“we'll be back”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 2, 2012

After a very hot opening day of watching the Crimson Hawks destroy the Owles of S. Conn. U. it was time for some brew and food. My step-daughter a IUP band member and very bright young lady suggested that we eat at the Coney......All I can say is ...Great Choice. Just what the Doctor ordered. Relaxed place, great service, good food, excellent beer choices, and College football on 3 screens. Party of 6, young and old alike, and we all agree. We'll be back.

There are newer reviews for The Coney Island Restaurant

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We went to “The Coney” on a beautiful Saturday night. We opted to sit outside at one of the tables set up outside in front of the restaurant.

The menu is nicely laid out. There are tons of beers to choose from. For me that means taking a while to choose which beer I want. I finally ordered “Red Bridge,” which is brewed in Missouri. It is light tasting (not a “light” beer), gluten free and very good.

We wanted to have a nice leisurely dinner. We ordered the fried mushroom appetizer but told the server we were not ready to order the main course. She took and the hint and did not rush us.

The mushrooms were fresh, lightly breaded, and steaming hot. They came with a sauce, which had a nice kick to it.

For the main course, my wife ordered the chicken pasta bowl. The rotini pasta was topped with spinach and chicken, diced tomatoes and feta cheese in a garlic oil and wine sauce. It was very good and the portion was substantial. She even had some leftover to take home for leftovers.

I ordered the yellow rice topped with black beans. Diners had a choice of adding chicken or salmon. I decided on the salmon. Everything was cooked to perfection and tasted very good.

For dessert, I ordered the chocolate raspberry cake. The server brought out two forks, but I ended up eating most of the cake. It was moist and as delicious as the name sounds.

Our server was very cooperative in not rushing us and letting us enjoy the warm night. We will return to The Coney.

1  Thank hoopscoach-dmar
Reviewed August 26, 2012

By Dad came here in the 1970's when he'd sneak out to get hammered and cheat on my mom. I came here in the 1980's with good friends and pretty girls to get hammered and watch The Clarks jam in the corner when The Coney was a tiny room off an alley. Now I come here for meals with my family and occasionally in the evening with friends but I don't get hammered because I'm too old and sleepy for that crap any more.

It's not a dark little place any more. The Coney has had several big expansions, growing into the main street storefront, then taking over the old Blatt's hardware site next door and even moving to the second floor.

The Coney walks a perfect line between a humble, family-friendly sandwich joint by day and a rollicking college bar at night. The food is a step above humble bar fare--mostly sandwiches and staples like buffalo wings. It's not the healthiest or most original, but it's good. The service is usually top notch, especially at meal time. As the evening progresses, the atmosphere changes from restaurant to bar--and can still get a little rowdy (in a good way) as the clock ticks.

1  Thank JunkChuck
Reviewed May 11, 2012

A casual place for lunch. Very good sandwiches. Full service bar with Guiness on tap.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

It's the Coney; if your looking for food, drinks, dancing, laughs, music, games then you must stop at this IUP staple.