“Excellent for couples with children”
Review of Rectory Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crudwell
Rectory Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Crudwell B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2009

This is true adult indulgent luxury yet still manages to be baby and child friendly without loosing any of its decadence! We stayed whist I was heavily pregnant and then returned with our little one 6 months later and have planned another trip soon. The only reason we havent been more is because it is a small intimate hotel and very popular and therefore often booked up!
i thouroughly recommend this hotel to anyone with or without children. the restauraunt is lovely, they offer a child listening service if you want to dine alone, or can provide babysitters.
the gardens are fantastic in the summer for chilling out in and they have a bar full of games and books for you to use during your stay as well as a dvd library to take to your bedrooms.
the sudely room is red and sultry and has a beautiful 4 poster bed and the leckhampton is large light and airy with white and pastel colours. both delicous!
breakfast is superb.
worth a visit is the flying duck pub in nearby kemble and tetbury for the shops.
it is in the middle of nowhere in a tiony hamlet so if you like outdoor walks this is great.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank gemclover

Reviewed January 20, 2009

From the moment we arrived we felt like we were relaxing in the country house of old friends rather than staying in a hotel. Every area is beautifully decorated but homely, and the staff could not be more helpful. The rooms are lovely. We stayed in a standard room one night (which being on the first floor had beautifully high windows and was very light but had only a shower, no bath) then one the next stage up, which had a bath but smaller windows as it was in the attic. Both were gorgeous. We ate in the pub one night and the restaurant the next, and actually preferred the relaxed atmosphere of the pub overall but the food was excellent in both. I could not recommend this place more highly, if you are thinking of staying there, then definitely go for it!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Each component part of this hotel is strong yet somehow they are not working together to create the promised luxury package. The house is fantastic - soooo tastefully furnished, and the general ambiance is one of chic, relaxed country house living. The food is great - a fantastic steak and chunky chips, generous portions and cooked just as I asked. My girl- friend had fish which was cooked to perfection. Have the ice cream - it is yum! My only gripe and it is only a very tiny one about the food is that I would have enjoyed the side salad better had it been served on a separate plate. The staff are warm and friendly. The room was smallish and the bath was a real disappointment - much too small for what I am looking for in luxury accomodation. Bedding fantastic - crisp, white linen and soft duvet. So...what didn't work. Essentially what would bring all these component parts together are staff who link them all up. We sat in the lounge and had to ask for afternoon tea - this was despite staff having come in a couple of times, looked around and then going out again without checking whether there was anything we required. Staff brought the tea in and didn't wipe the table down which was dirty from the mess left by previous guests. We then wanted a drink before dinner and had to find staff to serve us. The fire almost went out and as it got colder we chose to go and find staff to advise them of this as there were no logs in the basket for us to keep the fire stoked. That is not what I am looking for on a luxury break. I want staff to be vigilant and attentive to the needs of guests, I want them to pre-empt my requests and be working to create an atmosphere which is cosy, warm and where my having to ask for things is kept to a minimum. This experience will not put me off going again but I do hope that staff have some training/input to help them better align the way they take up their role with what the business is meant to deliver.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank HampshireAnnie
Reviewed October 15, 2008

A very nice hotel with a nice dinner menu. Our room was very nice and the bathroom was of good size. I thought the dining room funiture could stand an upgrade. The grounds are very nice and deserve taking the time to walk around. Over all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary, having had to cancel a trip to Rome due to a family bereavement. The hotel was featured in Red magazine and also appears on the Mr & Mrs Smith website.

We had one of the "superior" rooms, which had some pretty old furniture in it, hence the "shabby chic" epithet above! It was a decent size and the bathroom was nice. As someone else mentioned you have to ask if you want tea/coffee making facilities.

We ate at the hotel and the food was great, although nothing on the dessert menu enticed my husband or me. Service was very good indeed.

The hotel is very nice and the staff excellent - I just didn't feel it was quite luxurious enough to warrant its price tag.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2008

We chose to stay at The Rectory because of its high rating from other TripAdvisor reviewers. However, even allowing for the style of the hotel not being particularly to our liking, an objective assessment of our stay makes it impossible to echo some of the more enthusiastic recent reviews. It wasn't bad - just very mixed. For example, our 'superior' room had the most comfortable bed I have slept in for a long time, but both the (white) flannels provided had dirty marks ingrained in them and the shower emitted little more than a trickle from its invitingly large head. The room was spacious but not particularly well appointed, with nothing to invite the guest into the room on arrival. There were no coffee-making facilities, though when coffee was requested from reception it appeared quickly and at no extra cost. It is perhaps unfortunate that we had just come from another hotel nearby that cost less but was vastly superior in almost every way.
There comes a point where 'relaxed and informal' slips into 'casual', and given the relatively high cost of the room and how little was provided for the money, The Rectory would have to try harder in the way it prepares and presents its rooms before we could honestly rate the experience above average.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I think the Rectory is a recent refurbishment and rebranding of a previous establishment. It's been done in the modern, chic style that would be familiar to readers of the Mr & Mrs Smith guides.

The shared areas of the hotel are beautifully designed without feeling overdone. You can play boules in the large garden at the back and there's a swimming pool for residents' use only.

Breakfast - excellent - is in the restaurant, as of course is dinner if you choose to eat in the hotel. If not, the only other choice in Crudwell is the Potting Shed pub which is also a recent refurb and is run by the owners of the hotel. In fact you can have your bill from the pub added to your hotel bill which is quite convenient.

Our bedroom was nice with a lovely view across the garden and the church (for which this was once of course the rectory). I would say that the standard of decoration while perfectly acceptable was not quite of the highest level you might expect in a top-end boutique hotel. But then again, nor are the prices. There was a radio with iPod dock on the bedside table, which is a nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank d0gwalker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crudwell
Best Western Mayfield House Hotel
#2 of 8 in Cirencester
The Old Bell Hotel
The Old Bell Hotel
#2 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to Rectory Hotel? Share your experiences!