“Typical Wetherspoons”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Silk Mercer

The Silk Mercer
Ranked #30 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 01380 736760
Devizes
“Typical Wetherspoons”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ah, wherever you go you can rely on the same menu, similar surroundings and slow service at peak times. Good value and pleasant staff. Gets a bit rowdy as the evening wears on.

Visited February 2013

Devizes, England, United Kingdom
“Only if your desperate”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I am not one for eating in Wetherspoons as although it seems good value, the food is cheap and usually cold! I have been in for breakfast a few times the last being only yesterday. It was OK - most of it was cold namely beans, hash browns, bacon! But then they entered into a new league! On my breakfast were two eggs, one was cooked ok and the other was totally dried up and the middle had broken up and resembled something that looked like a half congealed plastic cheese slice with what resembled pancake mix stuck to the bottom! When the manager (white shirted guy?) put it in front of me I asked him what it was supposed to be and he looked surprised as if it was normal to have sonmething like this and asked if I wanted some more! Well yes I should think so. My issue here is a) why would the chef (using the term loosely) put that on a plate next to one that is cooked fine and b) the manager bring it out.
The place like all others I have had the misfortune to enter is dire - stick to coffee if your going in at least the machine does it and you can't get it wrong!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Nat M
Pub M, Manager at The Silk Mercer, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Nat

I am sorry to see that you didn't have a good experience when you visited us for breakfast. Could you possibly contact the pub on 01380 736760 and ask for myself, Chris Brooks, the Pub Manager (not the guy who wears a white shirt…) so we can discuss this and hope fully come to some sort of resolution for you?
Devizes
“Disgusting cold food !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

After arriving at 12.15 we never got served until 12.45 as ovens and coffee machine were out of order, then when the food did arrive it looked very unappealing and was cold, the onion rings (if you could call them that) looked like a pile of mashed batter. . .really horrible. I had a few bites of mine and decided it was'nt good enough so complained, but only got back the price of the burger! My glass was also mucky looking. . . ugh! Overall the appearence of the place looked quite shabby so I will definetly not be going back and would'nt recommend this place.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Lynn C
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Looking for some Good Bits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I agree with many of the comments of late, but, you can rarely fault the beers, normally excellent. The range of real ales, lagers and bottled alcohol is second to none. Food, we eat there about once a week, value for money cannot be matched. Staff / service (!), like any `Spoons`, there are too few staff, company policy? Look at the prices and you quickly realise where they save in overheads. Many of these staff are asked to work very long hours. Familiarity with some locals, therefore preferential service, I disagree with the approach but you find this in many pubs were locals are (thankfully) frequent drinkers.
I am not a member of staff nor related or familiar with the staff, but I do visit `Spoons` establishments up and down the country and observe. Staff/service levels do alter for the better but very rarely. Tim Martin needs to get in more often and do some observing himself, but I have good reason to feel he is being guided in the main by his regional managers that perhaps only tell him what he wants to know.
I am concerned about standards in the toilets, my father used to stay you can judge a `well run` pub by the cleanliness of its toilets, and yes there is some way to go at The Silk Mercer.

• Visited October 2012
Bruton, United Kingdom
“good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Liked the service here, and the food and the prices-great value for everyone . Right in the town centre so easy to park, which made it even more enjoyable.

Visited May 2012