“Good hotel in wonderful location”

The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've stayed at the sister hotel, Pennyhill Park on a number of occasions so was looking forward to our two night stay at the Manor House Hotel Castle Combe. The first thing that strikes you about this hotel is the location, if there has ever been a site for a five star hotel this is it. As long as there's nothing going on at the nearby racing circuit it's about as idealic as it gets in England set near a stream in a picture post card village.

We stayed in a junior suite in the cottages, a row of beautiful cottages close to the main hotel. The room was excellent with a comfortable four poster bed, large infinity bath and separate multi jet shower. We had breakfast in the main dinning room and also tried the tasting menu in the restaurant one evening which was very tasty and well presented.

So why not five stars? Unfortunately the service wasn't quite up to scratch. Perhaps we were unluckily but numerous minor errors let the overall experience fall below expectations for a top five star hotel.

Will we go back if we are in the area? Certainly!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear43John2012,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I am very sorry that there appeared to be some glitches in service but overall you seem to have had an enjoyable stay, hence the fact you commented on possibly returning another time.

Hope we see you again soon and once again thank you for your comments.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I'm the mother of two children and consider myself an easy going traveler but the one thing I cannot take is a dirty hotel room. Even worse is a dirty hotel bathroom and, unfortunately, that's what we got when we checked in on our recent stay at the Manor House Hotel.

The hotel is gorgeous. The room we stayed in was spacious and beautiful in its own quirky way. We were treated very well by the staff and enjoyed a breakfast on par with the Four Seasons. Walking through Castle Combe is liking being thrown into a time machine and there are two pubs/restaurants in town to choose from- we choose the Castle Inn and had a wonderful meal with great service.

The ONLY thing that went wrong on this trip was the fact that the bathroom WAS NOT CLEAN. It had been given a quick once over- if that. The sink faucets had been cleaned but the porcelain sinks themselves had drip marks and dried soap all over. The bathtub had soap residue I could see and feel with my fingers. The bathmat was still wet from the prior occupants and the worst was that there was urine and blood on the underside of the toilet bowl as well as a full trash can of the Mrs or Miss' waste. I had to call down to get them to remove it.

I hope this was a one off situation but it just had me guessing the entire time whether or not they'd even changed the sheets. Perhaps I should have called down to complain but I was just uncomfortable and wanted to do my best not to upset my family.

Hopefully management will do what they can to make sure this doesn't happen again. My expectations were higher and theirs should be too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amanda C
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Amanda C,

Thank you for your December 2012 review.

I appreciate your feedback and obviously we are very disappointed that the bathroom was not at our usual high standards. It is a shame that not more was said at the time as we could have resolved your concerns immediately.

I am pleased you enjoyed other elements of your stay and just so sorry that the comments you mentioned somewhat spoilt your experience.

I do hope we may get chance to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We enjoyed a two day break in this beautifully situated hotel in Castle Combe; enjoyed a fantastic meal in the Michelin starred restaurant; good imaginative cooking with exquisite textures and exceptional presentation. Great informative staff and excellent wine choices made for us. We will be back to this beautiful area and hopefully to the same hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Manor house is a fantastic hotel in a fabulous setting in Castle Combe. The village of Castle Combe is one of the prettiest villages in England, and has featured in many films recently including The Warhorse. If you walk around the village you will frequently see tourists visiting the area. The Manor house is in a secluded area in the village and is gated access. Once inside the gates there is a wonderful driveway with a stream adjacent and picturesque grounds, on approach you will see the splendid house. Once inside the house you will be struck by its beauty, and attentive staff. We were sat in a beautiful room with grand chairs and the afternoon tea was delightful. The afternoon tea is not cheap but you need to consider the setting, the only criticism was regarding the service, the member of staff that served us said he didnt know what the cakes were and then when he said he would ask another member of staff he said he still didnt know, to be honest i think he would have been better just serving us the cakes with a smile, it didn't particularly bother me however considering the price, the reputation and other professionalism of staff in of the hotel it was a bit of a shame. Another member of staff also served us and as we couldnt eat all of the cakes he kindly offered to box them up for us to take home. I must note some of the cakes had a Manor house logo including the box which was a nice touch. After our afternoon tea we walked in the wonderful grounds which was an excellent end to the day. Overall this a fabulous hotel in a very pretty village but also very near to the city of Bath, an ideal escape.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It's hard to fault our stay in this beautiful manor house. Steeped in more history than you can imagine and set in one of the most gorgeous villages in England, the cost of a night here is far out weighed by the luxurious surroundings and excellent service

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Lovely hotel in one of the prettiest villages in England. Beautiful and well appointed rooms with period furniture. The seven course tasting menu in the Michelin starred Bybrook restaurant was wonderful and the afternoon tea likewise. Scones to die for, probably the best I ever had. Beautiful grounds and when you walk by the hotels cottages suddenly you are in the pretty little village of Castle Combe. Absolutely worth a visit, we will be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the Manor House, the period rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

For our anniversary, my husband took me to the hotel for a long weekend (sat - mon). We stayed in a room called Doolittle, which was slightly away from the main house. The room was very spacious with a great bathroom and a little table and chairs outside the back doors. My only concern was that the big corner post of the bed was in the way of the tv, but I could live with that!
We ate in the restaurant on one evening only, but the meal was divine. Every course was light enough to allow space for the next and the waiting staff were outstanding.
The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and my husband assures me that the golf course is excellent too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
The Close Hotel
The Close Hotel
#1 of 7 in Tetbury
The Roseate Villa Bath

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!