“Great day out with great scenery”

Severn Valley railway
Ranked #17 of 134 Restaurants in Kidderminster
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Bought an advance ticket at a bargain price. But we could still spend the whole day on the railway stopping at various stations to explore the surroundings.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I decided to give my dad a treat for Father's Day & took him & my mom for a meal on the Severn Valley Railway. I was a little apprehensive as I'd never been on the railway before, despite living pretty close all my life, but the Sunday Lunch option had been recommended by other family members so we decided to give it a go. It was also my dad's 80th birthday so it was quite important that everything went well. I needn't have worried. From the moment we arrived we were looked after like royalty. Despite most of the staff being volunteers the standard of customer service throughout our trip was excellent. Despite a limited menu the food was delicious, particularly when you consider that much of it must have been prepared before we set off. The train was pretty full but it never felt too busy and there were plenty of staff on board to ensure that we were well looked after throughout the trip.
The return trip took about 3 hours in total & we stopped along the way to enjoy the views & eat our meals.
All in all an excellent adventure that I felt was good value for money & I would definitely recommend, especially as they serve Batham's on the train :)

1  Thank DudleyDicky
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We decided to all go on here for Mother's Day with the three grand daughters they loved it just like their grandma I'm obsessed with trains lol loved the journey and the conductress were very friendly very good day was had by all

Reviewed June 28, 2014

On the 23rd of June, three of us ventured to the above railway. It's almost an annual pilgrimage. We caught a train from Kidderminster to Highley, that is where a problem started. We were hauled by a diesel, the windows of the carriage were open, this abortion of an engine filled the carriage with blue smoke and fumes, so much for H & S. We had lunch at Highley which was most pleasant, then took a steamer to Bridgnorth, that was more like it. On the way back to Kidderminster, we had that abortion again and it produced the filthy smoke and fumes once again. I spoke to someone on the railway who knew only too well what the engine was like but couldn't do much about it. The railway needs to do something about this engine, I suggest a scrapyard. My advice would be to anyone going on the railway is to give this diesel a wide berth and wait for a real engine, a steamer.

3  Thank bd23-53
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I've been coming to the Severn Valley Railway for forty years and every time I come I feel happy. For my dads 75th birthday we booked afternoon tea for 7 of us. We weren't disappointed. The food was fresh and delicious and we enjoyed tea and wine too. The staff were attentive and were quick to top up empty cups or glasses and very friendly to my children, making them feel at ease.
If you're coming for a ride on the train or a meal it's all worth it. Beautiful surroundings and be sure to stop off at all of the stations and have a look around. Each one has something different to offer and if you have younger children the Santa specials are brilliant. I've been bringing my children to see Santa for 13 years but I fear last year was possibly for the last time as my youngest is ten now.