“Average”

Godot's Brasserie
Ranked #22 of 67 Restaurants in Marlborough
Cuisines: British, French
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Nice little bistro, but perhaps just a little pricey for what it offers. Food was average, nothing special. Service was very friendly but under-staffed for a Saturday so quite slow. Two main courses and two soft drinks £31

• Visited May 2013

“Hit and miss”
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I travel quite a distance to come here on special occasions as its one of our favourites. Unfortunately after visiting last night in not sure that we would return in a hurry.

On arrival they had no idea about our table (booked well in advance) and the lady serving seemed more interested in chatting at the bar than serving us.

I asked what was served with the dish I chose and it came out covered in mushrooms (not mentioned when I asked) and the beef was as tough as old boots. I noticed that when the chef came out that it was infact the owner? After asking the lady serving 'is this the normal chef' she answered yes? Hmmm...I looked surprised and she then admitted no the owner is in the kitchen tonight and that she is the friend of the owner and only helps out once a year.

I am absolutely gutted as it was my birthday treat from my fiancé and this has always been such a lovely place. However the last two times we have visited it had gone downhill.

The service was appalling and although they took my meal off the bill was not sincere.

Godots please do not let your owner in the kitchen and get some more staff! You may have a good friend but you will lose good customers with customer service like that! We won't be returning when there are nicer places closer to home, completely disappointed...

2 Thank RainbowBadger
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, Great Service. Highly recommend”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had lunch in this gorgeous little place today. The food was outstanding for the price and service was great. On arrival we were greeted and offered the best table for us as my partner is on crutches so we felt very looked after. It was only afterwards that I realised the bar is owned by a friend of a friends family so will most definitely be returning again! thanks for a welcoming and pleasant experience. Michelle & Tristan x

Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Wonderful People, Excellent food, Superb Service”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Where can you start ?
This is a hidden gem in a town full of generic restaurants catering for the college.
Gary and Leslie work tirelessly to make you feel welcome and at home. There is a wonderful banter at the wine bar with the regulars making a jovial atmosphere and the restaurant is delightfully understated not too pretentious and comfortable.
Having been eating here regularly now for some time I have to say the meat (any meat) is exceptional quality the Ribeye and fillet steaks are simply melt in the mouth delicious, the risottos (chicken and a crayfish) are both divine and the daily specials are exactly that. If you dont see something on the menu ask ...and if they can source they will serve.
The wine list is comprehensive but the Malbec is personal favorite, again if you dont see something the hosts will try to oblige.
All in all I have to say wether its lunch or dinner I doubt you will be disappointed with Godot's it really is a special brassiere with a great atmosphere super service and wonderful food.
G xx

• Visited February 2013
6 Thank Greg C
hampshire
“Avoid”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Crayfish salad was so vinegary it was virtually inedible
Fish cake was 90% potato
Roulade was good
Very expensive for poor food

• Visited December 2012