excellent game pie delicious just the right amount of pastry, meat and jelly. Sausages scrumptious ! Breakfast lovely even came with kidney. Annie, Sue and staff all charming and helpfull. Really good atmosphere. The setting is beautiful. Grab a beer (brewed on site and delicious) wonder into garden and watch the river ..... (will bring rod next time). Great location for Shelsley Walsh. See you next year.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Looking for somewhere to stop after spending a few days on the road... Recommended to me by a nearby local pub, perhaps they were upset I wasn't spending money with them but they did not do accommodation.
I turned up to see if they had any rooms and they had one left.  It was a single!  I was on my own so perfect!  However it was all down hill from here.  The price was not negotiable @ £60 as the the so called welcome party was more like going to see the headmistress back in the seventies, no smile, rather cold. More of a interrogation interview. I though ok maybe she has had a bad day so I gave her the benefit.
I was given my key and I went up to my room... On the way the smell of dampness was very prevalent and was starting to give me a real sense of unease.  When I got to my room I was not quite sure wat to do.  I wanted to just walk out but it was about 7pm so after a very long day the option to go else was getting very limited. The room was very used, out of date (neglected not traditional). The condition of the bathroom was extreamly poor. The guest next room along at one point I thought was in my bathroom due to poor wall insulation.
I bit my toung and went for food.... Menu read very well but like the room was a pricey, I once again gave the benefit.  Open steak sandwich really means a slice of toast with a few strips of beef steak, salad and chips. Not quite meeting expectation.
Retired to the room, bed was just the same. The list goes on.
However, breakfast time came and ready for battle.. The wind was taken out of my sails by a rather smiley and caring member of staff who looked after all six diners and made it a real pleasurable experience. Food was good too!
Feeling a little better about the whole experience I went to settle my bill and breakfast was all forgotten when i was greeted with a guy reading a newspaper said one of the girls will help you.  I seemed to be disturbing a staff meeting and greeted with, Yes! .
I hope it was just a bad day for them as times are hard right now, this is not the way to treat paying guests... Huge potential but you will have to up your game to meet price expectation.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Robsan12
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed in one of their rooms in the older part of the hotel, lots of character, sloping floors etc. Room was large and the shower good which is fairly unusual for older country properties. The staff were excellant and we felt welcome from our arrival. The real ale brewed on the premises is especially note worthy, I wish i had had room to carry some home. The bar food is of good pub quality. Overall a great place to stay if you are touring the Hereford area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

After looking at their website and viewing a 'sample menu' I rang to book a table in the restaurant as a treat for my visiting son and daughter-in-law. We were looking forward to a wonderful evening with good food, the website states it supplies local seasonal produce, chemical free veg and salad from the garden, hedgerow and field wild food and no processed food...sounds good unfortunately it did not live up to its claims. Started badly when shown not to a table in the restaurant as requested, but to a table in what can only be described as a wide corridor connecting the old pub to a new function room with about as much ambience as a motorway service station cafe. The table was non to clean and the place mats chipped, not a good start. Shown a menu which had no resemblance to the online one except the high prices...standard pub food, fish and chips, lasagne and chips, pie and chips, burger and chips salads etc. Two things on the 'specials menu', Game burger and a pork dish. Despite being disappointed with the choice we decided on game burger (not available!) so settled for 2x fish and chips, 1xpie and chips and 1xchicken and bacon salad. Quick enough to arrive but instead of a fillet of fish there were 3 pieces of very greasy battered fish presented with a few greasy chips and some frozen peas, the pie was served in what can only be described as a bowl of soup like gravy with the chips sitting in this thin liquid and the pie crust hard, no sign of any seasonal veg or any veg come to that, the chicken and bacon salad was the worst I have ever had, a plate of bagged supermarket salad slightly brown and limp with about one third of a dry chicken breast and one small rasher of streaky bacon, four lukewarm potatoes (again from a supermarket bag)...no dressing, no peppers, no other salad ingredients and costing £12.00! Complained when waitress came to clear our table but got no appology so we decided to leave, when mentioned at the bar that my meal was so poor they took the cost of it off the bill, still no appology or reason for such poor quality of food. Would never eat there again or advise any of our friends to. Overpriced poor quality food!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Janet S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knightwick
The Cottage in the Wood
7 mi away
The Elms
The Elms
#1 of 1 in Abberley

Been to The Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!