“Upfront: I Didn't Stay But It's Perfect If You Like to Walk”

Southdown B&B / White Horse Walking Holidays
Ranked #8 of 20 Devizes B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco
“Upfront: I Didn't Stay But It's Perfect If You Like to Walk”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Hopefully TA will post this review. I did not stay overnight at this B&B but I spent the afternoon with Sue, saw her house and had lunch.

I was posting on various England forums with regards to an upcoming trip and had many responses from Sue (WhiteHorseWalker is her TA name). I did not plan to stop in Wiltshire but rather was heading to Somerset after landing at Heathrow. As I began to more closely plan my itinerary I realized I'd be going through Wiltshire. I admit to being a bit "cheeky" and PM'd Sue and asked if she would mind taking me on a walk around her town. (Her B&B specializes in those who are interested in walking about the White Horses of Wilshire.)

She was very kind in accepting the invitation I made for myself and I showed up looking a fright after 10 hours on a plane and 90 minutes of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. We made an unscheduled detour into Devizes as I locked us out of her house (oh, Sue, I'm still squirming over that one) but it was a lovely day and Sue's hospitality and friendliness made the jet lag and yes, some of my fears over taking myself off for a month's vacation alone, melt away. And to top all this off, she made me lunch!!

Her house is lovely with a large garden and wonderful conservatory -- a short and pleasant walk into Devizes. Sue herself is a wonderfully warm and caring hostess and her B&B is so pleasantly arranged with a great load of resources, especially targeting those who love to walk and amble the amazing English countryside.

I left wondering, if this is what she does for someone she "met" through the forums on TA, what does she do for her paying guests? I may never know ... but I think it would be worthwhile for anyone planning a trip to Devizes to find out!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 days and nights at the Southdown B&B. Our room was large, bright, airy, and immaculate. The semi-private adjoining lounge was well stocked with books, maps, postcards, beverages and snacks. Our hostess and host, Sue and Martyn, certainly went the extra mile to insure that we had the best time possible. Breakfasts were scrumptious and the mile or so walk through a tree lined and canopied path were the perfect beginnings to our exciting days. We had such a wonderful time, due in part to our attentive and caring hosts, that we are planning a return trip to the Southdown B&B again next year.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Sitting in the glass-walled conservatory eating a magnificent breakfast, looking out at the large green garden screened with trees, I was able to watch the many birds which visit this peaceful spot. The previous evening I walked down the adjacent lane, and met a young deer. Today at breakfast, I "met" Freddie the pheasant, who came up and stood right on the step to look in. This is how close you can get to nature here!
I had the White Room, which has two windows: one faces the front of the house; the other the fields at the side. At night, peace & quiet, and no street lights or busy roads. When darkness falls, it is complete. In the daytime, the house is filled with sunshine and light.
I come here when I want peace and quiet, nurturing, restful sleep, and good food.
After my walks, there was the hot tub in the garden, and I was always welcomed with a cup of herbal tea and some delicious homemade cakes.
Sue & Martyn are so kind and welcoming, and I already recommend this place to my friends and family. I haven't even mentioned the beautiful countryside; the guided walks that Sue arranges; the ancient and sacred "Quaker's Walk" beside the B&B, which leads into Devizes... and of course the proximity of Avebury, Stonehenge and many other places of interest.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Maidstone
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This was my second stay at Southdown and it was every bit as good as the first. Very comfy, clean room with a huge shower and views over the garden and surrounding countryside; imaginative breakfast choices every day (smoked salmon with scrambled eggs, creamy mushrooms on toast, smoked haddock and poached egg, huge croissants, blueberry and banana muffins); great walks on the doorstep as well as slightly further afield. All in all a brilliant holiday for walking.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Birmingham
Reviewed June 13, 2010

As a walking group we have visited hundreds of B&Bs and hotels all over the country and this is one of the best we have found. Sue is a very welcoming and well-organised hostess and her baking is superb.We had a very pleasant stroll into Devizes, along a green lane, for our evening meal. Breakfast was especially notable, with a full English from local produce of the very best or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon as an option.A fantastic fruit salad and bluberry muffins made it even more special.The whole house is full of the most fascinating artwork which makes it a very stimulating and peaceful base from which many local walks can begin.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
London, England
Reviewed May 13, 2010

Wonderful hosts, clean and lovely house, great breakfasts and afternoon tea. Kids loved the hot tub in the garden. Highly recommended for a relaxing and comfortable weekend break.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family