“A great place to stay and eat”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay and eat”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed one night in a room in a room overlooking the High Street. The room was clean and comfortable while retaining the slightly crooked charm of an old coaching inn. However the best surprise was the superb food, with plenty of choice and meticulous attention to detail without being fussy, including breakfast which was a vastly more satisfying experience than many a small hotel or B&B.

Also a good choice of ales and friendly staff.

The only slight issue was the early morning noise from the street, but the hotel does have most of its rooms in a modern section at the back, which I guess would be quieter.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is a very convenient place to stay if you have business in Swindon, with the added advantage of nice countryside, good ale and nice food.

The rooms are in a new extension at the back on two levels. It is very comfortable, clean and nicely fitting out. For a place to crash without anything fancy it was just what I needed.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor. I was downstairs and it is a little unsettling to have people talkin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked in advance for an "exotic meats" evening meal on Friday 23rd August 2013.
Although we were a little apprehensive as to what we could expect, I must say that we were pleasantly surprised. We had tried crocodile in Cuba in the past and quite liked it, so we kept an open mind as far as these meats were concerned.
The chef and his staff did a magnificent job with the likes of camel, bison, buffalo etc. The meats were really delicious and the additional side dishes of hand-cut chips and fresh salad was an added, tasty bonus. We were even served a more than ample but lovely bread basket while we waited for our food to be prepared and cooked (delicious, yet different varieties of fresh bread!)
I only have one complaint and that is to do with just one staff member. I heard another staff member call her by name but I think it is a bit unfair to name and shame her.............she could have been having an "off day". All I will say is that she looked really miserable when she took our order and each time I saw her (even when she was attending to other customers) it looked as if a little smile would have "cracked" her face! The words "chewing a wasp" sprang to mind. This is such a shame, because other than this young lady's demeanour, the evening was splendid.
I was going to give a 4 "star" rating because of her, but I think that this would have been unfair because the rest of the staff, the chef's excellent work and the ambience of The Angel Hotel, deserves a 5 "star". I will definitely be returning for a meal and look forward to the excellent choice of drinks. I just hope that this female staff member is in a better mood when I return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We spent ten days in the glorious Cotswolds this month. Always looking out for a good pub lunch, we visited Royal Wootton Bassett and popped in to The Angel Hotel. As a family of four, sometimes it's hard to please all of us, but on this occasion, we all loved the food. The comfortable surroundings and the welcoming, friendly staff made this place all the more appealing. We enjoyed the food so much, we returned two days later and received another warm welcome and excellent food. We would highly recommend The Angel for a lovely pub lunch. Have a look at the specials board also! Lovely Hotel in a lovely village.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We recently had lunch at The Angel on my daughters birthday, everyone enjoyed their choice of meals. I had Fish and Chips and it was lovely. The batter on the fish was crispy with not one soggy piece at all and the fish was very tasty. The chips were just as I like them crispy and dry, beautiful. Well worth the £8.95 I paid will be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I am shocked to read some of the negative reviews on here as my fiance and I were so impressed with our meal last night.

My fiancé had the mixed grill and chocolate fudge cake. I had prawns to start, duck with asparagus and strawberry shortcake for pudding. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, my partner said he had never tasted food like it, he was extremely impressed with the taste of the lamb and sausage in particular, and savoured every mouthful.

The duck was cooked to perfection, lovely and pink in the middle and the sauce it came with was delicious and complimented the dish really well.

The team were helpful and polite and we had one little niggle about the wrong thing being on the bill but the waitress dealt with this promptly and apologised.

I would thoroughly recommend this place and we will be returning with our friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Aweful, Aweful, Aweful. My husband & I attended a 70th party, in April this year. It was a re-union of ladies mostly who had grown up in Wootton Bassett, so very special. We all had a meal. Yes, the Angel has certainly changed from what we remembered when we used to go there years ago - very nicely done, but the meals were aweful. I had the curry (& was sick when I got home) & my husband had the dearest on the menu, the lamb. His meal was a joke & hardly enough to fill him up & his comments were 'its the worse meal he has ever had). I found out the next day that most of the people there were also disappointed with their meals!!! I waited til' the next day to complain (being as we were at a special di) & finally when I did get to the manager he told me to leave it with him & he would get back to me - WELL he never has!!! I could not recommend anyone to go there - not only is the food aweful & even though i repeatedly called, their customer relations is aweful too. I could not recommend the Angel to anyone who wants a meal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jurys Inn Swindon
Jurys Inn Swindon
#1 of 24 in Swindon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,414 reviews

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!