“Souless and untrusting” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bewdley
Telford, United Kingdom
“Souless and untrusting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I hate - hate - not being trusted. Having to pay bit by bit for everything as they, despite having address details and my life history, give the impression that you are going to "do a runner". Had a nice larger room (43 i recall) but it was freezing when we arrived so we had to arrange a heater. Brought begrudgingly.
A hotel, for me, is more about its staff than the building or decor. The chap we met at the bar, a tall chap in his early 50s was far from impressive. They had a large party of 30 eating at the same time as us and, from our position, they could barely cope.
The place was cold and, despite asking for a fire to be lit it remained unlit. Food took over and hour to arrive after it was ordered and it was not good. We were waited on by at least four different staff members all of which were poor. Main meal dishes not cleared away by the time pud arrived and cutlery arriving after the meals.
Breakfast, which seems to be to be a con as it was extra to the booking and I was not offered it via the online booking form and the Eggs Benedict turned up with a skin on the sauce and I had to ask to be looked after, after we were, again, overlooked. To top it all off a bottle of Speckled Hen was £4.80. This is just rude. Won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
John M, General Manager at Mercure Kidderminster Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Clearly, I too would be not too happy with that level of service , and I extend my profuse
apologies to you.

However, , with regard to the chargeing process, you should have been given an option when checking in to pre-authorise your credit card for any charges made, thus avoiding the 'runner' scenario as you can sign for any items of your choosing up to the value of your authorisation. I hope this may help you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at this hotel on a kgbdeal for two nights. We had a very lovely time at this hotel and found that the staff are very friendly and attentive and when we first arrived we were offered a tour, which we thought was very lovely. Our room was of an excellent standard considering the amount we paid for our stay, the bed was very comfortable, my only issue was the pillows on the bed but that is my preference and not a fault to the hotel. The bathroom was quite large and very clean. We had dinner included on our deal and we had the choice of a set menu or we could choose from the normal menu. The food was lovely and of a very good quality and we personally didnt think the drinks in the bar we too expensive either. The weather was not very good whilst we were there, however we did manage to have a quick look at the grounds surrounding the hotel and they were beautiful and very well kept.

We also had use of the swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna which were all very clean and well kept, there were a lot of members at the health club at the same time as us but we were not treated any different to them and we were still offered the same services.

We would recommend this hotel to everyone except perhaps people with young children as they probably wouldnt find much to do here. One last comment would be that this hotel would perhaps be suited better to people who drive. Although there is a bus stop just outside the hotel it is be much more convenient and easier if you could drive :)

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor quite close to reception, however we never experienced any disrupti...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such nice words, and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay to the full. We most certainly look forward to seeing you again and we'll provide the sunshine this time.!!

However, children may want to know that the Health Club has a separate baby pool, and of course just opposite the Hotel is the West Midland Safari Park and Fun Fair.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights on a kgbdeal. Not too far from Bewdley, and about 3 miles from Kidderminster, so easy access for the Severn Valley railway which I wanted to go on. Room was qood size, with comfy settee, which could pull out into a bed if required. Bathroom was pleasant and fairly roomy. We ate in the restaurant there on the first night, and glad I did. Service from Debbie was attentive and charming. My starter of risotto with peas, lemon and crayfish was delicious, as was my main of salmon, with lemon and parsley sauce. After that, wanted something a bit lighter for my dessert, and although delicious sounding, the desserts on the menu looked a little rich, so asked if there was any sorbet, so glad I did, I had mango and ginger sorbet which was lovely. There was a vast choice of food for breakfast, cereals, croissants, cooked breakfast, muffins, fish, and good smiley service from Debbie again. The receptionist was also friendly and helpful, and we bought the steam railway tickets from her, as they can be bought at discount there, as can West Midlands safari park tickets. A very pleasant stay and I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words. All the teams involved will be delighted.

Please let me know when you are next considering a return visit.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

As part of a group going to an event at the NIA, Birmingham we stayed overnight at this lovely hotel. Set in beautiful grounds the Mercure is clean and warm, the food is delicious, well cooked and nicely presented, staff efficient, friendly, polite and actually looked as though they enjoyed their jobs especially when descended upon by a large coach party!. Enjoyed a good nights sleep - really comfy beds and pillows. It is a shame we did not have more time to use/explore the facilities on offer. Would certainly visit this hotel again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your short stay so much, and look forward to welcoming you back again - for longer this time.
Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights for work. Super large room with real bathroom and not a plastic cubicle like some hotels, newly tiled and lovely soft white towels (lots of them). Food was really wholesome and freshly cooked. Chef made me a dessert not on the menu because I don't eat eggs but fancied custard with something sweet (it had been a long day!).

Very quiet when I got there as it was a sunday night but it is obviously a popular business location because there were day delegates the next morning. Lounges everywhere, beautiful old fireplaces and gorgeous comfy sofas.

Staff are so courteous - proper old fashioned English service. Modern facilities - wifi everywhere. I had a room close to Reception and I managed to pick up free WIFI. I felt so welcome. The lovely thing about this hotel is that shows so much respect for everyone. I travel for work a lot and have never been to a hotel that has such a range of ages - a lot to be said for good manners and politeness that comes with employing local people who have a vested interest in the success of their work place.

Grounds are delightful, it is a wedding venue. Pool and Gym etc - good for short family breaks too. I will be returning with my family for a short break.

Far enough away from the town to be quiet and peaceful but only a short drive away for all the amenities.

I had to write this review because this was a genuine example of a hotel where the staff made my visit EXCELLENT. Katy, Natalie, the lovely lady at breakfast, the young girl at dinner, the chaps on night duty - all stars. Well done Mercure.

My only comment - get the carpets washed in the entrance lobby in the vacuum between the two doors.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 10 if you want free wifi.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sksan
John M, General Manager at Mercure Kidderminster Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
It was an absolute pleasure to read your feedback, and I and indeed all the staff are delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel, the staff and the service.

We look forward to making you feel as welcome with your family when you return again..

Yours Sincerely.
Runcorn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have just came home after a 2 night stay booked through KGB deals so we got a bargin.
The hotel is in a quiet spot but well within easy access to the surrounding villages.
The staff are very freindly & got some good advice from stuart behind the bar.The rooms are comfortable & the bed was so soft we didnt want to get out of it.
Breakfast was very nice indeed with a good selection to choose from,as was the evening meal .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jane p
Thank you so much for your kind feedback.

We are all delighted that evrything wqas to your liking and hope that we may look after you again, on your next visit to the area.

Yours Sincerely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bewdley
Gainsborough House Hotel
Premier Inn Kidderminster Hotel
Premier Inn Kidderminster Hotel
#2 of 5 in Kidderminster
The Granary Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Mercure Kidderminster Hotel? Share your experiences!