“Enjoyable visit”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hook B&B and Inns
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable visit”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic meal here last night. Always a popular restaurant so we arrived early and were given a table by the window. Watching the sun go down whilst drinking a glass of wine was a perfect start to a meal. The meal itself was absolutely fantastic,instead of the normal fare of chips and peas I had bubble and squeak with mine,it even had sprouts in it! Would recommend this place,only down side is the chairs are wooden and could do with some cushions on them but don't let that put you off.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicemanNige

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
swindon
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We use this pub/restaurant frequently and are always pleased , the staff are friendly and the food is always lovely, we would recommend it for good food,the menu is varied and the specials board usually has some nice surprises,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We visited this hotel/restaurant last July and have just returned for another night's stay and evening meal. I love this hotel.
The restaurant was busy on a Saturday night with a mixture of hotel guests and locals who seem to come for the really good food. The staff coped very well,and the service was quick and very polite. Between four of us we had lamb shank, fillet steak and sausages/mash. All the meals were delicious. Dessert for me was Banoffee pie- a huge portion and yummy.
Our room was very clean and tidy with everything you need. The whole setting is quiet and peaceful.
Breakfast the following morning was full English- again superb.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
gloucestershire
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Just had a Turkey lunch here and although place is nice the food was not good. Sausage and bacon appeared under cooked in fact just not cooked but i risked it. One hour later had back stomach which I could only put down to the food.

Service was very slow but to be fair it was very busy with xmas parties.

I doubt I would want to return which is a pity as otherwise it is a pleasant place to have a drink.

Note I did not stay here so cannot comment upon rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Swindon
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a family meal on a cold Saturday in November.

The restaurant is set at the rear of the bars and is a reasonably pleasant room. The service was friendly but a little slow and some of us felt the staff could have been a little more knowledgeable and helpful with regard to what was served with certain dishes.

The food itself was cooked quite well and the prices seemed reasonable, although we were not picking up the bill, so cannot confirm this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I went in a group of six. I can't remember what I had as a starter but I do remember having some garlic bread with cheese from from one of our friends as it was the thickest and most gigantuous portions I have ever witnessed. Man vs Food would have been proud to have a go at it.
My main was pork chops and again two massive chops. You know when you sit down with friends and family and you always end up wishing you had ordered something one of the others had in the group; well I was that other person. Everyone wanted my dinner. The sauce was fantastic as were the vegetables. Everyone had a good time and the food was tasty. Would go back.
I never ordered a desert which was just as well. My partner who love her deserts ordered the biggest cheesecake I have ever seen and I had to help her finish it off. It was lush.

Room Tip: order the garlic bread as a side dish. One order per four people would be about right.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have been to this pub many times over the last few years and have never been dissappointed. Can't comment on the accommodation as we have never stayed. We visited this week with some friends and the food was excellent. I had the smoked haddock on mash with cheese sauce and it was wonderful. They do an all day breakfast type dish sold as a skillet which is also nice. My wife had the Steak and Stilton pie which was excellent and won't leave you hungry. The choice of beer is not huge but is sufficient and well kept, and there seems to be a rotation of local beers which adds to the interest. Easy parking and good level access to all areas. The place is always clean including the toilets

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blandford49
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
The Schoolhouse Hotel
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#8 of 24 in Swindon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,765 reviews

Been to The Bolingbroke Arms? Share your experiences!