“Good stop over”
Review of Marsh Farm Hotel

Marsh Farm Hotel
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice hotel in a quiet location just outside Woottoon Bassett. Pleasant staff and a good breakfast. Room was a little small and walls are thin - but I had good neighbours and the room size was OK for a one night stop over.

Plenty of parking, strong wi-fi signal and a clean and modern bar/restaurant.

There are many other places close by that are either double the price or provide dreadful accommodation and service. Marsh Farm is definitely a good find.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and have thin walls in the out buildings, try a room in the main building.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is an absolutely lovely hotel and I found the service to be exceptional. There was a truly personal touch which is so often missing from the big chains (or indeed most hotels now).

I arrived before lunchtime, more than two hours before the check in time and my room wasn't ready, but I was immediately allocated another room. The room was large, bright spacious and extremely comfortable, with a king sized bed and a sofa. The bathroom had a lovely deep bath and the water pressure was high with hot water arriving in minutes.

I had room service one evening for dinner and the butternut squash soup and home made bread were delicious.

Breakfast was gorgeous, with a cold buffet, and hot options made to order . The cold ham and cheese on the buffet were outstanding and the salmon and scrambled eggs were divine.

Best of all at breakfast was the lady in charge. She knew everyone's names and really made me feel as though I was an individual customer and not just another face on the conveyor belt.

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 35 in the main hotel was lovely.
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Fantastic - if i had to use one word to describe the hotel, food and service. Saturday 22nd of September I held my 50th birthday party for 50 guests in The Clarendon Suite, of which 32 guests stayed the evening. The hotel could not have done more for me, the room was stunning, all my entertainers were well looked after, the food of which I had a hot buffet, including Salmon, Pork stir fry and Chicken was exceptional with chocolate profiteroles and meringue nests. The staff were friendly and helpful - everything was so smooth. Our room was stunning and all the rooms were clean and comfortable, breaksfast the next day was organised so that all my guests could sit together. From start to finish of which has been 18 months in the organisation has been really smooth, I would very highly recommend them, and am considering having my 25 wedding anniversary there.

Room Tip: If you can I would definitely upgrade to a superior as they are bigger, and the executive suites are...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debbie188
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My company recently picked the Marsh Farm Hotel in Royal Wootton Basset near Swindon as hotel for three nights. The location is nice and the food is great. But as a hotel I would rather chose a better place. I had room 9.

What I liked
- Fast and free Internet
- Free parking
- Nice house setup in farmhouse style
- Good dinner
- Free breakfast
- Heated bathroom floors
- Nice and friendly staff

What I didn't like
- The hotel is actually not save since windows and doors can be opened from outside easily by night
- The beds are at least 20 years old - you feel how many people have slept in it
- The bathroom has mildew on the walls
- Hot water is sometimes available
- That must have been the smallest television I ever have seen
- The hotel guest that tried to make a baby above me the whole night
- The guys that came home at 2am and slammed the door next to my ears
- The restaurant that was closed for a Christmas party on Thursday 09/13/2012 (!!!!)

I probably wouldn't stay here again....

1  Thank teaki78089
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked a table for Marsh Farm’s Steak night on Saturday 1st August. It is competitively priced at £27.00 per couple, including a bottle of wine. There was a wedding reception at the hotel but they were in a separate part of the hotel and their presence didn’t seem to affect the service at all.

The restaurant is a lovely structure and appears to be a very upmarket conservatory built on to the existing building. The décor, furnishings, space and layout are all quite appealing, but the overhead lighting (chandeliers) were quite bright and the room would have benefit from being slightly more subdued (dimmer switches?) and perhaps they might have considered using candles on the tables too. Equally, some background music or ‘something’ would have enhanced the dining experience – there definitely was a slight lack of ambience for a dining room ¾ full of patrons, quietly eating with little or no conversational buzz. It would really lend itself to have a piano player in the corner – or at least some background melodic tones.

After arriving, we were promptly and efficiently shown to our table and presented with our menus which included the A la Carte option too. The menu was slightly confusing however, having so many asterisks (*) on it to identify which dishes form part of another set menu and therefore consequently attract a different price (for the same dish) if you ordered it out-with that menu option.

Anyway, we ordered the Steak Dinner and chose our wine, and was offered a selection of 3 labels per type i.e. pick from a selection of 3 reds, 3 white and a Rose. The only steak on offer was sirloin.

We decided on a starter to kick us off but did find them slightly overpriced on the whole. We both chose the Tart - which was nice, but chilled and straight out of the fridge on a bed of rocket. We would have preferred it to have been warm, and for the salad to have some dressing or chutney to moisten what was fundamentally a dry starter. We also wanted some salt but had no cruets on the table (unlike the others) and gave up waiting for a waitress, so helped ourselves from an empty table nearby.

When the steaks arrived, they were cooked to perfection and came with chips. Fortunately we had the foresight to order some peas and mushrooms (costing £2.50 per portion) and found the side dishes to be quite generous, otherwise the steak and chips would have looked quite plain on their own. You also had the option of ordering a sauce for your steak, but again at an additional cost. It would have been nice to have the side dishes resting on a plate warmer however, because the peas and mushrooms quickly got cold.

The service was good but I did find it unusual that the (efficient) mature eastern European waitress directed and focussed all of her attention and questions to my wife, leaving me feeling ‘excluded’ except when the wine was offered and the bill was presented (not surprisingly).

So to summarise, the bill total came to £44.00, but we didn’t have a pudding or coffee afterwards. The meal portions left us feeling very satisfied however. The meal quality was VERY good … but the menu is a bit confusing, slightly limited and the starters can be very expensive.

The venue is wonderful but lacks some ambience and suffers from poor lighting. The restaurant was moderately busy, we were seated at 8 pm, but we and one other table were the last to leave at “9:20pm”. I’d say the hotel could improve on its ambience and potential to “entertain” and keep their dinner guests lingering over coffee and liquors.

Would I go back, probably not. The meal was good, the setting was nice, the ambience was very poor.

Room Tip: Didn't stay, nice bar but lacks atmosphere. No real ales.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denis L
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We needed somewhere to stay near friends at Brinkworth and this was an amazing find. Lovely room with four poster bed, excellently presented, all the expected 'extras' and friendly staff. Quiet location with pleasant gardens to relax in.

Room Tip: Executive rooms highly recommended
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Had two nights B&B and found the hotel and staff to be friendly and breakfast ok. Very hot in the restaurant and a small selection for continental. Cooked breakfast was good. Ideal location between Swindon and Bath. Royal Wooten Bassett worth more than a look.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Wroughton
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#7 of 25 in Swindon

Been to Marsh Farm Hotel? Share your experiences!