“They couldn't even be bothered to let us know they'd closed”
Review of The Salutation Inn

The Salutation Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Superb Country Pub offering Great Pub food, local ales and a warm welcome!
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a reservation for Saturday night for a family get together which they had confirmed. But when we arrived in Castle Combe we were told the pub had closed down! If they treat potential customers like this, I'm not surprised it's gone out of business. They didn't even have the courtesy to leave us a voice mail or send a text. Luckily we were able to get a table at 'The Bell' in nearby Yatton Keynell which we can thoroughly recommend!

1  Thank HungryFamily_22
Eva N, Owner at The Salutation Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

I am sorry for the inconvenience however I did call the number you left with your reservation but with no answer twice so I left a message. Kindest regards

Reviewed April 17, 2014

It's not good news that this nice pub has closed. We have eaten here a number of times under the new management and never been disappointed.

1  Thank alc59
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Based on the reviews below we booked a family birthday Sunday lunch at the Salutation Inn. It was a bit poor of them not to tell us that they were actually closing for good the afternoon that we were having lunch and it definitely compromised the lunch a bit as they were short on a number of menu items.

But what choices we had were all lovely. All the starters were excellent, and whilst the Waygu roast beef was surprisingly firm (despite being nicely rare), my belly of pork was fantastic. The roast veg were also good - being an area that can often disappoint.

The white wine wasn't great - but that may have been somewhat related to the closing down. Desserts were nice enough, but portions were a bit measly - again because they were running out. Service was very nice and apologetic about the situation - basically the tenant landlords had been trying to make a go of this place for the last couple of years, but couldn't make it work. A pity as I would have very happily returned if passing by.

1  Thank Maybemunchkin
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Planned to visit this area this weekend and on the strength of the recent reviews we telephoned the pub last Friday (4 April) to book a table for last night (11 April) for 7.30. We gave our mobile phone as the contact number. Arrived at the pub last night around 7.15 to find it closed. Luckily we know this area and there are a wealth of other good - open - pubs. Dont know if last night was a one off, (there was no signage up to indicate that they had closed due to emergency etc) or if its closed for the forseable future.
To save dissapointment we suggest that if you are planning to visit the Salutation, you ring them first.

2  Thank palaciogirl
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I went here for Sunday lunch with my family and was very pleased with the tasty dishes served. I had the plaice which was very flavoursome and my mother had the lamb roast which was cooked to perfection.