“Far better than a hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Indiana
Heritage House Suites
Reviewed December 29, 2008

With three children with us, this place was wonderful. It was far better than a hotel. Although it was only one bedroom, there was a sofa bed & love seat which made plenty of room for us to sleep comfortably. Everything we needed was there,dishes,dish detergent,shampoo etc. All we had to do was get groceries. There should be more places like this for people to stay when they have to be away from home for an extended amount of time. We really enjoyed it & would definately stay in the "Downunder" suite again. Highly recommended by us. Wyatt family,from Tenneessee

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed October 7, 2008

Heritage House is the best place to stay in Indiana! It is beautiful, clean, and in walking distance to town and campus (we didn't get in our car once). We were lucky to stay in the Sutton Suite which is very spacious, nicely decorated, and the home's original details (moldings, floors, doors, etc..) were beautiful. Having 2 bedrooms / kitchen/ large livingroom made our stay so much more enjoyable (better than a hotel).

We stayed at the Heritage House during IUP's homecoming. It had been almost 15 years since my college friends and I had visited Indiana. The Heritage House was a real find and after such a great weekend we plan on coming back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This July, I returned home to Indiana, Pa. In years past, I always
stayed at the national chain hotels in the area. I came across
Heritage House Suites by way of looking at an online edition
of the local newspaper. I was intriqued to be staying in one
of the old homes that I used to walk by and look at as a kid.

The beginning of our wonderful stay was checking in with
the owner. We were running late getting into town and she
graciously assured us not to worry that she would be there
when we arrived.

The location is superb. Heritage House Suites is walking distance to Philadelphia Street which is the main street downtown for shopping and dining. As all the suites have fully equipped kitchens, I was able to save money by not having to eat every meal out. The local grocery was a pleasant three blocks away. I literally parked the rental car for the entire time.
The accomodations were very spacious, completely furnished
to every detail. We felt at home.

I highly recommend Heritage House Suites if you are planning to stay in the Indiana, Pennsylvania area. As a note, I am already planning to return home for the holidays and I think
you know where I will be staying.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2008

History buffs and folks who normally stay in B&B's should enjoy their stay in one of the rooms at Heritage House Suites, located near the center of lovely Indiana, PA. The building was originally known as the J. P. Carter House (Thomas Sutton House) and was built in 1870. It is a three story brick building, merging elements of Second Empire (mansard roof, dormers, classical moldings, and arched doors), and Italian Villa. The top of the tower has been removed. Thomas Sutton, son of IUP's John Sutton, purchased the home in 1879. Over the years the house has been divided into apartments. There are currently three rooms available for visitors. Another five rooms are rented out on long term leases, many to students who attend neighboring IUP. The current owners purchased the property less than two years ago and have made tremendous improvements to the property. I can only comment on the Maid's Quarters room; I was not able to see the other rooms. Oh, did I mention this is not a "true" B&B as no breakfast is served. You also bump into residents who live in the apartments year round. Breakfast opportunities are close by and there is a nice renovated kitchen complete with 'fridge, gas stove, sink, utensils, etc. (No dishwasher). For my two night stay, the residents made minimal noise. Really not an issue. The Maid Quarter's is on the top floor. Elderly folks and those who don't like to climb stairs be warned. It's a long climb. The owners have provided portable AC units to cool off the apartment. I did not need to use it during my stay. However, I would imagine you would need to during any warm summer day. The apartment is nice, not overly decorated. One walks into the main room which consists of the dining area and living room. One is struck immediately by the very high ceilings. There is a small bathroom and a bedroom with a queen bed. A notable feature is the dark, wide-plank wooden floors. In the living area is a sofa, comfy chair, coffee table, and small flat panel TV. Being on the 3rd floor it takes awhile for the hot water to reach the shower. It does arrive; and don't worry, the pressure is adequate for a nice long shower. The apartment directly adjacent to the Maid Quarter's is currently being renovated for a student who will be moving in fall semester. Construction noise was a bit of a problem one morning. Overall, I did enjoy my stay. It's not for everyone; but for many people with a sense of historical adventure, this is just the right place.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business