“Good Food, Slow Service”
Review of The Outside Chance

The Outside Chance
Ranked #27 of 67 Restaurants in Marlborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A traditional English pub co-owned by legendary Champion jockey, A.P. McCoy, in a picturesque village walking distance from Marlborough, serving Wadworth ales & delicious food made with local produce.
United Kingdom
“Good Food, Slow Service”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a popular, genuine, country pub. I booked a table for 2 for 1pm lunch on a Friday with no problem (Previous reviewers had been offered only noon or 2pm sittings. Perhaps this only applies at busy times.). After being shown to a table and given menus, we had our order taken soon after. However, we then had a considerable wait before our meals arrived. The food was of excellent quality (Confit duck and Chicken and Ham pie.). Our plates were cleared promptly and orders taken for dessert, but then we had another long wait before we received our slices of lemon merangue pie with ice cream, a dish which was surely readily available for instant service. After eating this, we had another wait without any service. I eventually had to go to the bar and ask for the bill. With the food, we had 1 tonic water and a half pint of lager. I thought the bill of £47 was a bit steep for what we had.

• Visited October 2013
Sarah_OC_12, Manager at The Outside Chance, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologise that you had a longer than expected wait for your food last Friday. While the kitchen tries it's utmost to ensure our guests have as short a wait as possible for their food, there are certain dishes which do take longer to cook and prepare than others.
In response to your review I have amended the menu so that it clearly states this, and our guests are aware of cooking times.
To clarify, we offer 2 sittings at 12pm and 2pm for Sunday lunch only, not on any other days.
I am very pleased that your food was so delicious and I hope that on another visit we can show an improvement on our service.

Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Saturday evening dinner”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

found this restaurant in the good pub guide and its more than a pub - the food is superb and the place has a great atmosphere. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone and the Staff were very friendly. They also allow dogs which is another good point.

• Visited August 2013
“A once great pub left me embarrassed that I recommend it to friends”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This used to be one of my favourite pubs in the area, the food was lovely and atmosphere great as long as you ignored one of the sulky female members of staff who is always there and comes across as angry as if ordering is really offensive! However the last two times I have visited I have been extremely disappointed with the food. I booked a party of 7 a week in advance for a bank holiday hoping that the last experience was a one off but when we arrived they had run out of a number of dishes on the special "bank holiday menu" which was the only menu on offer and when the food did come out we were all very disappointed. The starters were ok but the mains terrible so we didn't bother risking a desert. The steaks were not cooked to order, the chips cheap and unpleasant, some mains botched together with "alternatives" as some components listed on the menu had run out and I actually couldn't finish my pork dish as it made me feel a bit ill (not great for a dish sold for £15.95). I felt embarrassed that I had recommend this place for my party to eat and payment at the end felt a bit like being robbed. Will not be going back or recomending to anyone in the future.

3 Thank ToolaRool
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
“A great country pub”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had lunch here on a recommendation & were thoroughly impressed. The food was delicious & interesting...no boring sandwiches & Ploughman's here. The staff were friendly & helpful. It had a nice patio but the back garden would look nicer with some flower or tubs of plants. My one negative....not particularly child-friendly. There isn't a play area outside for kids but there was space to run around, and the food was not at all child friendly & although the staff adapted a couple of meals the enormous burger, despite being delicious, was off putting to a small child. Maybe some child sized meals...it doesn't have to be fish fingers & chips just something smaller & appetizing! I'll definitely come back for adult meals though!

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, lovely setting, friendly staff”
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Have been here for lunch twice. Both times were really good. The food is high quality restaurant food but not pretentious and portions sizes are good. Don't come expecting sandwiches at lunch time, it's much more exciting than that. Allows dogs which is also great. Selection of beer could be improved. Go on a sunny day and is in the courtyard.