“Don't drink cocktails here”
Review of Steak on Sea

Steak on Sea
Ranked #36 of 40 Restaurants in New Brighton
bristol
“Don't drink cocktails here”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We visited on Friday afternoon and ordered two fishbowl cocktails to be shared between six of us at a total cost of £50. The cocktails arrived and one tasted of soda water and the other only of cream. We asked the waiter how much alcohol was in each fish bowl, his reply was 4 shots in each ! Terrible value for £25 each, when we questioned him about this he even told us that their cocktails were poor value. I then asked the waiter to either add alcohol to the drinks or take them away and refund us. He took the drinks away and brought them back 5 minutes later, although they looked different they still tasted of nothing. We then complained again and he went in to see his manager, After 15 minutes of nothing I went inside to see the waiter. He passed me over to his manager who was really quite stroppy, he refused to give a full refund as we had tasted them ! My partner then went in to see the manager and finally got a refund although the manager tried to Palm him off with a £50 note ! Avoid at all costs, good location, very cheap outside lounge furniture and absolutely terrible drinks and costumer service. Ripoff merchants.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank johnno44

Surrey
“Drinking here might be great but avoid eating.”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Steak on Sea is the restaurant/bar part of a hotel on Brighton's sea front. First impressions it looks lovely. It was a sunny day and we were tempted by the stylish seating and heaters in front of the hotel to enjoy a drink and some food in the sunshine. We had a hour before we were going to show at the Brighton Centre so thought we had plenty of time. Unfortunately this proved not to be right!
I went to the bar to order food and the girl initially charged me around £8 more as she had forgotten to take off the service charge as I had ordered myself. The food was also rather expensive for what it was. We ordered 2 pizzas and a burger so expected the food to come quite quickly particularly as it was early and no one else was eating, but after 40 minutes of waiting I went to the bar and asked the girl if she had any idea where our food was. She said she would find out but then didn't come to tell me. Around 50 minutes after ordering our food arrived and I had to ask the waiter why it was so late. He went to find out and said the pizza oven electricity had tripped so our pizzas hadn't cooked.
The food itself was passable. My friends burger wasn't very warm and the pizzas were edible. They may have been more enjoyable if we hadn't had to wolf them down as we were now running late for our concert. If we had not have been in such a rush we most likely would have sent the burger back and asked for a hot one.
Customer experience at this bar/restaurant could have been so much better with some basic customer service training for some members of staff. Once the kitchen had found out there was going to be a delay with our food they should have let us know. When I enquired about the lateness of the food first time they should have come back with an answer. Very simple things to do that make such a difference.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank BirdMeister49
A TripAdvisor Member
“Part if stay in hotel”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I have been here before over a year ago and I can say it has improved, both lunch and dinner have been really good small choice but nice, then only downfall I would say was staff no emotions, slow to respond but they do try, if I was in Brighton I would not be tempted to come in for a meal as is dose not look very impressive, it's only because I am in hotel I use it, shame with a bit if PR and a face lift it could be ok

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member