“Sunday Lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Ripon, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Arriving at the Crown in we were welcomed (quite a large party). Drinks were served, the atmosphere was very comfortable. Our table/s were ready for us to sit down, there was another party of people in the dining room at the same time (an earlier group). The host ensured all orders were taken, taking care that even the children had an input to the ordering. The starters were excellent, quite a good variety of choice, together with Vegetarian options being available. Very well presented and served carefully. Nothing was too much trouble to the staff. The main courses, again a wide variety of choice, served with vegetables, Yorkshire Pudding (where appropriate a roast) and gravy as a side if needed. To be honest, this was a very satisfying meal, served exceedingly well and we enjoyed the event tremendously. A big thank you to the staff who made this successful

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank congenital

Andover, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch at the Crown Inn is faultless... relaxed atmosphere, with good wine and food to boot.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The relaxed informal atmosphere is probably the first thing that draws your attention when you step through the front door. The hospitality of the barman was very friendly and the beer wasn't bad either :-)
We had booked lunch at a venue with the same name (8 miles away) and mistakenly came to this venue. Probably the best mistake I've made this year. I'll definitely be coming back.

We were a party of seven - and there was no problem. A table was made up and the next two hours were simply a delight.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank ColinHi
Bath, United Kingdom
“Delicious Seafood Menu”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My friend and I were looking for somewhere to grab a bite to eat before heading out on the town! She had eaten here before but it was a first for me.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and the restaurant was comfortable and clean.
The menu had a variety of seafood dishes and a couple of meat dishes along with one or two vegetarian dishes.
We were told that our dinner would be about twenty minutes as the 'Seafood Risotto' my friend had ordered would take that long! A great sign that things are freshly cooked so we didn't mind waiting! When our food arrived I was surprised by the portion size, our meals were both pretty large! I overheard the landlady saying to another customer 'well its no good coming out to dinner and going home hungry still'! They clearly believe in this ethos! We didn't have room for pudding!
I will definitely eat here again!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Polly901
London, England, United Kingdom
“It's been 2 years and its still on my mind”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a very delayed review. In fact it was late August 2010, when my family and I were on our way home from an event, and we were tired and hungry and had miles to go before we would get home. We decided to stop for a quick bite and searched around for anything that was open on that Sunday evening. We stumbled across the crown and went in. We looked at the menu, seemed a bit more pricey than we had hoped, but out of desperation we just decided to stay put. I can sympathise with the one reviewer who said their time keeping was awful. It was relatively quiet in there and the food was taking its time. Having said that, I rated the overall experience as 5* because every minute waiting and every pound spent was worth it. The food was beautiful. It's possible that we were so tired that McDonald's would have been sufficient, but the atmosphere was also really intimate, relaxing and special. For the whole family what was meant to be a very simple affair of eating and moving on, turned into a genuinely memorable family experience. And we still talk about it to this day :)

2 Thank lisiB88
Swindon, United Kingdom
“A genuinely comfortable little place with excellent food”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm not sure why it has taken us 3 years to try this place - but I'm really glad that we did. The staff are friendly, the food delicious, the decor quirky but very comfortable & Otis Redding was playing in the background. The owners have pulled off that rare feat of creating an environment that is relaxing, unfussy and quite simply a pleasure to be in.

Oh, and I can't remember the last time I was torn between ordering five different items on a lunch menu which all sounded equally delicious. But of you visit on I cold day, I can highly recommend the large bowl of fresh-as-fresh-can-be mussels in a delicious creamy coriander sauce. Lip-smackingly good.

• Visited January 2013