“2 night stay in the stables. Great restaurant too!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Angel Inn

The Angel Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hindon
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Isle of Portland, United Kingdom
“2 night stay in the stables. Great restaurant too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here at the weekend for two nights out in the old stables upstairs room. What a lovely big room with a comfy big bed, a sofa & coffee table plus all the usual furniture. The room was big with a lovely carpet. It felt very clean. There was a tv which I didn't use. The bathroom also had a decent shower and was very modern. I was here with a party so I went into a few different rooms, and I liked mine the most! Unless you need a lot of light then pick a room in the main building.
The breakfasts were good with a good choice, along with fruit, cereals etc. I had mushrooms on toast it was delicious! I also had dinner one night and selected fillet steak. It was really good, I usually stick to the Bath Arms in Frome for steak, but here's it's also excellent! There's a lot of fish on the dinner menu which isn't really for me.
The bar area & restaurant is very smart, like a mixture of old vintage pub & modern dining areas. The staff and owner are all friendly.
It's a good pub I would return here.

• Visited July 2013

Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Great food pub off the A303”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I often stop off at the Angel Inn when we travel on the A303. We go to the Glastonbury Festival most years and it has become a bit of a tradition to stop here on the way back. Always a bit sad for Glastonbury to end so stopping here always cheers us up and it's also brilliant to sit down and be served a well prepared meal after a weekend of festival van food. Had a really warm welcome from the landlord, saying he had been expecting us and would have been disappointed if we hadn't turned up! Settled into our usual table in the bar area and were brought our drinks and the specials menu straight away while we had a chat with the landlord about our weekend at Glastonbury. My husband choose the whole plaice with caper butter with a side of minted new potatoes. I opted to splurge and have a burger with blue cheese AND bacon!!! with a side of skinny fries. My burger was fantastic with a nicely grilled soft lovely bun. My husband's plaice was fresh and well seasoned, if a little on the small side, but that wasn't really a problem as my burger was huge and he was happy to help me with it. Finished it all off with a very decent espresso, said goodbye until next year and headed home happy.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Mean portions, average food, high price - general feeling you are being taken for a ride.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We came here for family birthday party. Menu looked good. Everyone was disappointed in starter: tiny ramekin of pate and one slice of mother's pride, weird sticky not devilled kidneys, mussels and crayfish with no bread, spoon or CRAYFISH! Mussels dry and overcooked and 8 of them for £7! Asked about crayfish twice - chef apologised he forgot to put them in... Not offered them, not offered money off. Stingy skewer of salmon 4 small pieces and some prawns. Steaks ok but pricey. I was still starving by the time the uninspiring pudding list turned up. I had the tiny suet pudding because it looked filling. Still hungry. If you are round here go to Beckford Arms down rd. They had wedding on that night or we would have.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Rural retreat for the weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Sorry we're late in reviewing but been away again so now catching up. We stayed in the 'Partridge' room which was a real treat, four poster bed and sloping floors. What more could you ask from an ancient coaching inn. Bed comfortable and room well decorated, clean and well appointed.
Landlord attentive and friendly, delightful waiting staff - special mention for Patsy? (Saturday breakfast waitress) whose advice was invaluable for our visit to Salisbury. Excellent breakfast selection which really set us up for the day. Evening meals also of very good quality if somewhat limited in range. The 'special' was the same both nights and the menu in general was fixed.
Although a little bit more expensive than than the average this is not your average pub in your average village and far more value for money then the vaunted 'Lamb at Hindon by Boisdale' across the road. Perhaps the latter is a London thing!!

• Visited May 2013
Derry, United Kingdom
“Sticky carpets and spilt beer”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Terrible, enough said. Dirty flat beer and noisey. Place needed a good clean, Everything a pub should not be.

Visited May 2013