“Berni Evening”
Review of The Queen's Royal

The Queen's Royal
Ranked #5 of 5 New Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel had the idea of having a Berni Inns Evening experience on Saturday 5th Oct 2013 and I believe they are hoping to do this once a month. GIVE IT A MISS. I attended last night with three of my family. The menu is very basic not like the original Berni Inns. To start with you had a choice of Prawn Cocktail, Tomato Soup, Mushrooms with stilton. Three of the party had Prawn Cocktail. My wives cocktail consisted of nine prawns in a sauce a bit of lettuce and two bits of brown bread. What a joke. The main consisted of two types of steak, Rump, Rib Eye, Sea bass & Prawns or half a Chicken All the party had Rump steak .I asked for mine to be Medium Cooked. The steak was so tough I could have used it as a sole for my shoes. I decided to have a sweet and a Gaelic Coffee. The coffee arrived and to me it was just a coffee couldn't taste any whiskey. I asked all the party to taste it and all agreed that if there was whiskey it was the very minimal. It could only get better I thought. I asked for a Black Forrest Gateaux ( the only member of the party to do so as by now all were discussed with the meal) . When it arrived it was so small like it had been cut with a razor blade that I refused to accept it and told the waiter to take it back as I was not prepared to pay £4.25 for it. What was more disappointing was the owner was on site and at no time came and asked what the problem was or apologise .This event was nothing like a Berni Inns experience and if fact was a insult to there memory. I have eaten at the Queens on a few occasions in the past but THIS WAS A COMPLETE JOKE AND A COSTLY NIGHT as all items were priced separately . I would advised to give this place a miss, I will NEVER RETURN

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mart615

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great food. We come to new Brighton to meet up with family this is a great restaurant food is always very good have eaten here three times. Staff are always great and attentive. Will consider staying here next time rooms look lovely

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed one night after an evening at the casino. Room fine for what we needed. The breakfast was superb & the staff cheerful & friendly would definitely stay again.great location and parking in New Brighton is not an issue. Fab night

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lolli04
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Ended up here by pure chance after trying hard to find a place with good local food and finding them all closed, out of food or with another problem. We didn't stay at the hotel so the review is just for the pub section.

We were pleasantly surprised. The location is beautiful, if you never been in the Wirral peninsula, do yourself a favour and go there now.

Nice local pub food is what we wanted and we got some really nice meals at very decent prices. They also have a good selection of brews! The scouse was really good and so was the giant yorkie (although its meat could have been rarer). The dishes are quite big.

As everything else in the area was closed for dinner, I guess this is a safe bet in case you are "stranded" without anywhere else to go and catching the sunset by this area is just magic.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jp0502
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the last few nights. There is definitely an air of Faulty Towers about it - they'd lost our booking;there was no hot water for most of one day and seem to be more orientated to restaurant and functions. But staff are friendly enough and mean well.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I lunched at the Queen's today with my wife and five year old daughter. We live locally but haven't been to the Queen's for years as we felt that the standards and service had declined and New Brighton now has so much more to offer. Previously we'd been regular customers. Several years on we were really impressed by the best nachos and chili I think I have had anywhere! Not a sophisticated lunch but one that was so well executed it really made my day. The chili was amazing! We spent a couple of hours in the sun of the Queen's terrace and I felt that overall the hotel has sharpened up it's act recently. Lee in the bar was helpful and attentive as we're other front of house staff, and all kinds of clientele seemed welcome. We will definitely be coming back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JimmyBNewBrighton
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Went to see a gig in Liverpool. Situated close by to the Metro which was £3.50 return to Liverpool (cheap!!) Some confusion with the double room we had booked which had been over-booked, so we ended up with a twin room. This didn't bother us.
Didn't have a great nights sleep. Beds were quite uncomfortable.
Apart from this the room was clean and staff were friendly. Blonde lady who dealt with us on reception was always willing to help and she sorted out our room promptly on check-in. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013
#4 of 5 in New Brighton
Sherwood Guest House
Sherwood Guest House
#3 of 5 in New Brighton

Been to The Queen's Royal? Share your experiences!