“An impromptu lunch”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“An impromptu lunch”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were having a mooch round Tetbury and decided that there were only so many antiques we could look at (a stuffed fox carrying a stuffed pheasant in its foreleg - what's that all about?) - so decided to go elsewhere for lunch. Having heard of the Potting Shed, we thought we'd give it a try. It certainly lived up to its reputation. A very warm welcome and the food and service were excellent. Yes, I did have a spoon for the broth with the belly pork & squid. Unusual, but it worked well. My wife's fish and chips were perfect, and my seared duck was pink and perfect. The chips were just right if a little incongrous with pok choy. So, an enjoyable lunch and a place to go with friends.

2 Thank adrian_lewis9

Marlborough, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was not our first visit to The Potting Shed but it will be the last for some time - perhaps our memories were playing tricks about how good it had been previously. The belly pork and squid starter in a beetroot, chicken broth was OK but - note to staff - a spoon with a broth does help. My wife's vegetables with feta was exactly as described but suffered from too many spring onions. Without the feta this was a poor excuse for a starter. Our mains - a lamb and harissa burger with triple cooked chips, and a veal chop with the same vegetables as appeared as a starter, were varied. The chop was full of flavour but the repetitive vegetables suggested a lack of thought in the menu planning department. The burger promised much but the harissa had left the scene and the burger bun was dry. The chips were ok but as a whole the dish disappointed. We shared a strawberry, honey, ice cream granola desert which sounded promising but delivered so little - around 2 strawberries, thinly cut, a portion of ice cream and some granola sprinkled on top. A lazy attempt at a desert. The Timothy Taylor Landlord bitter and the glass of Rioja were fine. The restaurant has a good atmosphere but parts of the menu and the execution of dishes need work before we go back.

1 Thank Peter084
Potting S, Owner at The Potting Shed Pub, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Peter084, Many thanks for taking the time to review us recently, it is only through constructive customer feedback that we are able to keep striving to be as good as we can be. I am certainly pleased to hear that you have enjoyed previous visits. I was however very disappointed to hear that your recent visit was not as successful as on previous occasions.

We change our whole menu once a month, the process of changing the menu is one that the whole management team get involved in so we like to think that our menu is always interesting and creative and we like to think offers something for everyone. At the same time it is hopefully offering something a little bit different from the other pubs out there. I am so sorry to hear the food was not up to the standard you would have liked, please be assured I have passed your comments onto the kitchen and they will be taken on board. We have over the last few days been finalising our menu for July which has some lovely dishes on it, I would hope you feel able to give us another shot at some point! If you would like to re-book then please ask for me and I will ensure you are well looked after!

Many thanks once again for taking the time to review us.

“A great pub experience”
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

The family had a lovely meal here while on vacation. The food is excellent and the service is pretty good. The atmosphere is very nice. We booked weeks in advance and our table was next to the bar. We asked to be seated in the main dining room which had beautiful natural light but they said it was all booked. It was empty at the time but it did fill up. It seems unlikely that those tables were booked as far in advance as our reservation, but we made the most of it. It made for a good location for people watching and there was a big dog in the pub who had a fan club petting him. We all enjoyed our food immensely and had a very good time. We would definitely return and wish we'd had more time on this trip.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Shelly1710
Dear Michelle F,

Thank you so much for your lovely review - I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit and we would love to see you at the pub again should you find yourself visiting the area again! I think the area of the pub you are referring to is our 'Barn' area so if you are passing this way again then please request a table in this area and we will ensure your request is accommodated.

As the building is pretty old with different areas we do get many requests when people book for certain areas of the pub, many diners like the cosy lower end of the pub, some like the buzz of seating in the bar area and some like the open airy barn section.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review and I very much hope you had a good holiday in the area!

“Great”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We visited for a family birthday. The potting shed is great! decor and service is lovely the food was well presented and tasted delicious but I have to say the highlight for me was the fantastic cheese board, it really is a must when you visit!! I will be back.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Gareth T
Dear Gareth T,

Thank you for a glowing review - so pleased you had a good time. Thank you also for highlighting our cheese board - we are pretty proud of it and love seeing the cheese van arrive each week - so we can go and choose some treats for the week ahead! It really has been a source of competition in the kitchen with the chefs trying to out do each other to send out the best looking cheese board. We were also thrilled to be officially recognised in the 'Britain's Best Cheeseboard' Competition recently!

Thanks again, hope to see you at the pub again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“WHAT A FIND THIS PLACE WAS 'EXCELLENT'”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Asked for recommendations of where to eat for dinner and this place was recommended to me by one of the staff from Highgrove. It has won best Dinning Pub Award for the last 3 years running. We had to book. Really enjoyed our visit here, food excellent & very tasty, presentation first class, all staff extremely friendly, great wines. Great homely country feel about this place. Well done chef and management!!!

Dear Karenhomestaging,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I am also thrilled to hear that we are being recommended by the team at Highgrove - how lovely of them!

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your visit - I know the whole team were beaming when they read your review so thank you for that also!

Hope to see you back at The Potting Shed sometime soon.