“Variable Service”

Ranked #25 of 30 Marlborough B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Variable Service”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My first contact with the Royal Oak was when I booked accommodation with them for July through an agency and then had to cancel. I gave them plenty of notice (I would have to pay the full amount of £150 for two rooms if there was less than 48 hours) but they failed to do the requisite notification to the agency until the time was nearly up and only then after two calls from me and one from the agency. The landlord was quite irate with me for "bothering" him and said "We do have a pub to run here you know".
Nevertheless, because it was in a convenient place (we were on a cycling tour where every mile counts) I booked again for early September. I said we would arrive between 5 and 6pm and made it at 5.30pm. The pub was locked, no-one answered the B&B bell, or the phone, or the shouting I eventually resorted to. After 15 mins we were joined by half a dozen elderly ladies who were also booked for B&B. Finally at 5.55pm a harassed girl appeared, apparently made a cursory apology (I didn't hear it) but gave no explanation for the delay. She was then very helpful and indeed gave excellent service.
The B&B rooms are in a separate house which appears to have been "purpose-built" with no sound insulation whatsoever. Our room gave access to a bathroom, beyond which was another room; the door to this room was bolted on the bathroom side to give us the en-suite we had booked. However, there was a finger-wide gap under the doors and we could hear every word of the adjoining guests and they could hear all our bathroom, and presumably our bedroom sounds too. Not conducive to a relaxing night for any of us.
The dinner was good but the breakfast was poor: hard bacon, overdone eggs and coffee which was either very stewed, or instant.
Go here for an evening meal but sleep somewhere else

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Took the advice of the sign on the main road, it was a good decision! Welcome, food was very good, excellent fish and chips, the ploughmans was great value! Well-cooked and served, and the whole atmosphere and setting were excellent. Such an interesting place, we will definitely be back! Perhaps on our next trip from Australia

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Magnums2009
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

W love it here the menu is huge and it isnt because everything is average quite the opposite actually. The pub is gorgeous there is ample parking and the approach simply stunning. Been here lots and always take visiting friends who are never disappointed. Portions huge so never finish a plate but also come away full and happy

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank p3nnyl
Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2012

A wonderful drive through beautiful countryside to a lovely village, and country inn with a thatched roof, sunshine,excellent beer, excellent service, and superb rare roast beef-how much more English do you want to get?
Superb!

Richard and Ruth

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank richsim-11
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Bed and breakfast in a great location just a short walk from the canal and in the rear of a lovely pub and surrounded by beautifully gardens too. Had a nice breakfast in the pub the next morning a freshly cooked full English also a lovely meal here the night before lovely local meat and fresh vegetables. All in all a g

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank PBartlett
Crawley
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My daughter booked me in for two nights. A very inhospitable owner who made me feel very unwelcome. The room I was given was very small, very badly furnished and 'tatty' (my belongings had to go on the floor!) The cleanliness left much to be desired, if fact it was dirty. I asked for a small towel as only one large bath towel provided - I was given a withering look at this request. Very bad creaking floorboards above me was not conducive to a good nights sleep. B & B in a 40's/50's house at the rear, not in the old pub/restaurant. Tea/coffee making facilities are in the main kitchen of the house, not the rooms! Average breakfast. Very overpriced rooms, Would never stay again. It pays to CHECK FIRST.

Room Tip: Go to another B & B to stay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda G

Travelers are raving about these Marlborough hotels

Surrey
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night recently. Upon arrival The Royal Oak pub looks idyllic, Wootton Rivers is beautiful. When we checked in, we were lead to a modern house at the back of the pub. We were allocated Room 2 which is not en-suite. We did not realise that it when we booked it, and for £65 we were surprised and disappointed. Room 2 is also very small, the double bed takes up much of the space. Only 1 pillow per person too, with no other redeaming features other than a small flat screen TV.

The walls are thin and I could hear someone snoring next door. The bathroom was across the hall which was wierd if you needed to use the toilet in the night. The electric shower in here was frankly rubbish and barely came out as a trickle.

There was a shared kitchen downstairs and apparently you could help yourself to tea and cereals but we did not use.

On the positive side, The Royal Oak's restaurant is marvellous. It has a very extensive menu, there is almost too much choice. I wonder how they managed to cater for it all! It is clearly a very popular place as the restaurant was packed. It's a snug fit, so if you wanted a romantic or private conversation this probably isn't the place.

The breakfast the next morning was good, a cooked breakfast with tea and coffee.

I accidenly left my earrings behind and telephoned the helpful owner who very kindly returned them to me. I am very grateful to him for doing this.

I hope he will not mind me pointing out that the B&B could do with a bit of a refresh. Perhaps add a bit more luxury and charm to the rooms as it all seemed very perfunctory and functional.

I would come again for the food as it was excellent, but not for the B&B.

• Stayed May 2012