“Not quite perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Newtown, United Kingdom
“Not quite perfect”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The location and setting of this hotel must be one of the best in the UK. So arrival at the hotel after a long journey was a very welcome surprise.
We were shown to a very pleasant room, a Junior Suite which was very large and comfortable and allowing for the fact that we had booked via one of the Internet booking agencies very good discounted value for money - compared with many other 4-5 star hotels of our experience
.We joined a group of friends shortly after arrival for the beginning of a 2 day reunion and with the attentive staff ever present we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of the exclusive establishment and the choice of venue.
In the evening we dined in the restaurant and enjoyed a pleasant meal sampling between eight of us most of the dishes on the limited menu. The dishes on offer tasted good and were artistically presented, although the size of portions sugested that there was a major shortage of food available to go around the guests - you know what I mean more plate than food!!!!.
It is around this whole issue of food and drink that I have my reservations.
My wife and I enjoy staying in hotels in comfortable surroundings and enjoying the hospitality on offer but I am increasingly concerned as to how some of these establishments justify their food and beverage pricing. The Manor is a case in point - one expects when booking an establishment of this calibre to pay a little more for drinks and food than normal but the Manor is bordering on the silly or dare I suggest is taking advantage of its clients.
When do the management of such establishments realise that giving clients more than they expect should always be coupled with the needs of value for money.
By all means stay at this delightful hotel but unless you want to see your final bill in the stratosphere plan to eat and drink elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank llandinam
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear llandinam,

Thank you for your great comments and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay.

As far as your comments about portion sizes and pricing are concerned, I appreciate your feedback and honesty. We do not hide any of our prices and they are all readily available prior to booking.

Once again thank you and look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here on Business for Private Dining event which was sensational. Great food paired with excellent wines, served by helpful and knowledgeable staff.
Could not find anything to fault about anything, had a room in the main building which was very atmospheric but unlike some old buildings, everything, like the shower etc worked perfectly and obviously money has been spent bringing things up to a modern standard.
Everyone I spoke to at the hotel was keen to help.
The hotel is enormously romantic and was a bit wasted on me travelling without my wife on this occasion!
Fully intend to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Oslo
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Four of us stayed here on our way to a golfing holiday in Devon. They offer a package of two rounds of golf. Dinner breakfast and accomodation in the waterside lodge which is located at the 18th hole and close to the clubhouse.As we were travelling on to Devon, we swapped the second round for two buggies. The lodge was nice and comfortable with two toilets and two showers.Sleeps a maximum of 8 persons in twins.
All round a good package deal for a one night stop or a weekend break. Castle Coombe is a very pretty village,shame we did not have time to look at it. Next year maybe.
Halkei

Room Tip: There is only one lodge,so I would expect advance booking is advised.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband for 1 night and from the moment you walk through the door the service is impeccable, it was spotlessly clean the grounds are amazing, there is a great pub 2 mins away which is great, booked again for our 25th wedding anniversary in August. Thank you for making our stay perfect.

• Stayed April 2013
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Sharon D,

Thank you for your great comments and I am so pleased you had an enjoyable time.

Really looking forward to seeing you again in August.

Best regards,

Stephen
Wiltshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A friend had recommended cream tea at the Manor House Hotel, so I took some Norwegian guests of mine for a look around the village followed by tea at the hotel. I was overwhelmed by the beautiful hotel and stunning location, complete with attractive gardens. The tea itself was excellent value at £14 per head for perfect scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream, served in porcelain teacups in a striking drawing room. The service was very friendly, my only criticism would be that there was a lack of staff and no real reception area, and not much information in the front lobby (i.e. if I had not been told about it in advance, I may not have ventured in).

All in all though, highly recommended and I would go again tomorrow.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank goreblimey
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel is charmingly decorated and invites the guest to find a secluded corner in a sumptuous chair surrounded by wood panelling. The purpose of my visit was to attend a wedding reception which took the form of afternoon tea after a Pimm's reception. The food was excellent and the beverages well presented. All in all for a special day it left little to be desired.

Room Tip: Aske for a view out the front of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had high hopes of this hotel as I have been wanting to stay there for years and I finally got around to it this weekend. I was not disappointed, it was amazing and everything you could wish for a romantic break in the countryside. The staff were warm and friendly, the rooms are gorgeous with the most comfortable big bed, very romantic, classy and beautifully designed. Everything was immaculately clean with a stunning bathroom with lots of huge fluffy towels! The canapés in the bar were fantastic before going through to dinner. Dinner in the Bybrook was special, we had the tasting menu and we are still talking about it. Beautifully cooked and presented, absolutely delicious food, every dish was a true delight. We chose the dessert from Great British menu, it looked so pretty and was just yummy, I even licked Lenny Henry's face it was so good! Make sure you walk around the grounds, there are so many hidden little areas to explore. We loved this place and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot
The Hare and Hounds Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!