“Excellent as usual”

The Bistro & Cookery School
Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: International, British, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: As the original Bistro in Devizes (established 2003) we pride ourselves on being true to the original concept - that is a small, family run establishment (usually with a chef owner) providing a menu that often features slow cooked, seasonal dishes. The setting is traditional in that it is informal, relaxed and cosy. However, we are known for food that 'tickles the tastebuds', is influenced by a range of cuisines and always has The Bistro 'twist" to it. Open both at lunch time and in the evening, we have the distinction of also running a cookery school, now known as Vaughan's Cookery School and operating from another location in the town. Committed to sharing a passion for good food, Chef Peter Vaughan is a member of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts and of the Slow Food Movement.
“Excellent as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Myself and my partner ate from the standard menu, everything was great as usual, we live in Devizes and try and eat here every couple of months, the food is always exceptional and Peters passion for food is contagious. Easily the best restaurant for miles and your only true choice in Devizes. The meze platters are brilliant but its hard to recommend anything in particular because the menu varies on every visit depending on the time of year and what's in season. Just go along and let them inspire you, you won't be disappointed! (House red is very well priced and very good)

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank DomT8

Salisbury
“Amazing Persian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I attended an evening of inspirational women and was made to feel extremely welcome by the owner. The food was an array of Persian dishes absolutely delicious made with local food and fair trade ingredients. Service was excellent I would definately go back and recommend to my friends.

Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“One of my Favourite Restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I live about 20 miles from Devizes but regularly make the journey for the food. Peter Vaughan has a style of cooking he calls "naturally balanced" - I see this as honouring all parts of the meal so bread, dressings and vegetables receive equal respect as meat or fish. My partner does not eat gluten and Peter and Sous chef Miguel are adept at tailoring dishes to this and most (all?) dietary requirements.

2 Thank Greenfid
Devizes, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal but a long wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We decided to visit the bistro with some friends who came to stay with us. As always the food was excellent and creative. The wait in between the starter and main meal was nearly and hour and close to being a party pooper with my husband saying he was going to get a kebab he was so hungry. My advise make sure you have lots of time if you eat there so you can enjoy the food...some of us do not have that luxury however!

1 Thank Reesy1972
Devizes, United Kingdom
“'Great Birthday Meal'”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

My family and I made a return visiit to The Bistro to celebrate my birthday this evening. Great food cooked by chef Miguel and apprentice chef Matt. Excellent service and their knowledge about the food was a great added bonus. I think this was the probably the nicest meal we have eaten there so far and will definitely be returning! Would highly recommend a visit tot The Bistro!