“great food in unique atmosphere”

Bybrook Restaurant - Manor House Hotel
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Castle Combe
Description: Enjoy award winning Michelin Star fine dining at the Bybrook restaurant with Head Chef, Richard Davies, carefully combining the finest seasonal and local ingredients with produce from our very own kitchen garden.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I tried testing menu. Not the longest I have tried but very tasty and, I think, representative for what the chef is capable of. And certainly he is a talented one! The dishes are well balanced, not too complicated, with perfect balance of flavours. I liked scallops with apple as I always struggle to find something to balance scallops' dullness. And to my surprise apple does the trick! Great idea. Pork belly is absolutely sensational. Overall, really great food delivered in a gentle and elegant manner. The wines were fine although I was driving hence I couldn't try matching. The service was very good but not perfect yet. Only just for one Michelin star. The place is magic, oozing atmosphere and warmth. Certainly the place worth visiting.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This restaurant is very well presented and food is lovely. Service could be improved by a few but the waiter Pavel is very good here and very hospitable. Loved the complimentary courses- some tasted better then the paid ones!
Really enjoyable evening.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I had been given a 'meal for two' gift voucher as a birthday present. So really looking forward to going for a special meal at a Michelin starred restaurant as a treat. Also, as food had already been paid for, it enabled us to splash out on the wine to go with the food. We arrived and were shown to the bar for pre-dinner drinks. My wife ordered a Rossini and I ordered a glass of Nyetimber Blanc de Blanc (which I know is delicious English fizz). My wife very much enjoyed her drink - my Blanc de Blanc was unfortunately room temperature. Obviously just taken off the shelf as opposed to out of the fridge. We opted for the Chef's Tasting menu with the wines to match (£50 per person extra). After some delicious canapés we were shown to our table in the restaurant. I immediately noticed that the chairs at our table were the sort of metal framed chairs you get in 3 star hotel meeting rooms. All others were cushioned dining chairs with armrests. The waiter was very apologetic explaining that they were in process of re-upholstering all the dining room chairs. I did notice however that ours were the ONLY 2 metal framed chairs in the restaurant. We were then offered a small bread roll to accompany our meal. I was rather hungry and consumed the bread straight away. Alas, the waiter with the bread did not visit our table again. The sommelier then came to our table and poured the wine (white) to go with our first course. He was very good and described the wine and why it was a good match for the food. Unfortunately the first course didn't arrive for over 30 minutes by which time what was left of the wine was warm. At the next course the sommelier came with fresh glasses to pour the next wine. I noticed some liquid in the bottom of my new glass. Thought it may have been water from it being washed. I swirled it and sniffed the glass - no, it WAS a dirty glass! I could smell the previous diner's wine. Towards the end of the meal I asked for my coffee to be served with my dessert. Half way through my dessert a waiter came with coffee and tried to serve it to the next table (who were quite puzzled as they hadn't ordered coffee!). I called the lost waiter over to our table.

As the food was very good these 'issues' may seem picky, but this is supposed to be a Michelin starred restaurant and when a meal costs £129 per person (plus water and coffee) I have high expectations. Unfortunately a first, and last, visit to Bybrook restaurant at Castle Combe.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

...and fine wines to match. Lived up to the Michelin star status and then some. Dining room a wonderful setting and service was faultless.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Arriving at this place, make you feel like a million dollars, the driveway, the grounds the house.
The welcome was great, pre-dinner service lovely and in a great setting.
The dinning room is lovely with lots of space between the tables.
The food is superb and all the little extras (bread, tasters etc) brilliant too.
But the service is not quite up there, the generally superb staff are let down, by the odd one or two, who appear disinterested and don't pay attention. There is also what I can only describe as a slightly stifling atmosphere. Also I know for these types of places, drinks are expensive, but I think the drink prices here are OTT. Superb food and setting, but not quite 5/5