“Absolutely terrible - poor food and bad service - never again”
Review of Hare and Hounds

Hare and Hounds
Ranked #35 of 129 Restaurants in Kidderminster
Cuisines: Barbecue, British, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Country Pub with homecooked food and real ales large beer garden
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Went here for a dinner with another couple and had one of the worst meals we've ever had coupled with rude and abrupt service. The interior was jaded and dirty and on entrance to the pub you're greeted by a large photo of the landlord and landlady (wedding photo!!) that dominates the entrance - not sure why they want to publicise it's theirs as I would personally be embarrassed to be linked to such a horrendous place.
I usually am very positive when individual businesses try their best (see my other listings) but I strongly feel that people should know in advance not to waste their time going here.

5  Thank SelkieGirl

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We visited at the weekend as a result of a special offer, We were given a table in the snug dining room where there was an open fireplace with work tools left lying within. Whilst the decor was poor there is no cost for cleanliness and there were a number of cobwebs in clear view. We ordered drinks asked for cold wine which came warm then we asked for ice which took over 20 mins but then we had to ask again for it, For starters we had breaded mushrooms (we got 4 each) with a mayonnaise dipvery bland, The prawns had been frozen, As for the mains the boiled potatoes were luke warm, the roast potatoe (on each plate)was full of black eyes. The pudding choice of banana split were what may be given to a child covered in hundreds and thousands. Decor in need of re-decoration. Food bland. Staff however were friendly.

4  Thank Ed B
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I visited here on Saturday 10th March for a meal with my Husband and unfortunately I found little to comment positively on.
The glassware was mismatched, badly watermarked and lipstick stained.
The red wine selection consisted of two choices, both Italian and in my opinion both unpleasant.
We were late to be seated as our table was not ready and despite a prompt taking of the order, it was then an hour and ten minutes before any food was served and when it did arrive it was our main course not the ordered starters which seem to have been forgotten.
When the waitress was asked what type of crumble it was on the desert menu, her response was ‘I’m not sure, probably apple or pear [long pause] do you want me to go check’.
We paid the bill in cash and at no time was any change returned to us. I know it was only 10 pence, but I still don’t think this is acceptable.
I will stay that the staff were friendly and pleasant and my request for replacement glassware was met with a ‘no trouble at all’ attitude. When I made the reservation I got a good impression of professionalism and efficiency, unfortunately this was not carried through to the event.
If I had of been driving instead of booking a taxi I would have probably left the venue a lot sooner.

4  Thank Emma C
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This is a throw-back to the 1970s, but in a way that does not recommend time travel. The place has a shabby feel to it, and I can only hope the owners are planning some major re-fitting soon. The food was well-cooked, but plain. Quite dull really, and the plastic sachets of processed sauces didn't enliven it much.

We battled through a chewy prawn cocktail ("chef's special sauce" meant thousand island dressing - is that special?!) before the dry gammon steak turned up, complete with dry mashed potato. Then stodgy puddings with vivid custard, followed by (I am not kidding) instant coffee served with uht cream mini cartons.

To top the experience off, anyone sitting with a view of the window has the sight of juggernauts hurtling towards the pub, as the room is placed down a hill next to a bend in the road!

That said, the staff were very pleasant and the food was quick to arrive (they weren't busy!). It would have been better if (during our instant coffee) the bar staff hadn't tipped out into the restaurant to tuck into styrofoam cartons of chips...

Astonishingly this place apparently holds an award for its food! Perhaps it was awarded by a school meals inspector?

2  Thank Funtraveller007