Review of The Polly Tearooms

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had always been meaning to visit Polly’s tea room since moving to the area five years ago as it had always looked so inviting from the outside, so my wife and I had high expectations but sadly these were not to be met. The first thing that stuck us when perusing the menu was the high prices, which in some ways is unsurprising, Marlborough being the home of the poor little rich kid, and I should imagine rents for premises in the High Street are extortionate. The second thing we noticed was that although the décor is cosy the place looks tired and in dire need of a lick of paint. The wooden cladded wall next to our table was liberally stained with splatters of either tea or coffee. I plumped for an omelette and my wife a baked potato with coleslaw. My omelette was rather limp and undercooked and the portion of chips was the smallest I have ever been served – roughly a measly eight or so chips! My wife’s baked potato was overcooked/old, the inside watery and wet, not fluffy. The portion of coleslaw was generous, but was very wet, with way too much mayonnaise. The meagre salad garnish on both our plates consisted of overripe tomatoes, a few slices of cucumber and tired leaves. The dressing though was tasty. The price for each of these dishes was £6.95 – way too much for such poor quality. I’ve had better omelettes and baked potatoes in good ol’greasy spoon kinds of places. One of the other reviewers has titled his review as ‘Pretentious’ and I would agree with that along with overpriced and disappointing. We shall not be back.

1 Thank Dave G

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had always been meaning to visit Polly’s tea room since moving to the area five years ago as it had always looked so inviting from the outside, so my wife and I had very high expectations but these sadly were not to be met. The first thing that stuck us when perusing the menu was the high prices, which in some ways is unsurprising, Marlborough being the home of the poor little rich kid, and I should imagine rents for premises in the High Street are extortionate. The second thing we noticed was that although the décor is cosy the place looks tired and in dire need of a lick of paint. The wooden cladded wall next to our table was liberally stained with splatters of either tea or coffee. I plumped for an omelette and my wife a baked potato with coleslaw. My omelette was rather limp and undercooked and the portion of chips was the smallest I have ever been served – roughly a measly eight or so chips! My wife’s baked potato was overcooked/old, the inside watery and wet, not fluffy. The portion of coleslaw was generous, but was very wet, with way too much mayonnaise. The meagre salad garnish on both our plates consisted of overripe tomatoes, a few slices of cucumber and tired leaves. The dressing though was tasty. The price for each of these dishes was £6.95 – way too much for such poor quality. I’ve had better omelettes and baked potatoes in good ol’greasy spoon kinds of places. One of the other reviewers has titled his review as ‘Pretentious’ and I would agree with that along with overpriced and disappointing. We shall not be back.

Reading
“Polly's popularity is unjustified”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We ate a light lunch, when the tea-rooms were full. The service was hectic, so the atmosphere was not relaxing.

The ploughman's plate was not enjoyable, except for the cheese, which was a tiny sliver. The white roll provided was tasteless. Another dish had an overcooked fried egg.

Previously, we have experienced better food at Polly's, but as there are many alternatives in Marlborough, we will not return.

Chievely
“Sad to see it go downhill”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have always taken friends to Marlborough and usually to Polly tearooms as it has always delivered an experience.
The cakes on display still look good but the service is lacking and the new décor although meant to be fresh, does not feel quite right.
I still enjoyed my cake but our visitors were most disappointed with their cream teas, the scones were dry and quite flat.
We may give it another go next time we are shopping, before we take friends again.

1 Thank John D
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surprise when escaping from the rain”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Spending a rainy afternoon wandering round Marlborough and popped into the Polly Tearooms to warm up and have a hot drink. Seated and served promptly, the decor and layout is quaint and pleasant, with linen table cloths and country furniture which is quite appropriate to an old fashioned Tearoom. Everywhere was clean and we noticed empty tables were cleaned and refreshed immediately. My husband had an extremely large piece of blueberry and lemon cake from the large choice on offer which he said was delicious, and with a pot of tea for him plus a latte for me we were pleasantly surprised to find the bill was only £5.95 - extremely good value for money! There is also a nice variety of cakes, chocolates and preserves for sale - overall a little gem of a find.