“Great Host, lovely hotel”
Review of The Castle Hotel

The Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Devizes
Reviewed December 21, 2013

It is good to meet a landlord who is passionate about customer service. He was very attentive and catered for our every need.

This is a lovely 15th century hotel with quirky uneven floors in the rooms. The rooms have matching furniture and well laid out bathrooms with plenty of space.

Ear plugs are supplied because of the church bells, but not a problem.

We stayed the night after our work Christmas party which the hotel hosted really well, I recommend using this venue again.

Downside? Only one, no dance floor, just carpet, but hey I took my shoes off.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kaz B
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear Kaz

Thanks for staying at the Castle, I'm glad you had such a great time at your Christmas party. Thanks so much for leaving such a lovely review, I've passed your kind words onto John our General Manager.

Have a lovely Christmas and we hope to see you again in the new year.

Cheers!

There are newer reviews for The Castle Hotel

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stopped in at the The Castle Hotel last year and promised ourselves a return visit. The staff, without exception, were still brilliant. They're were so friendly and told us of lots of place to visit and they were even happy to recommend a local indian restaurant when we decided to eat out. Our room was clean and spacious with a comfy bed but the bathroom was a little small, but perhaps I'm being picky. Devizes is a lovely town to wander around and we even found a couple of hidden gems. Although we were told by a rather angry postman that there is no public access to Devizes Castle itself!! After a cold day out exploring it was lovely to have a Baileys in front of the log fire to thaw out. What a treat and a little bit romantic!! Would definitely recommend the Castle Hotel for a relaxing stay if you ever get down that way.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BeeTeeIQ
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear BeeTeeIQ

Thanks so much for such a lovely review. It's great to receive such positive feedback and such a boost for the staff to read your kind words.

I'm delighted that you chose to visit us again and had such a good time in Devizes.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel is set in a lovely location and looks stunning from the outside. The rooms however were very tired and shabby. Unfortunately we felt some of the staff were a little cavalier and not very welcoming. Although the breakfast was nice, it seemed that there was a lack of effort in other areas which is a shame because it could be a lovely place.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear T E

Thank you for staying at the Castle Hotel and for taking time to post your feedback. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with some elements of your stay. It's unclear from your comments whether or not you brought the issues to the attention of John our General Manager. If you had, I fully expect that they would have been dealt with swiftly and efficiently.

Regarding the rooms, we are embarking on a full redecoration programme in the rooms beginning in early January, as our last redecoration was in February 2012. Clearly this will not help your experience, so I'm sorry that this impacted your stay.

With regards the staff being cavalier, this really concerns me. I can honestly say that since acquiring the business nearly 2 years ago, I have not received one piece of negative feedback on staff attitude or customer care. The staff have always been fantastic and as you'll see from many other reviews are often highly complimented. Your experience is a clear exception to the norm at the Castle and for this please accept my genuine apology. Staff have been made aware of your feedback.

Thanks again for staying with us, I'm sorry that the experience was not up to our usual standards.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

When booking this hotel on the net from photos showing rooms etc. thought it looked great.
Specifically stated we wanted a delux double room with walkin shower. Arrived and when given our key proceeded up stairs and along narrow corridors and when we opened the door to our room we were convinced it could not be the one we booked and no walk-in shower. After returning to check-in counter we were informed they only had walkin showers in single rooms and the other problem was parking which was virtually inaccessible. Needless to say we did not stay as it was nothing at all like the impression we got on the net.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Eliza,

Thank you for choosing the Castle Hotel, I regret that you chose not to stay and enjoy our hospitality.

I'd like to apologise that you felt that the Castle Hotel was not the hotel for you and particularly that you got the wrong impression of our hotel from our website. Regarding the walk in shower, I'm sorry that we missed that request on your initial booking.

As you can see from the numerous positive reviews, we do all that we can to make things right for our customers. I'm sorry that this was not possible on your visit.

Please be assured that following your comments I have reviewed all of the information on our website. It does accurately reflect our hotel and indeed the photographs were all taken in the last 12 months. I'm comfortable that we do not misrepresent ourselves in any of our online or offline communications.

Once again, let me say that I'm sorry that the Castle Hotel was not appropriate for you needs.

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked into the castle with 2 sets of friends, one of which had got married that day and had decided to spend their wedding night at the castle.
The hotel was great, they checked us in quickly when we arrived as we had to get back to the wedding reception.
The hotel also kept the bar open for us to have one last drink before we went to bed, thanks very much to Cameron for this.
The hotel were not aware that it was our friends wedding night, but once informed they decorated bthe rok. with rose petals and candles and made our friends feel really special! Thanks for this.
The fantastic night was topped off with a tasty breakfast, with great choices. Many of the wedding party stayed in a different hotel and were very jealous when we told them how kind and friendly the staff at the castle had been.
Thank you for a great stay, will be back to stay again soon!

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear SparklyPurple

Thanks for choosing the Castle Hotel and thank you for such a fantastic review. I'm delighted that you and your friends were so well looked after on such an important occasion.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

despite arriving after midnight after a long trip from Ireland hotel staff were very accommodating in booking us in , they were very helpful and service was great the people were friendly and not afraid of a good old conversation its not often that in hotels staff stop and share a joke with you , two big thumbs up for the castle i loved my stay for my wedding excellent job

• Stayed: October 2013
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Kim,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your stay at the Castle Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time and found the staff to be friendly and engaging.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a difficult review for me because there was so much I liked about our stay here but then a few things we didn’t like….

I’ll start with the negative: We booked a family room because we were traveling with a 12 year old and wanted her to have her own bed. The room we were given was directly in front of the hotel at the corner. It was a VERY large room but incredibly noisy. This hotel sits on a busy road and there is a stop light right outside. So, all night long cars were stopping and then accelerating right outside the windows. They give earplugs and have treated the windows but it’s still quite loud. In addition, fairly late at night someone checked into the room next door and the way the two rooms were situated it was very loud. We could hear them coming and going, their TV program and their conversations in detail. In addition, it was warm in our room and though there are fans we couldn’t open the windows due to the noise. The room itself was fine (and QUITE large) but a bit tired looking.

The next morning we asked to see if there was another room that would accommodate the 3 of us. We were told that we could be moved but the only other family room was also at the front of the building. We decided to go for it figuring it had to be better than our last room. It was. It was still noisy but being away from that corner a bit seemed to help. We also didn’t have noise from adjoining rooms even though we knew there were people occupying them. This room seemed less dated and tired. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a modern room, but that’s not what we expected or wanted. The room was quite large. Again, it was quite hot in our room at times and no way to cool it except fans. We kept the windows open as long as we could in the evenings but due to the noise had to close it to sleep.

One last negative: Prior to leaving for our trip we contacted the hotel via email asking about laundry options. Our stay at this hotel was right in the middle of our European trip and if we could do laundry it would help us limit our packing. We received a response stating that the head housekeeper could do our laundry for a reasonable price. Because we were told this we packed light and most our clothes needed washing when we arrived. However, when we stopped at the front desk our first morning to inquire about this service we were met with blank stares and were told that was not something they could do. We didn’t make a fuss but it was frustrating. We were instead directed to some local Laundromats. I have no problem using Laundromats but we had not built ½ a day into our schedule to handle laundry. On a whim I ran across the street to a drycleaners and they were able to do our wash for us. They seemed to think we were crazy but they did it.

The positive: The staff here was incredibly nice and accommodating. They handled our room changed graciously. Housekeeping was well done and our room was very clean. The restaurant staff was also very friendly and the food was quite good. In fact, the dinner we had there one night was one of the best on our trip. One morning we watched the horse drawn wagon from the local brewery drop off a delivery at the hotel. It was very quaint.

I would recommend this hotel for travelers but be aware that rooms at the front might be somewhat loud and if it’s warm out your room might be warm at well. If you don’t need two beds I believe the rooms at the back might be a better option.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the front can be loud.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
CathedralHotel, Owner at The Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Elizabeth

Thank you for your balanced review of our hotel. I'm extremely grateful that you took time to post your comments and I'm delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for your very kind words about our staff and the quality of the food.

I'm very sorry that you found the rooms to be a little hot and noisy. Being a 17th century coaching inn, one of the pitfalls is the very central location in the town, which can cause noise in some rooms. I'm sorry that the earplugs and secondary glazing weren't sufficient on this occasion. We do endeavour to provide room changes wherever possible if our guests are at all uncomfortable.

Regards the lack of laundry facilities provided to you, please accept my 100% apology. We do provide laundry services in house, particularly when booked in advance. Our internal communications obviously let us and you down on this visit, I'm very sorry for your inconvenience. Staff have been fully briefed on the correct course of action in future.

Thanks again for staying with us and for recommending us to fellow travellers.

Kind regards