“A hidden gem”

Ranked #9 of 73 Restaurants in Marlborough
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Silks On The Downs is best described as a friendly & homely ' Gastro Pub '. Our menus change regularly and we source locally from the fantastic produce available around us. We are located in Ogbourne St Andrew, one mile outside the beautiful market town of Marlborough. Adorning our walls are framed silks of leading racehorse owners as worn by the jockeys, reflecting Wiltshire's rich racing heritage, as well as giving the pub its name. We are open daily for lunch and dinner (closed on a Sunday evening).
Reviewed July 18, 2018

Found this great place by accident but what a great accident it was ..

The gastro pub is deceptively large inside with a well decorated interior and a choice of real ales at the extensive bar.
My Daughter and I decided to order the steak and the chef made a Dian sauce from scratch to complement my daughters steak...no boil in the bag here...

The meal arrived which was presented to us by a very professional and friendly waiter and what a meal it was ...Fantastic and goes to show we can do it well in this country.
Front of house was a fantastic lady called Carol (spelt the Christmas way) who was extremity professional and attentive to the running of the establishment and also very friendly at the same time.

Overall I can sum this experience up with a few words..Great food , Great staff and a Great experience.

Would I go there again ...you bet I would

Dave and Rachael

Reviewed July 15, 2018

We broke a long journey on a hot day to have lunch on Sunday 8th July in the cool interior of Silks On The Downs. Carole met us at the door and in a friendly but unobtrusive way ensured that we had what we needed while deciding what to eat.

Relaxing with a soft drink we made our menu choices from the a la carte menu and specials board with the help of Chef Paul who helpfully offered to adjust the sharing platter that I fancied for one person. My partner chose roast beef (served well done at his request) which he declared to have an excellent flavour offset by perfectly cooked roast potatoes, a selection of four vegetables and horseradish sauce.

My "sharing" platter arrived beautifully presented with grilled halloumi offset by salty olives and sun dried tomatoes (made on the premises by the chef) which were honestly the best I've ever eaten, roast vegetables, salad and bread with dipping oil. The star of the plate for me was the lemony hummus again made by the chef, perfectly seasoned and delicious.

We rarely eat desert at lunch time but our main courses had been so good we couldn't pass up on the chance and both settled on white chocolate crème brulee with a delicious home made shortbread and seasonal fruits. Creamy, sweet and soft under a crisp shell this was an exquisite desert and a great way to round off a thoroughly enjoyable meal.

Chef chatted to us and we were able to pass our compliments on to him and all the staff involved in what was a pleasurable experience. His passion for food shines through. The owner Fraser Digby took time out of his busy day to chat with us and ensure our experience was a good one.

In short we thoroughly recommend Silks On The Downs if you want good food in relaxed and friendly surroundings.

2  Thank spike19
Reviewed June 12, 2018 via mobile

Table of six for three course Sunday lunch which was cooked very well, with quality ingredients and tasted lovely. Better than most pub sunday lunches around Swindon I thought.
All served in good time, all together and hot. We were well looked after by young waiter and had a very relaxing couple of hours there. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited Silks on the Downs today for lunch. We used to regularly frequent this pub/restaurant up until about 18 months ago. Although the food was OK, we both felt that it was not up to the usual standard. It lacked flavour and was quite bland. The staff were friendly and the service was good. Just before leaving, I learned that the previous chef had left before Christmas 2017. Disappointing experience.

Reviewed June 8, 2018

The exterior of this venue looks very tatty indeed and could do with a lick of paint. Staff very friendly but food very average and overpriced. Have eaten here for lunch and Sunday lunch . Would not recommend the Sunday roast beef as the quality of the meat was very poor indeed which was disappointing and embarrassing as I had recommended it to a friend who was kindly treating me that day.