“Below Standard”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hook B&B and Inns
gloucestershire
“Below Standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Just had a Turkey lunch here and although place is nice the food was not good. Sausage and bacon appeared under cooked in fact just not cooked but i risked it. One hour later had back stomach which I could only put down to the food.

Service was very slow but to be fair it was very busy with xmas parties.

I doubt I would want to return which is a pity as otherwise it is a pleasant place to have a drink.

Note I did not stay here so cannot comment upon rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Swindon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

We had a family meal on a cold Saturday in November.

The restaurant is set at the rear of the bars and is a reasonably pleasant room. The service was friendly but a little slow and some of us felt the staff could have been a little more knowledgeable and helpful with regard to what was served with certain dishes.

The food itself was cooked quite well and the prices seemed reasonable, although we were not picking up the bill, so cannot confirm this.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chippenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I went in a group of six. I can't remember what I had as a starter but I do remember having some garlic bread with cheese from from one of our friends as it was the thickest and most gigantuous portions I have ever witnessed. Man vs Food would have been proud to have a go at it.
My main was pork chops and again two massive chops. You know when you sit down with friends and family and you always end up wishing you had ordered something one of the others had in the group; well I was that other person. Everyone wanted my dinner. The sauce was fantastic as were the vegetables. Everyone had a good time and the food was tasty. Would go back.
I never ordered a desert which was just as well. My partner who love her deserts ordered the biggest cheesecake I have ever seen and I had to help her finish it off. It was lush.

Room Tip: order the garlic bread as a side dish. One order per four people would be about right.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We have been to this pub many times over the last few years and have never been dissappointed. Can't comment on the accommodation as we have never stayed. We visited this week with some friends and the food was excellent. I had the smoked haddock on mash with cheese sauce and it was wonderful. They do an all day breakfast type dish sold as a skillet which is also nice. My wife had the Steak and Stilton pie which was excellent and won't leave you hungry. The choice of beer is not huge but is sufficient and well kept, and there seems to be a rotation of local beers which adds to the interest. Easy parking and good level access to all areas. The place is always clean including the toilets

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blandford49
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We found the hotel to be well located to use as a base for travelling around the Salisbury, Bath and Cirencester areas. The owners Simon and Jo are excellent hosts. They provide excellent service are very professional and attentive to your needs. The guest rooms are very clean and comfortable. The restaurant is excellent but if you are there on a Saturday evening ensure you book because when we we there it was extremely busy. Having eaten there I can understand why the locals dine there. Breakfast was also very good. The gardens are beautiful and provide a relaxing place to sit in the sun for a relaxing break. We stayed there on Sunday night and were looked after very well indeed by Simon's parents. His father, Tom, is a natural raconteur and we spent a wonderfully entertaining evening sharing his stories. We would thoroughly recommend the hotel to others

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have been visiting the Bolingbroke Arms for several years now and have been consistently delighted with both the standard of service and the food quality. Simon runs a very well organised hotel and Alex is everybody's best friend. If you are looking for good food in a relaxed and friendly environment then please dont miss out on this gem.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Oakley_inc
swindon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

i went to the bolingbroke arms today to be very dissapointed , i was with a party of 14 for a 70th birthday party, firstly we all ordered and 5 or 10 minutes later the waitress come and re checked our order, once our meal arrived our my potatoes and meat were cold, finaly the veg came out, we were not offered any mustard etc and had to ask, when i asked for horseradish thy came back and said they didnt have any! another member of the party had the fishcakes which were tasteless, another had the steak and asked for it medium rare and it was rare!!! the puddings looked lovely! when ordering choice was limited as most things had ran out! i had a coconut creme brulee, didnt taste of coconut at all my partner had the baileys cheesecake which i tried, very good size portion but tasteless. for the price of the food i did ot think it was worth it and i will not be hurrying to go back, during our meal nobody asked how our meal was or if we wanted more drinks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank youngswindon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hook
The Schoolhouse Hotel
Village Hotel Swindon
Village Hotel Swindon
#8 of 24 in Swindon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,704 reviews

Been to The Bolingbroke Arms? Share your experiences!