“Nice experience”
Review of Marsh Farm Hotel

Marsh Farm Hotel
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for a car club rally so there were quite a few of us staying at this hotel, we booked last minute but had quite a nice room

As the weather was dreadful on the Friday night the hotel did an indoor "barbeque" for our group which we enjoyed, but breakfast on Saturday was a bit disorganised with people queing for tables but we got served and the food was good, Sunday breakfast service was much better

We had a dinner on the Saturday evening for about 80 people which went down very well, the staff were attentive, food and service very good. All in all we really enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Living in a community where we rely on word of mouth. I was recommended the marsh farm for a function I wanted to book.

The hotel is lovely, plenty of parking, quaint, huge beds, lovely rooms and a good breakfast. All positive feedback from our overnight guests.

I however mainly booked this hotel for a milestone birthday. I had been planning it for months. Part of the plan, and on my contract. Was there would be two types of cake delivered to the hotel. One for "show". You know to sing happy birthday with and have pictures taken with it. This cake was designed especially for the occasion. I wished to keep it and take it home to use for the actual birthday the next day. The other generic chocolate cakes were to be served with the buffet, so guests could have some cake.

This was planned for MONTHS. I had the contract. I had a meeting with the events manager. Where this was discussed after a phonecalls prior. I emailed the hotel and clarified EVERYTHING I was sending in and what for. Two days before the function.

What did they do? Cut up all the cakes and served them all. My husband didn't see his own birthday cake. Not even so much as an attempt to sing happy birthday. Apparently the person who knew it was a show cake decided to come in and let the lady know AFTER it had been cut up. I was very upset. A lot of effort went into that cake for him to not even see it. The lady initially tried to say I agreed to it. Who exactly cuts up a birthday cake, removing he candle without even singing happy birthday?

As for a suprise party.....no one even knew we were there. We arrived at the bar. We were supposed to be seen through. The DJ said someone was going to tell him when we arrived. They didn't. We were just pointed to the suite. So no one was ready for us to walk in.

The manager on duty. Did give us free bubbly and apologised. But it's not good enough. I booked a hotel as I wanted it to be perfect. I'd have got a better response from the local workies. PLEASEthink carefully before entrusting your special occasion to marsh farm.

The only saving grace was the dj, whom I booked separately was fabulous and we got to see lots of friends and family.

I certainly wouldn't be booking this hotel for a special function and I would think long and hard before you do. As there is clearly no communication between events organisers. Not to mention a distinct lack of awareness.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Busymummymoo
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We went for the Saturday steak night. We where quickly seated and given menus. The room was pretty empty with only four other tables being served. Atmosphere was very subdued could have benefited from some background music to create a little more ambience.
Steak was delicious and cooked to perfection, decent bottle of wine was included in the price so no complaint on that score at 27 pounds per couple.
Only gripe would be about the mature chief waitress who literally swooped over and cleared the entire table in about 6 seconds flat before I had swallowed the last mouthful of my scrumptious steak!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We've just had a weekend at this hotel, 5th/6th Oct, four rooms for our yearly weekend away, and were a little disappointed with the menu choices available for the evening meals. If you're on an all inclusive tariff I'd suggest you check the menu before booking, it could be to your taste, it just wasn't to ours. Breakfast was also a bit disorganised and fried eggs take about 20 minutes, so order early as the staff seem to be a bit overworked? The rooms were clean but not what I'd consider to be "superior" which is what was booked. I'd booked four superior rooms so we all had similar rooms but we ended up in a "disabled" room with a wet room shower instead of a bath/shower. Not a big problem but definitely different from the other three. Not sure what made them superior instead of standard, maybe it was the trouser press.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

we stayed here this weekend, had pre booked a DBB special offer.

Marsh Farm itself is a beautiful old building, within gorgeous grounds. Our room was one of the out buildings, which was a great size, and very comfortable. Decorated to a nice standard. Bathroom was also very nice.

The meals were fantastic.

We couldn't believe the quality of the food for the price we paid, vegetarian dishes were out of the ordinary , thoughtfully selected and well prepared. Absolutely delicious! Breakfast was a help your self buffet and the eggs were just lovely! Waiting staff and reception staff are polite, well trained and make you feel very welcome.

Beauty parlour on site if you fancy a pamper at quite decent prices, and free use of the local pool / gym , which we did and had a lovely family afternoon.

Would recommend to anyone, and can't wait to return here.

All in all we had a great stay, surrounding area has plenty to see too, we visited the Railway Museum and had a great time. Good for children of all ages.

Room Tip: We stayed in the out buildings , in a family room and it was quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is well situated and the staff were efficient and helpful. The food in the restaurant was excellent although the choice was limited. However like others we were disappointed with our room. We had been told when we booked we would have an upgrade however the room we had in the annex was very small - just about room for the bed - It was clean and the bed was comfy but we could barely walk round it. Also the tv was tiny. There was also a security issue as the rooms are locked with a normal key and during the evening a lost guest wandered in as we had not thought to lock ourselves in. The annex itself is disappointing compared to the original building.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice hotel in a quiet location just outside Woottoon Bassett. Pleasant staff and a good breakfast. Room was a little small and walls are thin - but I had good neighbours and the room size was OK for a one night stop over.

Plenty of parking, strong wi-fi signal and a clean and modern bar/restaurant.

There are many other places close by that are either double the price or provide dreadful accommodation and service. Marsh Farm is definitely a good find.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and have thin walls in the out buildings, try a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#5 of 25 in Swindon
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon

Been to Marsh Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!