“Fantastic take-away special”

Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Devizes
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: As the original Bistro in Devizes (established 2003) we pride ourselves on being true to the original concept - that is a small, family run establishment (usually with a chef owner) providing a menu that often features slow cooked, seasonal dishes. The setting is traditional in that it is informal, relaxed and cosy. However, we are known for food that 'tickles the tastebuds', is influenced by a range of cuisines and always has The Bistro 'twist" to it. Open both at lunch time and in the evening, we have the distinction of also running a cookery school, now known as Vaughan's Cookery School and operating from another location in the town. Committed to sharing a passion for good food, Chef Peter Vaughan is a member of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts and of the Slow Food Movement.
“Fantastic take-away special”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I popped into the Bistro today to get some of their lovely soup. Instead, Miguel (the Bistro chef) , asked me if I'd like a special instead. Within 5 minutes, he'd put together the most delicious wraps imaginable. Truly fantastic! Thanks, Miguel, for my very lovely lunch!!

• Visited February 2013
PeterVaughan, Owner at The Bistro & Cookery School, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review. Many people are not aware that we do a range of takeaway food, including our tasty homemade soup and bread or the famous falafels. The new street trading laws have made it more difficult to sell our takeaway food outside The Bistro,so we're glad that you came inside inside to get 'food on the go'. Happy eating and we look forward to serving you again.

Devizes
“brilliant day!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have eaten at Bistro many times and it is always be great. Friendly and knowlegable staff and great tasting food. This is the first time I have done a cookery course and I hope it is n't the last , as it was really good fun. well thought out and imaginative food with the right balance between watching demonstrations , cooking yourself and of course eating ! I left inspired to try to make more spanish food and keep making my own bread too.

“a great little find”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having stayed overnight in Devizes, we booked this restaurant for dinner in advance and what a joy it was, the food and the flavours were excellent, service spot on and accompanied by a very good wine that was reasonably priced. I loved the idea of themed menus, the time we visited was a Spanish one and look forward to returning to sample the food from other regions - thoroughly recommend a visit if looking for a place to eat in Devizes.

• Visited February 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This month's theme - Spanish Cuisine!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I always enjoy visiting Peter and his team at 'The Bistro' in Devises. Peter is well travelled and brings back excellence in cuisine from all around the world, and often has themed periods reflecting the best of what he's learned.

Yesterday evening was Spanish themed and the ford was just exquisite! All the way from bread made from spelt, through the divine tapas, to the beautifully cooked sea bass, spinach and vegetables, and all at a very reasonable cost. Great atmosphere, great service and attention to detail and great food! Fantastic!

I've also attended several of Peters cookery classes and have learned a great deal about the significance of natural produce and balancing the flavours in our food.

We'd thoroughly recommend both to anyone!

Devizes, United Kingdom
“A cracking little restaurant.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I have been eating in the Bistro on a fairly regular basis since we moved to Devizes a little over three years ago. I only wish I had known about it before then. We mainly go to the themed nights which give you the chance to try a variety of dishes and tatses from the far flung corners of the globe. Every one we have tried so far has been a revelation. The food is always excellent with a range of dishes that are truly a delight to eat. And unless you have a particularly voracious appetite, believe me, you will not leave hungry.The combinations of taste and texture are just remarkable and every mouthful an absolute pleasure. The service is always outsanding and the staff always friendly and polite. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, though booking in advance is adviseable if youre planning a weekend visit. A real little gem in the heart of Devizes. Already looking forward to my next visit.