“Excellent food”

The Outside Chance
Ranked #27 of 67 Restaurants in Marlborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A traditional English pub co-owned by legendary Champion jockey, A.P. McCoy, in a picturesque village walking distance from Marlborough, serving Wadworth ales & delicious food made with local produce.
Calne, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had lunch here last week, the staff were welcoming and friendly, loved the fresh flowers on every table, the range of specials were impressive and I was told that this aspect of the menu was changed at least once a month. The other side of the menu card offered more standard fare but I was pleased to see that they displayed the meat source as being an excellent local butcher. The charcuterie platter which I chose as a starter was very impressive and beautifully presented; the daube of pork as a main was mouthwatering. Having eaten heartily, it was perhaps a mistake to have a pudding and to be fair, while it was not as warm as I had expected, my sticky toffee pudding was delicious but not only could I not finish it, the dessert menu was the only real disappointment, but I am a pudding person! The whole event was very pleasing, the setting is delightful, the wine we drank did not break the bank, nor indeed did the whole bill. I look forward to becoming a regular!

• Visited November 2012

Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Food nice but staff dismissive”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Food was very nicely presented with good flavours and textures, It took ages to get any of the staff to acknowledge us to get our initial drinks. After our meal when we went to pay and take our leave they took our money but were very dismissive. It is usual to say bye and come back soon but they couldn't have been less interested if they tried

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mable42
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Is it a pub?”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We sought out this pub last Friday for lunch via entry in Good Pub Guide and well worth it. Had excellent and enjoyable meal in the bar area; great ambience; nice staff; interesting dishes. But when first entering were put off by in the main area all tables being set up for lunches. So a terrific pub lunch and please keep enough room for those of us who don't want "formal" eating.

• Visited November 2012
“Ok but nothing special”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I ate here a few weeks ago with a friend on a Saturday evening. The place has a nice warm atmosphere and the staff were friendly and efficient and accommodating when I wanted to tweak my main course. However I found the menu average, the presentation of the food unimaginative and slapdash and the food itself just ok. It was also so noisy in there that I went home with a splitting headache. I dare say on other days and at other times it may be completely different, so give it a try and judge for yourself. I would return if the point of the evening was just to catch up with friends but not for the food.

Amport
“Average food and very poor service”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We got off to a bad start when making a booking ad were told that they have two sittings 12am or 2pm. Take your pick, Neither was convenient, but we went for 12. No sooner had we started to choose from the blackboard menu than a waitress appeared and started deleting choices from what was in any event a very limited menu. They's run out at 12.30 apparently. Following our ordered being placed, the waitress appeared again to tell us that they had sold out of some of the others. Overcooked meat, tired vegetables done with we ordered desert. Clueless staff forgot to bring it.
As the 2pm sitting started to arrive, thinkgs that had be "sold out" started re-appearing on the balckboard. Apparently they hold things back and dont mind denying them to customers even though they have it in the kitchen. Thanks a bunch guys.

• Visited October 2012