“Return to the Angel”
Review of The Angel Hotel

The Angel Hotel
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was my 2nd visit to the Angel and it was as good as the 1st. Helpful and attentive staff mixed with good accommodation & food. I would certainly stay here whenever I am in a 20 mile radius as it is well worth the extra few miles. The beds are of good quality & certainly help in getting a good nights sleep. The breakfast was excellent and made with local produce. The hotel is only 5 minutes from the M4 and therefore close enough for Swindon & the surrounding area. One other plus is some excellent guest ales, Timothy Taylor Landlord was on during our visit and it had certainly travelled well from Yorkshire!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed here overnight on business. Fantastic stay. Lovely room. Well decorated and comfortable. The bed is one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Had a great nights sleep. Wonderful breakfast. Nicely cooked with high quality ingredients. Will stay here again. Five mins from the M4. Which is close enough for convenience but far enough to avoid the noise.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at the Angel a couple of time this year for work and it is a nice pub which has a beer garden and accommodation at the back so it is not very noisy.
The room are comfortable and quite large and you can easily get in and out without having to go through the pub.
We also ate there a couple of time and the food is good and generally filling. Breakfast is good and you have several options to choose from, I like the egg Benedict with spinach and salmon a lot!
Internet connection works on and off, depends which room you have and where you stand.
Staff is also very nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here one night for business. I stayed in a ground floor room behind the main pub, it was a nice sized room and the bed gave me a good night's sleep. These rooms have lots of tables just outside which I can imagine could make it rather noisy on a busy summer's evening. Fortunately I was there on a wet October evening so there was no one sat outside! The bathroom was clean, the shower was powerful and there were enough little toiletries to use. The only downsides is that there's no full length mirror, the wi-fi, albeit free, was temperamental, and there was sugar left on the table from the previous guest that wasn't cleaned. But these weren't major issues. I had a lovely steak for dinner, but the king prawn cocktail starter is just a prawn cocktail, no kings. There was enough choice for breakfast. I had the eggs benedict which was lovely, but my first few mouthfuls weren't very hot, but the rest seemed ok. For the price paid I would recommend this hotel and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Lovely comfortable bed in a spotless courtyard room, with good pub food and varied breakfast menu (I'd recommend the smoked haddock). Historic old pub in the centre of the town with some magnificent beams and an open fire in the lounge. I had worried a bit about parking but we were fine parking outside the hotel overnight and the local Sainsbury's car park was very handy and reasonably priced in the day. The bedrooms overlooked the pub beer garden which wasn't a problem on a chilly October weekend, but might be noisier on a sunny summer evening - if we ever get such a thing again! The upper courtyard rooms were accessed by a metal walkway which might be treacherous in icy weather, but again wasn't a problem in the autumn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Angel is in the centre of Royal Wootton Bassett. Rooms are in an annex behind the pub, and are clean and comfortable. Good shower, tea and coffee, small table for work and free wifi, though the connection is very patchy. Comfortable double bed. The room is ok for a couple of nights, but if there are two of you will feel cramped for any longer. Since the rooms are by the pub garden, there might be some noise on summer evenings. Parking is free on the street outside.
Service in the pub is by a friendly but apparently completely untrained staff. I had to wait one morning for 15 minutes for my order to be taken, even though I was the only guest at the time. Staff are clearly not ready for breakfast service at the advertised time of 7am. Not offered tea or coffee, had to find someone to ask. One morning the door to the pub was still locked at 705. Food debris still on the floor from the previous day. Juice and cereals, bread for making toast, and a freshly cooked english breakfast are offered, though cooked breakfast arrived lukewarm from a kitchen 3 yards away. At checkout the young man was clearly not able to operate the system and couldn't print a bill. Dinner service much the same. A long wait for an order to be taken even in an almost empty pub. Reheated food prepared by a cook who hasn't been properly trained. The Angel claims to be "Wiltshire's premier steakhouse". Perhaps they have someone working at weekends who knows how to cook. The advertised price of £88 is far too high, unless you get it for much less the room is poor value. Based on nearby alternatives, you shouldn't pay more than £60, in my opinion (if you bother at all).

Room Tip: 14 rooms in the annex, half accessed by a metal staircase outside the building, which is slippery wh...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Every few months I meet up with eldest daughter for lunch and some relaxed time to catch up on family matters, and events. This location was chosen as a half way house to ease travelling for us both. Although I live close to Royal Wootton Bassett it has never occurred to me to use the restaurant in The Angel Hotel. It is central in Bassett, parking is easy on either the High Street or in a large council car park to the rear.

Initial impressions were of cosy front lounge (with fire place) that offers seating to drink and/or wait for a tale. The Bar area is less well lit, and the restaurant area appeared to be rather gloomy.

After being shown to our table by Duncan I realised that the room was not as dark and gloomy as my first impression suggested. However, it did lack the feeling of warmth or comfort. Our table by a side window was adequate and, until a large group of around a dozen people arrived, the location was quiet and suitable for conversation. The group were obviously in party mood and conversation became more difficult. Why is it that large groups feel the need to talk over each and other, and always at top volume?

The main courses were well presented and cooked to a good standard. I had Rib Eye Steak which was cooked to my preference. My daughter was happy with her meal. Service provided by Duncan was good and he displayed interest in our meeting because it was also my daughters birthday treat. Duncan was readily available when we needed help or service.

Overall we were happy with our lunch, in spite of our very noisy neighbours. I will take my wife to The Angel for lunch soon because I think she will enjoy the food and the convenience in our local town.

Room Tip: Convenient for visitors/ shoppers in Bassett.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
0 mi away
Crown Hotel
Crown Hotel
#3 of 6 in Royal Wootton Bassett

Been to The Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!