“Fantastic Staff!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Staff!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay with my husband at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club (work related trip ). Fantastic 7 course Mitchelin Star meal, complete with various wines. Accommodation out of this world. Views beautiful from room. I have to say, above all I was really impressed with the staff - so welcoming, friendly and very polite (special mention to the lady who served us at breakfast - professional and very helpful).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Myself and 8 other ladies went here for a special afternoon tea for a sophisticated hen party, as the hen did not want a wild drunken party!
Well, what can I say - as we approached the hotel we felt like we should be in a horse drawn carriage, the setting, gardens, river & hotel itself was simply breathtaking. The gardens and outside areas are beautiful and well kept. The hotel itself is stunning, wood panelling, large open fires and very well maintained to an high standard. The afternoon tea was really delicous and couldnt be faulted.
The only thing I could possibly deduct marks for is that the waiting staff could have been a little more attentive, we had to find someone to request more drinks but that is really not a major issue in my book.
Would love to go back here again and have a little more time to explore the grounds, gardens and hotel a little more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lambzeebeep
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Having had the pleasure of staying in a couple of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ over the years, I was intrigued to see the group logo outside the reception at the Manor House Hotel and Golf Club. This is an imposing Manor and mews accommodation complex situated in lovely grounds next to the superb little village of Castle Coombe. We were staying in the Castle Inn Hotel in the village itself, which has a car parking arrangement with this establishment. As far as I know there are only two hotels in this charming location.

We were aware that a wedding group had a private function in the Manor House and could see the afternoon reception in progress as we came and went to our car to explore the locality. Later in the evening (after a delicious dinner in our own hotel), we walked back to the reception desk to enquire about staying in future.

It was here that I had the misfortune to encounter one of the rudest staff in my many years of travel! After politely waiting a few minutes in the reception area, I called through to another room when a dark haired woman in a black uniform dress (no name badge) appeared behind me. I introduced myself by saying we were staying in the other hotel and had parked there by kind arrangement. I explained that I had stopped by to pick up a hotel brochure as we were tempted to come and stay in the future.

Despite my inoffensive demeanour, maturity and being dressed in clothing suitable for dinner, I was bruskly informed that the hotel was closed for a private function (no sign of any function in progress nor any other signage, by the way) and that I was ‘required to vacate the premises immediately’ before she turned on her heels and disappeared!

A wish not to embarrass my own lovely hotel (same tariff as a standard double here, as it happened) prevented me from chasing her down the corridor to tell her exactly what I thought of her appalling customer service and, for that matter, the relevant law relating to licensed premises. The fact that this individual decided to act in this tactless way - not even a 'sorry we are still closed, but would you like a brochure - means that we will be looking elsewhere when we are planning our next milestone celebration.

So, it was with renewed interest that I looked more closely at the accommodation as I walked past other the rest of the weekend. On inspection, the rooms looked tired and in need of decorative attention. The Manor house itself is gloomy (toilets dirty) and frankly, given the unnecessary rudeness demonstrated to me, simply not worth the money you are expected to pay (£200 – £500 per night B&B). The gardens looked fabulous but I am sorry to say that the outdoor staff have wasted their efforts when the domestic staff let them down in this way.

We won’t be back to this particular establishment, except to use their car parking while we enjoy the welcoming comfort and friendly atmosphere at the Castle Inn Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank always-the-tourist
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear always-the tourist,

Just a shame that this review was allowed to reappear having had it taken off once already by Trip Advisor.

I am so sorry that your version of events seems to be somewhat different to the reality, but then you seem to have been very keen to manipulate your comments to deliberately make us look bad.

The fact of the matter is that you took it upon yourself to ignore our well positioned signage that indicated the private event that was taking place, and without actually staying at the hotel or using our facilities I am not really sure how you can comment.

I am just sad that this was allowed to happen in the first place.

Stephen Browning
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Castle Combe is one of those perfect little villages that is so lovely it barely seems real, and the same can be said of the Manor House Hotel.
When you drive through the gates and along the edge of the Bybrook River, you are surrounded by green lawns and flowers and lush trees - then you arrive at a picturesque little bridge and look across at the most beautiful, gothic mansion I have ever seen
The Manor House is utterly beautiful. As you drive towards it, it gets even better.
Landscaped gardens, warm stone walls, covered with ivy, Italianate gardens and beautiful stonework - it's simple breathtaking.
The interior doesn't disappoint either. Dark wood panelling and period furniture, deep window bays and lovely fabrics.
Our room wasn't ready as we arrived a bit early, but we were graciously shown to a table in the bar and had a lovely lunch/afternoon tea. The room was ready about an hour later and we were delighted. It was lovely. Even the walk to the room via the twisting and turning passageways was lovely. You can see the different periods in the stonework where the different parts of the house have been added over the past 400 years.
The room (a twin bedded junior suite) was huge. plenty of room to move around and separate seating. Excellent mini bar and a huge bathroom.
The decor was very tasteful and in keeping with the style of the house without being too olde-worlde and stuffy. Really comfy beds too.
The restaurant provided a fab breakfast. The Bybrook restaurant is amazing. Truly amazing.
So good, in fact it deserves its own separate review. All i can say here is make sure you book it and go. The food is fabulous.
Some of the reviews here are a bit up and down, but as a fairly picky customer, I truly couldn't fault the hotel.
The staff were lovely, the rooms were fab, the food was excellent and there was parkling. The grounds are utterly beautiful, with plenty of places to wander and a croquet lawn. The town is beautiful....
Stay for a weekend and be spoiled....its truly an escape from reality....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank wanderingbear
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Castle Combe is the most beautiful village in which one is transported back a couple of centuries or more. The hotel sits behind the village on the banks of a river and a street if cottages (now luxurious hotel rooms) leads from the hotel to the village. Recline in a deckchair by the river in the spacious hotel lawns and you will only hear birds and the rustle of trees. No sounds of mother used modern life here.
The hotel must pride itself on its service which is quite exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble.
The food is a culinary experience. What you taste here will be a new experience, apart from breakfast. Well, an Englishman has to have his cornflakes and cooked breakfast - Don't mess with that!
Hotel rooms are well appointed and very comfortable beds guarantee a good nights sleep. No spa on-site, but is arranged a short drive away.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but some are even better. Just ask and the hotel staff will be only too pleased...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My brother in law arranged for our families to stay at the Manor House in July 2013. We were in England to celebrate my wife's parent's 60th wedding anniversary, and I know he wanted someplace special. This place was amazing!

Driving through the village of Castle Combe is a treat for the eyes, but when you turn off the "main" road and pass through the gate, along the By Brook, then over the bridge onto the main grounds, it'll take your breath away. We pulled up to the front door, staff collected our bags and took them to the room, then we joined family already sitting at tables outside on the lawn. We all enjoyed drinks brought to us from the bar, and the kids played croquet and chess on the lawn. Perfect weather, perfect setting, perfect service.

The next morning we had breakfast at the hotel, and I think they served the best Eggs Benedict I've ever had in my life! They try and get everything locally, and they actually grow many of the vegetables that they use, the pork is local, etc. Great restaurant.

We had lunch once on the lawn, and we had a simpler pub style dinner in the hotel one night as well. One of the nights we all enjoyed a multiple course fixed dinner menu in the restaurant, and it was FANTASTIC! Each dish was delicious, and we all had a lovely and most memorable evening.

I found the staff to be friendly and most helpful, and they made me feel genuinely welcomed and comfortable. We all were very sad to leave, but we certainly created some happy memories.

Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Manor House this weekend. If you want some old English charm and character with breathtaking surroundings this is the place for you. Much better for you than those modern minimalist clinical hotels ........ Give me the Manor at Castle Combe any day!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Barnsley House
Barnsley House
#1 of 1 in Barnsley

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!