“Hit and miss”

Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Kidderminster
“Hit and miss”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We've eaten here on three occasions now and whilst the food has been excellent on every visit, the same can not be said of the service. Twice, as a party of six, we have eaten in the restaurant upstairs and the food and lovely setting was only marginally affected by the noticeably under trained staff.

The third occasion however really highlighted the service issues when I returned at lunchtime and sat downstairs with a couple of friends to celebrate a birthday. There was just one member of staff, and although we had booked, the guy seemed indifferent to us. We had to wait to order drinks whilst they took a brewery delivery and the owners dog constantly roamed around us and insisted on trying to lick us and the table. We were told three times our food was coming, that the oven wasn't hot enough, that something just needed to brown, even though we were the only customers in the two hours we were there. After what seemed like an age the meal finally arrived and whilst delicious the mood had gone flat.

I have no objections to a pub having a dog roaming around the bar but when you book a bistro and pay the prices the Bailiff's are charging then I expect better. The service needs an overhaul otherwise people will not return however good the food is. It's a shame when a venue tries to rely on it's setting and menu and doesn't try to improve its service levels even though they could so easily be rectified with just a little more effort.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank WolvesTowel

great witley
“Nice setting”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

usually OK but nothing to write home about re menu, cooking or service. Falls short of its aspirations.

Visited May 2012
“Absoloutly fantastic service”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I entered the pub a few weeks ago where me and my wife were swiftly greeted by an extremely fashionable gentlemen with long spikey hair. I must admit I have traveled all accross the country and never have I felt so welcome or comfortable in an environment with such a fantastic atmosphere. The young gentlemen quickly presented us with an extremely diverse menu that both me and my wife were both pleasantly surprised to see. We had the mushrooms and the fishcakes to start followed by the sea bass and the chicken cacciatore which was just divine. The food and the vast selection of drinks was simply fantastic and will be sure to return in the near future to be greeted again with such swift and a tentative service

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Venue, shame about the chef.”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

The is a well located and very comfortable "olde worlde" venue with beamed exterior and interior. Menu looked inviting but did not live up to expectations. We had the Tapas to share for starters,Mostly deep fried and very greasy, fish goujons very overcooked and dry every thing
else soft and greasy
I had teh Rib eye steak and hand cut chips for main, I asked for the steak medium, but it was cut so thin it was very done throughout. the chips were soft and greasy also. The wife had the posh fish and chips. looked ok, but the fish turned out to be a bloated piece of batter with virtually no fish inside and the chips were also of the same standard.

With a fairly decent chef/cook this could be a lovely place to eat, shame it is let done by the quailty aof the food and standard of the cooking. No wonder the place id=s quiet with hardly any customer and hey have to try and attract trade through web deals with living social etc.

• Visited May 2012
bewdley
“Great food!!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Tried out the spring offer menu that was really good value for money. Well balanced and thought out menu, offering a choice for most palettes. Went for mushrooms to start that were not done in popular manner of just loads of cream and garlic, but had a lovely sweet twist being cooked with wine and a hint of chilli. Partner had fishcake which was packed with salmon.
For mains I had Seabass with rattatoui which again was fab. Partner had Steak and Guinness pie, which was again packed with a very generous filling of meat with a lovely rich flavouring. The presentation of the dishes was excellent and the staff very attentive.
Would definitely eat here again!!! Good wine to!!!

• Visited April 2012