We went to Mayfield House as the result of a Travelzoo offer, mainly on the promise of a gourmet dining experience. The hotel was functional, rather than luxurious and, from a decor point of view, felt like a trip back into the 'seventies'. There was a definite 'corporate branding/cost saving' feel, rather than a 'push the boat out' feel about everything. In our experience, hotels are defined by the 'little details' that make a difference and here we had plastic 'glasses' in the bathroom, rather than real ones and the soap/shampoo etc, was bolted to the bathroom wall, presumably in case we might try to make off with it. There were 2 quite steep steps into the bathroom and there was no bath and I think both points should have been mentioned in advance. We had no real issue with either, but I suspect that some people might have done. It is also worth mentioning that the shower was the feeblest I have ever come across.
As already mentioned, we visited Mayfield House ostensibly on the promise of fine dining and didn't really get that either. My wife had the crispy duck & noodle salad starter, which was oily & 'claggy' and had a bone in it. My two parts of my 'trio of lamb' were good, but the cutlet was almost raw. To be fair, the waiter conveyed abject apologies from the chef and offered us a complementary liqueur, which was accepted. However, I have noticed similar comments from other Tripadvisor contributors and it is therefore not an isolated incident.
On the plus side, everything was clean and well presented and all the staff were friendly & helpful and that always makes up for a lot of ills.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our small family run Cotswold hotel set amidst beautiful countryside in the South Cotswolds, just 10 minutes from the M4 and so easily accessible. It’s the perfect spot to relax, unwind and explore... we're in the Tetbury, Malmesbury, Cirencester triangle! We offer 28 3 star en-suite rooms including Family, Disabled and Dog Friendly accommodation. Our AA Rosette restaurant serves beautifully cooked, locally sourced fare - a comfortable lounge & bar serves wines from Tetbury and Bath and real ale from Uley complimenting the offer in a warm, friendly and service-orientated environment. Assessed by Visit Britain gaining Walkers, Cyclists, Pets and Families Welcome, Breakfast Award and Disability level 1 and 2 for Disabled friendly rooms. Our hotel has been awarded a Green Tourism SILVER award reflecting our commitment to these Glorious Cotswolds!! A great location for exploring the delights of the ancient towns of Malmesbury and Royal Tetbury and the National Arboretum at Westonbirt and the glorious South Cotswold's area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Mayfield House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Malmesbury
- Best Western Mayfield Hotel
- Best Western Crudwell
- Crudwell Best Western
- Best Western Mayfield House Hotel Crudwell, Wiltshire