“Good Family Day Out”

Severn Valley Railway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Severn Valley Railway offers a fantastic heritage steam and diesel service between Kidderminster, Worcestershire and Bridgnorth Shropshire. We operate over 200 days a year and offer a perfect day out that includes a superb visitor centre at Highley Station called The Engine House.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We started our journey at Kidderminster Railway Station which is beautifully maintained and presented. We caught the first train out (9.55am) and travelled the entire line to Bridgenorth. All the stations along the journey were absolutely charming and in good order. We found all the staff (mainly volunteers) very friendly and helpful. On the day we visited the railway was well frequented. There was a buffet service on the train if required and fine dining on a Sunday which has to be prebooked. As a railway enthusiast I noted the carriage stock, locomotives, etc, were all in extremely good condition and that a lot of restoration work currently being carried out which I am sure will ensure the future of steam preservation. This says a lot about the care and attention paid by the staff. We enjoyed our visit and recommend it to others with similar interests.

1  Thank johnpatricia4
Write a ReviewReviews (2,195)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"flying scotsman"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were at Severn Valley Railways for a very solomn reason as it was my late mother in laws wish to have her ashes scattered there so her sons took her ashes on the final trip and her aswhes were placed in the furnace of the train and as the train crossed over the river she was given a farewell blast from the engine, The day after we travelled on the train back into the 2ns world war years it was a brilliant day and I would highly recommend it also along the line from Kidderminster to ???????
there were stalls to buy vintage and repro stuff from the time and lots of people were dressed in the clothes of the time army, navy and airforce it was a really good day out only wish I could have kept going right to the end at Bridgnorth. I have some pictures of 2 ladies my husband and I met on the train they were dressed as Landgirls red lipstick and scarves but we never got their names if it was you or you know who it is let me know.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was £17.00 per person, plus £4 extra for tea and cake in the catering carriage. The staff were very nice and the journey pleasent but it is expensive. However worth it if you have a rail enthusist in the midst.

2  Thank natstarr
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our day on the railway, bringing back memories of days gone by. All the little things like adverts, seats, suitcases, milk churns and platform ticket machines were lovely touches. Also very photogenic, don't forget your camera like I did! Worth getting off at Highley for the museum and a stroll down to the riverbank and the pub. We went from Bewdley to Bridgenorth and back, both nice towns worth a visit. At Bridgenorth I'd recommend you walk up to the upper town, and then use the funicular railway down to the lower town and back up again. It only costs £1.20 return and saves a lot of hill walking.