The Granary Hotel and Restaurant
$66
$62
$89
$86
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor(Stourport on Severn)
$72
$70
Priceline
Brockencote Hall Hotel(Chaddesley Corbett)
$118
$114
Orbitz.com
All reviewsset menuseparate buildinglambmain buildingmain courselovely mealexcellent food and servicescallopsa la carte menuwedding coordinatorsunday lunchpuddingthree coursesgroupon dealwedding venuefrom start to finishbridal suite
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I was pretty disappointed with our visit to The Granary this past weekend, there was no one major problem, but lots of niggling things which left us disappointed and we wouldn't chose to go back.

As a starter my partner ordered the tomato, red pepper and kidney bean soup. Yummy! Unfortunately, it was that hot (spice wise) that she could not eat it. I like spicy food and even for me it made my lips tingle and would not have been able to eat a whole bowl of it. It did not state on the menu that this was a hot or spicy dish. I politely queried with the waitress whether it should be so hot as the menu didn't state this, she said she would find out but we never heard anything back.

Mains were nice enough, we had lamb breast, the vegetables and the lamb were very nice.

For dessert I ordered a lavender cheesecake. I love cheesecake! So I was disappointed to find it was a trendy 'deconstructed' version of a cheesecake - 2 quenelles of mascarpone, a strip of crumb across the middle of the plate and some fruit on the other side of the crumb. This, for me is not a cheesecake, and I would not have ordered it if it had been accurately described. I see no point in deconstructing food only to be reassembled at the table by the diner.

Finally we were waiting for so long for someone to come to our table when we had finished, so we could ask for the bill, that in the end we got up and went and paid at the bar. The restaurant was not even half full when we left so it was not busy.

Additionally, when we got there, and the restaurant was quite, I overheard one of the chefs in the kitchen laughing and saying "That is the gayest thing I've ever seen" (or words to that effect). The kitchen has a large open section with tables seated close to it, and in my view thats something totally inappropriate.

The waiter looked disappointed when we did not leave a tip. We both remarked when leaving, that while some of the food was nice, it was expensive for what it was, even when dining from the set menu. Neither of were full after 3 courses, and we have eaten much better food at much more reasonable prices, and so for these reasons we would not consider returning.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
granary000, Owner at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for writing in. I agree that perhaps the soup description should mention "spicy". People have different thresholds . I am in your partners camp - so point duly noted.
It is disappointing to hear your view on the cheesecake as it has been our best seller recently, My son came for dinner recently and just adored it - but I do understand what you are saying. Point duly noted about bill paying. I need to speak to various about this.
Having an Open Kitchen is always a challenge. Sometimes Chefs are so scared they freeze in the public eye. Others are too exuberant and it impinges on the guests. Getting it right is a balance coupled with an awareness of the public nature of the workplace. I am trying to find out what actually was the gayest thing he had ever seen.
Our apologies for any deficits in our performance. Your comments have been discussed and taken on board.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Not a good night for the Granary. Firstly, it took over an hour for us to be served our starter. What was even more frustrating was that 2 other tables that came in after us were served their starter and main before we received our starter. When the food eventually turned up we then had to remind the waitress how to do her job, with everyone having an empty glass and no offer of top ups given.The place is nice and the food was good but the value is shocking. Small over priced portions. Would be happy to pay prices if high class establishment but not for a standard restaurant, which the Granary is. I think they have ideas above their station and are not at thebrequired level yet to demand such high prices. Expected a lot more for the money. And £6.30 for a pint of Guinness is just laughable. To top off a poor evening, they then got the bill wrong and added additional items on. All in all a poor night and can safely say will never return again. This place comes highly unrecommended.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank guru_of_travel
granary000, General Manager at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Oh Dear. This is not quite how things should go at all. We must sincerely apologise for your experience. Whatever the circumstances from our point of view logistically, it is your experience that counts. I was watching Gordon Ramsay's USA experience recently where he finally had to walk away since the owners would not listen to any criticism whatsoever. I promise that we do listen and hopefully we learn as well.
I just wanted to correct one point and that is that Guinness is £3.80 and your bill was for 2 drinks. It makes us look wildly expensive when we are not.
Taking into account your experience we would be happy to offer you a complimentary meal for two as an apology and to prove that we can also do things right. All your comments will be discussed at our regular managers meeting and we will implement necessary training and procedural changes. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We got married here on 22nd March 2014. Right from our first meeting with Jo we had no worries at all, she was brilliant, talking us through the whole day, giving us advice & answering any questions we asked however trivial they were ( big thank you to Jo ). Our day was fab from start to finish thanks to Laura who was brill !! The venue is beautiful & the food delicious ( all our guests commented how lovely the food was). The waiting & bar staff were very efficient, polite & happy). We stayed overnight & the accommodation was also lovely, spotlessly clean & comfortable. Once again thank you to all the hardworking staff who helped make our wedding day fantastic :):):)

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Michelle G
granary000, Owner at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you ever so much for your kind words and we are delighted that everything went well. Jo is a wonderful "arranger" and Laura a great professional! Kind regards from all the team at the Granary.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Visited the granary this afternoon for afternoon tea with my special friends. When booking was told we would not go away hungry and they were true to their word. Plenty of delicious sandwiches and side dishes and delicious cakes and scones with lashings of cream.

Service very good and staff friendly and helpful.

Would go again and recommend it .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
granary000, Owner at The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Many Thanks. Much appreciated.

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel because the rooms are nice, the food is excellent and the staff are friendly, courteous and efficient.
I will use this hotel when I am in this area which fairly often. I have stayed at other hotels in the area but this is my favourite.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words. It means a lot to the staff for all their hard work.