“Atmosphere is good.”

Ranked #17 of 69 Restaurants in Marlborough
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Had lunch here on Easter Monday and dinner in the evening. The place was busy and there was a longish wait for onion soup at lunch. In the evening, lots of items had been crossed off the menu because they "had had a busy weekend." Well, maybe this should have been anticipated at Easter in such a lovely town. Nevertheless we had good, friendly service in the evening and the food was fine.

The beer and wine was good too.

Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Castle and Ball, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Really glad you enjoyed your meals with us, it was a very busy weekend which is why there had been a wait, and it was also the last day before our new menu began, which is the reason we had sold out of many items.
I hope you will come back soon and try somethig from our lovely new menu.

There are newer reviews for The Castle and Ball

Reviewed April 19, 2014

They have a crazy system where you have to order everything from the bar at all stages of your meal.
If you want a drink once your food has arrived you have to go and queue at the bar again and if the one or if you're lucky two people happen to be getting coffee or a drink for someone, by the time you're served your meal is cold.
When I suggested to the "charmer" behind the bar, Jack, that there might be a better system like ordering a drink from the waitress I was told if I didn't like it "go elsewhere"!
Bad customer care but bad business too as they lost out on 1 bottle of wine and 3 coffees. So lost sales.
I would never go back.
PS Food was good and waitress service good also.

1  Thank charles j
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Met friends here this week for lunch. Have eaten and stayed here many times, but have noticed,the standard of food is falling. Alas, the Sunday roast was only lukewarm and a portion of steak and ale pie was dry and overcooked. What a pity because the ambience of this place is excellent.

I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your meals with us, it doesnt happen very often and I really hope you will return for a nicer meal next time.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

tGood, reasonably priced food. The Castle and Ball has undergone renovations and it is very comfortable. Nice place to have a drink outside on the pavement. Has quite a cosmopolitan feel.

It is lovely to sit out the front on a nice day and watch the world go by! Great to hear you enjoy visiting us.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Today we had Sunday lunch here. The service was patchy (the waitress forgot to bring our wine) and the food only ok. One of the party had gammon which was fine; I had chicken tikka masala which was watery and had little flavour. The other 2 had roasts. Beef was tough & only ok. The pork was ok but the crackling was chewy not crackled! I guess the Restaurant has had better days.

I'm so sorry you didn't have a great experience with us during your meal, I hope you will return and let us try to wow you next time.