“A Christmas treat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
High Wycombe
“A Christmas treat”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was the first time we have escaped family & friends for a Christmas away. The previous reviewer really has summed up the special Christmassy feel that the Manor House creates. Mulled wine with freshly made scones for a cosy cream tea by a roaring fire was our initial introduction to this glorious hotel. All the staff were so welcoming and professional, they really give 5* service and nothing was too much trouble. Nice touches in our room included a mini living and decorated Chrismas tree (which we were welcome to take home at the end of our stay), Christmas pressies on our beds on Christmas Eve and a stocking each outside our door on Christmas morning containing home made treats and other goodies. The food throughout our stay was exceptional - this chef really knows how to cook! Without hesitation, I can recommend a stay here, you really will question why this hotel is a 4* and not a 5 as staff continually go over and beyond expectations. The only downside of our stay was that breakfast was a little disfunctional, both in our room and in the main restaurant however please do not let this put you off visiting this outstanding hotel. And just one thing for the wish list - please could you install magnified lit mirrors in the bathroom as it was a little difficult applying make-up!

Room Tip: I can't believe there is a 'bad' room in the place!
1 Thank acrocket

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Pewsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Castle Combe, Wiltshire is a picture postcard village. It was somewhat deserted when we arrived. I think many of the houses by the river were deserted due to flooding. I hope the residence found somewhere warm for the Christmas. The Manor House is right in the village, the grounds were a bit water logged but, with the warm welcome that awaited us we soon forgot.

Our suites were excellent, although my son was allocated our room on arrival and we his. Fortunately they were both of such a high standard that we were happy to stay put, the only difference was his room had a better view.

The food was excellent, the wine may not have been quite to our taste, but the service was excellent on Christmas Eve. The fact that the church is in the grounds of the hotel was a special treat, It mean't I could go to Mid Night Mass and sing to all the Carols.

The log fires were amazing constantly lit morning and night. There are many walks around the grounds. The walk around the gold course was amazing and just the thing to do before lunch.
Christmas day was exciting Santa arrived in the night leaving all the guests presents and stocking found outside the bedroom door were full of little surprises. Lunch was an amazing banquet entertained by a wonderful harpist. We had coffee in a beautiful room, with log fire, I felt so at home I had a sleep on the couch while the men played chess.

Christmas evening was a buffet, the food was excellent and the beef was a welcome sight. The staff were not up to the same standard on Christmas night, it seemed like they would rather have been somewhere else.

We enjoyed our stay at the Manor house and if you are after something very old and English this is a fine place to go.

This hotel has a great golf course. I am not a golfer. If I was to take it up I think I would ask them to fill in the serious bunkers around the putting green cos if my ball went into them I'd never get it out. Ha! Ha!

Until next year happy travelling.

Room Tip: Top of the Stairs Thompson Suite great view, fantastic bath room.
1 Thank philomenap
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have just arrived back home in The Netherlands after a wonderful Christmas break from Christmas Eve until the day after Boxingday 2012.
If ,like me, you are an ex-pat wanting to have a real English Christmas – this is the place!
The main hotel is very Christmassy with Christmas trees and lit open fireplaces.
We stayed in one of the lovely cottages just outside the main hotel with the Church just opposite. It was like having our own little cottage in Castle Combe. The room had a wonderful old fashion feel to it but a very modern warm bathroom with a beautiful free standing bath (including bath duck) and lovely thick bath towels.
The room, with a little lit Christmas tree, made us feel at home and not like spending Christmas in a hotel room.
We had two little dogs with us and they had laid out two rugs, dog bowls and dog treats. I really appreciated these details. So often hotels charge for dogs and don’t even have a dog water bowl in the room. Top marks for the details.
I had been rather apprehensive about spending Christmas in a hotel but I shouldn’t have been.
After the cream tea and a walk round the village. We listened to the locals singing carols in the square in the early evening just outside the village pub.
At the first black tie gala dinner on Christmas Eve we met some of the other guests. It was a nice mix of families, friends and couples. Young and old. At 11 there was the opportunity to go to midnight mass at the church just opposite our cottage.
The food and wine were very good. Sometimes even in the best restaurants the quality of food at large gatherings can be disappointing but if this is a taste of the quality of the “ normal” food then top marks. The only slight niggle was the wines served at the dinners and Christmas lunch, and the wines served by the glass on the menu, are all very young wines. I was slightly disappointed with the red wines. We tend to like more robust (older) wines but we had the impression that the sommelier preferred fresher less complex wines and hence the wine choices.
The English breakfast was very good. The yoghurt is also very highly recommended. The toast though was a bit disappointing. There was also not much choice of continental breakfast.: A large choice of cereals but not much choice of breads, or meats other than French bread or salami. I have to repeat thought that the English Breakfast is so tasty I would say just order that!!
Waking up on Christmas day with filled stockings hanging on the door was a wonderful start to Christmas day.
Christmas lunch was relaxed. It was nice that there was the traditional turkey lunch. Slight niggle that they came rather late with the cranberry and bread sauce. We had eaten half our turkey before the waiters appeared. And I would have liked however tiny a small peace of Christmas pudding as dessert but otherwise no complaints about the presentation and taste of the food.
The hotel had organised laser clay shooting on Boxingday for those not going to the pantomime in Bath. Even though it poured with rain most of the day we had a go and it was great fun. It made us feel like lords of a country manor!
Christmas day is also a wonderful time to spend in Castle Combe as we had a feeling there were a lot less " coach" tour tourists walking around the village on Christmas day and Boxing day. The day after we saw a lot more groups walking around with large cameras.
We would highly recommend to anyone spending their Christmas at the Manor house hotel. The management and staff made us feel very welcome. It was correct but friendly and relaxed. Top marks!
Thank you Manor House Hotel management and staff for making Christmas 2012 a wonderful experience and thank you very much for our stockings filled with goodies, the Christmas bear and all the rest I forgot to mention.

Room Tip: We loved our cottage!
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights and took breakfast and dinner in the hotel in December. Happiliy the weather was fine as if there was snow on the ground it may have been a challenge to get in and out of the village down a steep hill.
The village is convenient for both Bath and Bristol, and has to most charming cottages. It is however a very popular tourist destination even during this relatively low season, so you will see lots of people with cameras in the village.
The approach is through electrically operated gates, over a logn sweeping drive, across a brook; when we arrived the mist was rising off the water making it look magical, with some trees flood lit in a tasteful way.
Our room was one of the cottages. On arrival we had a smooth check in, quick and simple, just as we like it. I read someone has complained it took 20 seconds: is that a complaint?
Room was in one of the cottages. Car park space big, outside room; perfect. Plenty of space to get to bags. We were helped with luggage and given a brief tour of the room. Very nice TV with built in blue ray DVD, good selection to borrow in main house with just a deposit to pay, refundable. Sky sports on the TV. Some similar hotels have out of date technology or screens too small for the room but this was fine. Ancillary TV in bathroom was faulty but they quickly fixed it; it seemed to have limited channels but probably just needed retuning. Lovely shower with super sized shower head. Beds large, comfortable. Plenty of hanging space, room and bathroom good size, thick fluffy towels.
Hotel is truly cosy, lots of mid size rooms many with fires, so you can find a comfortable space to sit. That is notable as in many other places we have stayed the public areas are big, cool and just not cosy.
Afternoon tea is big; I echo other comments that unless you have a large appetite it is necessary to leave lots of time to dinner: perhaps a long walk around the pretty village and surrounds.
First night dinner was mixed as an experience to be fair. Incredibly slow (an hour to starter) but they kept us fairly happy with nibbles and a gorgeous extra course of carrots soup plus, nice bread.
Others have commented about the wine selection and waiter. He was very (perhaps a little too) enthusiastic and keen to show knowledge. We chose wine by the glass and that was fine. Others on nearby tables had gone for tasting menu with recommended wine: trenchermen only unless perhaps you skipped lunch & breakfast. Food is, as expected beautifully presented, smallish portions but perfectly adequate. We never got to the desert! Our fault for enjoying tea before at about 5pm.
Something went wrong in the kitchen that first night: they re-cooked the main fish course (sea bass and haddock). Mine was still over cooked but edible. We could see they had issues but we did not complain. However it is churlish to report this as, amazingly they did not charge us for this meal, which is a first (where I did not actually complain). Wow, credit to you.
Next morning breakfast was OK; mixed as we were not offered toast with full English. Great bacon, nice sausage, warm plate but could have been a little warmer as eggs quickly cooled. For some reason at breakfast the pepper was pre-ground dust instead of freshly ground as in my view any decent restaurant must offer. Fruit juice seemed acidic and probably from carton. Had we paid £20+ for breakfasts I would have been disappointed. The coffee was stale (sorry management but you have tea award but why not good coffee?) We are getting so accustomed to poor coffee especially in rooms that we bring our own machine and fresh coffee. Clearly it should not be necessary.
The staff were always polite, friendly, which helps a lot.
Next day we restrained ourselves with tea (I trued coffee but it was un drinkable again, so swapped for tea).
I told a member of staff about the coffee and the waiter said he will serve breakfast next day and make a proper coffee. True he did: 100% better. Credit to the staff again. We learned from previous day to order toast with full English, however oddly it was very slow to arrive so we had eaten most of the food before it appeared. I would be happier if the plates were more than mildly warm to begin. Staff friendly as always.
The breakfast would be perfect if they can sort out coffee on a regular basis not one-off special effort, warm the plates a bit more, supply at least option of fresh juice. It makes such a difference. Finally get rid of pepper shakers and invest in small grinders at breakfast.
Some details that for me lost the top rating: entrance door to cottage is stiff and needs 5 min adjustment: that matters as guests adjacent left early in morning and could not open outer door quietly. Shower head was leaking (yes I know they are supposed to do that but not from above the shower head) towel hooks needed near shower. The room had feint oil smell: perhaps fumes from a boiler. It became more obvious so we just opened windows which helped a lot. Need quality coffee and fresh milk in room, otherwise supplies of biscuits and water are generous, and you have the chance for a refresh in the evening when they call to offer a bed turndown.
Walk to hotel is 4 minutes stroll in lovely grounds but oddly the staff seem to have a better lit, safer path, where guests seem to have to walk on road shared with occasional cars. The staff passage is preferable save that there are steps at the end, so not suitable for all.
Sorry to sound slightly negative but I hope the management can build on the good parts and easily sort the issues.
Overall we would, and have, recommended this hotel to friends.
ps. Not the fault of the hotel and perhaps just Christmas spirit, wine beer etc but some other guests has dinner in t shirts & jeans which is slightly scruffy for an evening meal in a full service Michelin rated restaurant.

Room Tip: Cottages are close to the church so if you like your windows open at night and are distubed by the b...
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We arrived for a wedding on 30th November and the service was very good but discreet.
We stayed in the Runaway room, (for obvious reasons the Bride didn't want to stay in this room).
Sumptuous relaxing room with a very deep bath and comfortable bed. Maybe housekeeping could pay a little more attention to the dust in the corners and on the beams.
All in all a beautiful location and room. We will surely return again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and constructive comments, I know the Head Housekeeper will be very grateful.

Hope we see you again soon.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Absolutely stunning hotel with beautiful grounds, all the staff were incredibly friendly and the food was great. My only slight complaint was housekeeping as there was a couple minor cleaning issues in the room but not enough to take away from our stay. As both myself and my partner work in hotels we know how easily small things can accidently get overlooked and this may well have been due to the fact they rushed cleaning our room to have it ready early for us as we had a wedding to go to. We stayed here with our 2 year old son and a number of the staff in particular were very good with him and made every effort to ensure he was happy but I would say food and drink wise they don't have much choice for very small children so can't imagine they have too many of them staying here.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend stay at the hotel with my wife. This hotel is truly fabulous. The setting and the manor itself is breath taking. When we arrived it was absolutely pouring with rain. We pulled up out side the hotel and before we could get out of the car a very friendly member of staff was there with an umbrella. He told us that our luggage would be taken and the car parked for us in the hotel car park. He then checked us in and took us to our room. The room was beyond expectation. Four poster, open fireplace and antique furniture! He wished us a good stay and then introduced himself as the general manager, very impressive! The food in the restaurant is superb (in line with a michelin starred chef) but unpretentious. The icing on the cake for us was the service which is impeccable. From the general manager, the reception and all the waiting staff you could not ask for more genuinely polite and helpful people. There is the obvious bonus that it is situated in the beautiful village of Castle Combe. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be making a return visit. Thank you to every body at the hotel and village for making our stay so memorable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Combe
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot
The Hare and Hounds Hotel

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!