“Clean But Otherwise Average”

Best Western Mayfield House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crudwell
GreenLeadersSilver level
Thame, United Kingdom
“Clean But Otherwise Average”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We went to Mayfield House as the result of a Travelzoo offer, mainly on the promise of a gourmet dining experience. The hotel was functional, rather than luxurious and, from a decor point of view, felt like a trip back into the 'seventies'. There was a definite 'corporate branding/cost saving' feel, rather than a 'push the boat out' feel about everything. In our experience, hotels are defined by the 'little details' that make a difference and here we had plastic 'glasses' in the bathroom, rather than real ones and the soap/shampoo etc, was bolted to the bathroom wall, presumably in case we might try to make off with it. There were 2 quite steep steps into the bathroom and there was no bath and I think both points should have been mentioned in advance. We had no real issue with either, but I suspect that some people might have done. It is also worth mentioning that the shower was the feeblest I have ever come across.

As already mentioned, we visited Mayfield House ostensibly on the promise of fine dining and didn't really get that either. My wife had the crispy duck & noodle salad starter, which was oily & 'claggy' and had a bone in it. My two parts of my 'trio of lamb' were good, but the cutlet was almost raw. To be fair, the waiter conveyed abject apologies from the chef and offered us a complementary liqueur, which was accepted. However, I have noticed similar comments from other Tripadvisor contributors and it is therefore not an isolated incident.

On the plus side, everything was clean and well presented and all the staff were friendly & helpful and that always makes up for a lot of ills.

Room Tip: Room 21 is a large, airy double aspect room at the front of the hotel and, but 2 steep steps down in...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have just returned from 2 nights including breakfasts and evening meals. The hotel is small and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The room we had was comfortable and adequate rather than luxurious. Where the hotel does excel is in respect of food. The breakfasts were good. The evening meals were extremely good and the layout of restaurant itself was excellent.

Room Tip: get a room in the main hotel building
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just returned from a stay at Mayfield House Hotel. Wow, I'm lost for words.The rooms are Clean and comfortable, the staff are friendly and helpful. The management are a pleasure to talk to, and nothing is too much trouble.I never thought I could go to a hotel, and not find something to complain about. Well I just have. I have already booked another stay for later in the year, and am looking forward to my stay there. This hotel deserves to go from strength to strength.

Room Tip: Had a cottage room in the grounds. Excellent.
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Appears to be a lot of mixed reviews for this Hotel and having just had a one-night stay I see why.

Frank on reception was very helpful and gave us the experience of his local knowledge, room 31 was basic but clean, evening meal enjoyable but portions are small and without the Travelzoo voucher, I certainly wouldn't have been happy paying the listed prices.
The beer & lager was flat and had to be exchanged, but the overall experience was very pleasant and with good weather and my first visit to the Cotswold, our party had a lovely break.

1 Thank Balanced54
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were visiting our son in Cirencester and decided to stay here for a couple of nights on a special Internet deal including dinner for one night. The price seemed reasonable. On arrival the hotel looks fairly attractive but once you step inside you are back int he 1970s. I've been there once and I've moved on, it is the 21st century after all. If you have mobility problems be aware there seem to be steps everywhere. Our bedroom was fairly basic (no5). Double bed, uncomfortable pillows. The ensuite was up quite a steep step and the shower up yet another step. The shower was tiny with a curtain and just about managed to force out a very weak head of water which took ages to warm up. The hand basin and shower tray were yellow and it's a long time since I've been in a hotel without mixer taps. There was plenty of hanging and drawer space & a kettle and flat screen TV plus 2 easy chairs.
Breakfast time you help yourself to cereal , fruit juice, yoghourt and fresh fruit and then order hot food from the menu. This is fine unless you don't want a cooked breakfast. There are no cold meats or cheeses or fresh bread available other than toast. Serving staff polite.
Our included dinner gave me two Firsts. I have never ever had to send back either a glass of wine or a meal but I had to do both. The house red had a really strange flavour and my duck noodle salad was indescribable. With the tiny shards of duck I was expected to eat, I could have inscribed my name on the table top with them. The chef should be ashamed of himself to allow such a dreadful meal to leave his kitchen. The staff were apologetic. I hate complaining, it ruins the evening but I certainly wasn't going to accept inferior food. We weren't charged for the wine but got no recompense for the course I didn't eat as we had already prepaid. C'est la Vie.
The hotel was almost entirely full of people of a certain age as indeed are my husband and I but we have moved on from the 70 's. The problem is that there will be no young people to fill the gap after we drop off the planet unless there is a massive modernisation programme.. Stop pretending you are a high quality establishment charging high prices and deliver the goodies.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FerringFairy
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The welcome, friendliness, helpfulness, restaurant were absolutely wonderfull. Location great.

The bedroom no. 7 was very good for a 3 star Hotel.

Why should I have to make this report into a 200 caracter story?

Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a very comfortable stay at a very cold time of the year. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was comfortable, warm and clean. The restaurant food was outstanding, it was imaginative, beautifully cooked and presented and not unreasonably priced considering the quality. If this restaurant was nearer our home we would be visiting it all the time. We would definitely go again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crudwell
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Malmesbury
Clarence Court Hotel
Clarence Court Hotel
#4 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Best Western Mayfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!