“Fantastic!”

The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Came here for a treat with my girlfriend at short notice. We came on the recommendation of some good friends and were not disappointed.

We stayed in a fantastic room that really felt like a room in a castle with panelled walls, stone mullioned windows and a tone arch into the bathroom and shower. Incidentally the bathroom was bigger than many hotel rooms I have stayed in!

We only stayed for one night as we live quite close and only really stayed to try the Michelin restaurant tasting menu with matching wine flight! Having just given up smoking 2 months earlier the flavours were out of this world and the whole experience was fantastic.

Breakfast was a vast choice and beautifully presented.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank glostaff

Reviewed January 9, 2013

What can one say about The Manor House Hotel? Superb!! More than that, stepping through the doors takes you back to a by-gone era. One where the men wore top hat and tails and the ladies were ladies! Having high tea and just going through the motions/feelings of what it must have been like in the old days.
Then we have quality food and ambiance. Service was fantastic, the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful, great food, lovely individually designed rooms. We bought our friends with us because they have never been before and they thought it to be absolutely wonderful. We would all like to thank Sharon, the fantastic house keeper. This lady does a brilliant, no perfect job and on top of that she aims to please. Thank you Sharon, we think you’re a wonderful person and so glad to have met you. See you next December, remember we are booked for December Dolittle suite. Lol ;-)

This time we stayed in the Dolittle suite and that was just perfect. These are little cottages leading off from the main hotel and that's a fantastic experience. I think we have stayed in most of them. A lot of people don't know this but Doctor Dolittle was filmed here... Castle Combe is well-known for the original 1967 Dr Dolittle film starring Rex Harrison and Anthony Newly. Also 2008 Castle Combe played the role of a sleepy English village called 'Wall' in the fantasy love story. Then, Castle Combe features as the village of ‘Blackmoor’ in 'The Wolfman', a 2010 remake of the original 1941 film, starring Benicio del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt and Hugo Weaving. And to top it off! September 2010 finds Castle Combe in the new Steven Spielberg production of 'War Horse', a screen version of the 1982 children's book by Michael Morpurgo. The story is about a boy’s love for his horse and their mutual suffering amid the carnage of World War I.
You must visit beautiful Castle Combe..

Room Tip: There isn't a swimming pool but I can't clear above.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cornishangel74
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our party of 10 have just had a fabulous 2 day stay for New year,and from start to finish it was a most wonderful and memorable experience.The food was fantastic,the staff were so friendly and helpful ,we all hade lovely rooms,all a bit different,and so pleasant to have something different to the usual "boxes,and all I can say is we have already booked for next year!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank robin h
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Robin H,

Thank you for your great feedback, it was great to meet you all and I am so delighted you have already booked for 2013.

Once again many thanks and I am so pleased you had an enjoyable time.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Manor House on New Year's Eve as part of their dinner and entertainment package. As I wanted to splurge a little, I booked the Archway master suite, which is part of the cottages adjacent to the main hotel building.

Upon arrival, the grounds and the hotel look absolutely stunning. We checked in and saw the beautiful lounge area with open fire and were looking forward to seeing our suite. Unfortunately, when we opened the door, the living area resembled a squatter’s site – there was a bare mattress leaning up against the wall, pieces of wood randomly dotted on the floor and all the furniture was pushed up to one side of the room. The gentleman on reception apologised and said the maintenance team had forgotten to finish some work. But this meant we had to amuse ourselves for two hours until the suite was made to look presentable again.

When we finally went back to the suite it looked great. But on closer inspection we noticed disturbing red stains all over the bedroom carpet (see photo). Also the TV in the bathroom did not work (this was particularly annoying as I ran a bath intending to watch something whilst relaxing and I was left rather disappointed).

That aside, the evening was wonderful. We had a five course dinner in the Bybrook Restaurant which was divine. There was then a casino and a live band to ring in the New Year. All the staff members were polite and well presented. It’s just a shame that when I raised the concerns to the staff all they did was apologise and shrug it off without acknowledging how disappointed we were.

I’m not sure if we’ll go again – the hotel is stunning but I’m still haunted by the strange stains on the carpet and mattress in the living room.

Room Tip: The Archway Suite is stunning but check the bedroom carpet for red stains!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GabGabUK

Dear GabGabuk,

Thank you for your recent feedback.

I can only apologise for the issues you had with your room on arrival, due to an unfortunate miscommunication you were sent to your room when it was obviously not ready, as the room was being given a thorough springclean after some long stay guests had just left , hence the mattress etc;

As far as the sinister red stains on the carpet in the bedroom are concerned, these were dye stains from confetti petals that had been spread about the room and then we assume trampled underfoot. We had tried to remove the stains to no avail and we are currently looking to get that section of carpet replaced.

I appreciate your feedback and I am just sorry that you did not discuss it with me personally on departure when I said goodbye to you.

I hope we get chance to see you again, but perhaps next time without the springclean or the confetti stains.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in.
Its not cheap, but that's because the quality of the rooms and the common areas are outstanding, and the staff are quietly efficient without being too visible and intrusive.

The room (a basic one) was large with a large en-suite bathroom. Everything worked, the bed was very comfortable with high quality furnishings.

The common areas are well appointed and so relaxing. There are a number of rooms, all slightly different in feel and ambiance. Great for just kicking back and letting all your troubles just drift away. Its pure old English decadence... Sitting by an open fire, reading a paper, drinking fine tea and eating scones and cakes, its why you work hard, to enjoy time like this.

The breakfasts are good quality and not over facing. A good range with all the obvious options, served in a wonderful dining area overlooking the lawns.

The lady who served us (from Romania) was both friendly and professional and a real delight to have a brief chat to.All other staff at breakfast were also polite and seemed to take great pride in their work, always smiling.

Highly recommended on many levels.

Room Tip: I think rooms in the main hotel are more "traditional".
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dgledders
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was the first time we have escaped family & friends for a Christmas away. The previous reviewer really has summed up the special Christmassy feel that the Manor House creates. Mulled wine with freshly made scones for a cosy cream tea by a roaring fire was our initial introduction to this glorious hotel. All the staff were so welcoming and professional, they really give 5* service and nothing was too much trouble. Nice touches in our room included a mini living and decorated Chrismas tree (which we were welcome to take home at the end of our stay), Christmas pressies on our beds on Christmas Eve and a stocking each outside our door on Christmas morning containing home made treats and other goodies. The food throughout our stay was exceptional - this chef really knows how to cook! Without hesitation, I can recommend a stay here, you really will question why this hotel is a 4* and not a 5 as staff continually go over and beyond expectations. The only downside of our stay was that breakfast was a little disfunctional, both in our room and in the main restaurant however please do not let this put you off visiting this outstanding hotel. And just one thing for the wish list - please could you install magnified lit mirrors in the bathroom as it was a little difficult applying make-up!

Room Tip: I can't believe there is a 'bad' room in the place!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank acrocket
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Castle Combe, Wiltshire is a picture postcard village. It was somewhat deserted when we arrived. I think many of the houses by the river were deserted due to flooding. I hope the residence found somewhere warm for the Christmas. The Manor House is right in the village, the grounds were a bit water logged but, with the warm welcome that awaited us we soon forgot.

Our suites were excellent, although my son was allocated our room on arrival and we his. Fortunately they were both of such a high standard that we were happy to stay put, the only difference was his room had a better view.

The food was excellent, the wine may not have been quite to our taste, but the service was excellent on Christmas Eve. The fact that the church is in the grounds of the hotel was a special treat, It mean't I could go to Mid Night Mass and sing to all the Carols.

The log fires were amazing constantly lit morning and night. There are many walks around the grounds. The walk around the gold course was amazing and just the thing to do before lunch.
Christmas day was exciting Santa arrived in the night leaving all the guests presents and stocking found outside the bedroom door were full of little surprises. Lunch was an amazing banquet entertained by a wonderful harpist. We had coffee in a beautiful room, with log fire, I felt so at home I had a sleep on the couch while the men played chess.

Christmas evening was a buffet, the food was excellent and the beef was a welcome sight. The staff were not up to the same standard on Christmas night, it seemed like they would rather have been somewhere else.

We enjoyed our stay at the Manor house and if you are after something very old and English this is a fine place to go.

This hotel has a great golf course. I am not a golfer. If I was to take it up I think I would ask them to fill in the serious bunkers around the putting green cos if my ball went into them I'd never get it out. Ha! Ha!

Until next year happy travelling.

Room Tip: Top of the Stairs Thompson Suite great view, fantastic bath room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Colerne
Rudloe Arms
Rudloe Arms
#3 of 4 in Corsham

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!