“Great thai, give it a try”
Review of Blue Orchid Thai - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Blue Orchid Thai
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
“Great thai, give it a try”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Weird. I've been here twice; once in July this year and also last February. I had the red duck curry on the first occasion, and we had the set meal for two on the second. Both times the service was excellent, all dishes made with fresh authentic and good quality ingredients and I don't recognise the interior as described in the last two reviews. I thought the decor was perfectly decent, with intricate wood carvings and a heavy far eastern influence; the place is well looked after and the crockery was all
Perfectly in tact I have to say that both times there were few other customers there which could be because the prices are a little on the high side, but I imagine that business rents and rates must be pretty steep where they're situated. It's a shame if the last reviews put people off. I promise you, they do know what they're doing.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Pigpenandpugsley

Swindon, United Kingdom
“So so”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Tucked away off the high street. Lovely welcome by the waitress. Quite a stunning looking fish dish but not as tasty as it could have been. The green curry lacked oomph.

• Visited February 2013
UK
“Poor atmosphere, bland food.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Visited the Blue Orchid on Valentine's weekend (Sat 16th) and, before entering, was concerned that the place was totally empty (never a good sign!) but as we had booked and it was still relatively early (7.15 pm), I gave it the benefit of the doubt. On entering, the place was like a fridge although the welcome was warmish. It was eerily quiet and I immediately felt conspicuous as it was completely devoid of any atmosphere. A couple of other people came in a bit later and this helped....a bit. The decor was dated but there had been a vain, but valiant, attempt at celebrating Valentine's Day with the use of paper rose petals and love heart sweets on the tables and small butterflies stuck to the wall. It struck me as looking very odd indeed and only served to cheapen the place.

The food was OK but very average. As other reviews have noted, the Thai Green Curry was very watery and lacking any of the spice, taste and aromas of superior Thai restaurants. Likewise the Hot and Sour Chicken was very watery and seemed to contain a multitude of rogue ingredients with a very sharp aftertaste. I'd never had this before so had nothing to compare it against but, overall, the food was OK at best. The dishes were reasonably priced had they been of better quality, drinks were OK but soft drinks were overpriced; especially as I could hear the cans being opened behind the bar.

Deserts were offered but not partaken as we were keen to move on. It's not a very relaxing environment & once you have eaten, we didn't see much point in hanging around. When the bill came, 10% gratuity charge was already included and calculated on the final bill which I thought was far too presumptuous. This should be at the discretion of the diner and not assumed & if it had been more than 10%, I would have queried it. Continuing the somewhat wacky theme of the evening, rather than chocolates or mints we were given two fizzy cola bottle sweets with the bill???!!!??? I don't believe this to be a Thai custom but more likely a special offer down at Costco or the local cash and carry.

Overall, a distinctly average albeit inoffensive experience but we won't be going again. The people seem pleasant and hard-working but it has the ambience of a cross between a library and an igloo with very bland food. Avoid.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank GavGreen10
Norwich
“The worst Thai food ever!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We went to this restaurant on a Monday evening. We ordered tom yum soup with king prawns and Wonton Soup for our starters. My partner thought the Wonton soup was poor; the pork looked and tasted like sausage meat. However, my king prawn tom yum soup was satisfactory. The main course of green curry with beef was appalling: it had no aromatic flavours expected of this type of curry, was very watery and the beef was very poor quality. We also ordered their 'signature dish' of stuffed aubergine with chicken, which too lacked flavour and was very dry.

The ambience of the restaurant was spoiled by the owners' crying baby and there were not any candles provided on the table. This created a characterless impression and one of unprofessionality.

We would strongly advise people to avoid this restaurant!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Honeypot66
“Good food but expensive drinks”
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

We visited this restaurant after a long time on Trip Advisor. Marlborough has a limited offering of decent eateries at reasonable prices.

Service was excellent considering everything bar the cooking was being done by one person. We were charged £2.80 for a can of coke, so a very poor score for that. Portions were as you would expect for an oriental eatery. Small but filling. Food was a good quality but I admit I have had better. A service charge of 10% is added to the bill too.

Ambience was nice and relaxing however it could do with a bit of modernising but I feel this may remove the uniqueness to the place considering Marlborough is full of chain restaurants.