“Once again Magic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castle Combe
Warnham, United Kingdom
“Once again Magic”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

we have stayed at The Manor House five or six times now. We have never been disppointed and this trip was the same. Its a magical setting in a valley with the Bybrook river running through it. The grounds are superb. The welcome we receive each time is professional and friendly. the rooms, no matter where you are, though we like the cottages, are refined and well appointed. A touch of modern class with an antique feel. All amenities are here, coffee and tea are provided, and the hotel has though of everything. Soft robes, towels and a super comfortable bed. The Bybrook restaurant can't be faulted, the food is superb, as is the service and attention. Its gourmet food though so dont expect "comfort food" as I have seen in other reviews. If you are a golfer, the golf course is set in a beautiful valley, is in great condition, and is a tough challenge. I woulkd recommend a buggy as its up hill and down dale, literally. Can get a little busy at peak times but, Monday morning, 09:36 my wife and I played millionaires golf in front of the field, had a great lunch, and headed home, sadly! The village is idyllic as well and there a couple of good pubs within walking distance. If you like to walk there are wooded hills all around and the grounds of the hotel are also beautiful. As usual for the Exclusive Group, their excellent standards are maintained here. we are memebnrs of Mannings Heath Golf club and have stayed at South Lodge and Penny Hill Park, and we cant say enough about the standards.

Room Tip: The cottages are quaint and the interiors are a good size as is the bathroom. We have stayed in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tony B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

From the second we arrived to the second we left, the staff at this hotel made our stay perfect. The grounds are beautiful, the setting is perfect and the rooms are luxurious. As for the food, I cannot say I have enjoyed a meal more anywhere. I cannot think of anything that could have improved our stay - the bedrooms were extremely well equipped with all the home comforts and more. The service throughout the hotel was second to none and the restaurant was perfect for a romantic meal with atmosphere. Thank you so much for a perfect stay.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room in the main hotel rather than one of the cottages but only because the church...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have enjoyed afternoon tea at The Manor on several occasions, I have even bought gift vouchers for our friends to enjoy the experience, it is one of our favourite places. This week, however, we took a couple of friends to enjoy afternoon tea in their superb setting but I am writing to say that I was very disappointed on this occasion with several things. After singing the praises of the Manor's afternoon teas I have to say it was not up to standard this week. The service is usually "spot on" but I was not impressed with not being given a menu for us to see the selection of teas on offer and also the cups around the bottom showed signs of tea stains. Had we not been with friends we may have made this known at the time but after the big build up to the afternoon I did not want to make a fuss and spoil their day. Must admit, we were left a bit on our own and had to ask for things, which we do not normally have to do. There were several guests in the drawing room and maybe there were not enough staff on duty but for £23 per person I think they could have done better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Skelaswas
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Skelaswas,

Thank you for your honest feedback.

I can only apologise for not getting it right for you and that the service was not up to our usual standards.

I am pleased you actually seem to have enjoyed the food etc; and that what let it down was an unusual lack of attention to detail.

I do hope we get to see you again soon and when booking please do let me know as I would be delighted to get to meet you.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning
East Grinstead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel is amazing and the service provided by the staff was excellent. This is a perfect place to stay for a luxury break. The house, grounds and castle Combe village are beautiful. We have stayed here a few times over recent years and each time we have been completely impressed. The beautiful Manor house is maintained to a luxiourious standard, full of traditional character. Staff are attentive and accommodating and the hotel is kept impecabily clean. Breakfast was excellent and provided a great choice of yummy freshly made produce.

Room Tip: We stayed in the cottages next to the main house, these are beautiful and luxurious rooms in such a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a very pleasant place to stay and play golf. The rooms in the cottages are well appointed and the grounds a delight. The staff are very attentive and the food well presented. I do however have two small issues. Firstly it is not clear on the website that you need a car to get to the golf course if you are travelling with a trolley and clubs ( see separate review of golf course) and secondly many golfers will miss lunch while they are playing and would enjoy a hearty meal on their return. Be warned the golfing menu has only two choices for each of the starter, main and dessert courses and they are while beautifully presented they are small portions and we all left still feeling hungry. Fortunately the breakfast is excellent so fill up there!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Stephen-Manager, General Manager at The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Fletch350,

Thank you for your feedback and I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us.

I am only sorry that you found the travelling from the Hotel to the Golf Club difficult, I just wasn't sure that you had been aware that we do provide a shuttle golf buggy to get you to and fro, and this includes golf clubs and carts if necessary.

Hope to see you another time.

Best regards,

Stephen Browning
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My partner booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday in July 2012 where he proposed to me also!! We took advantage of the "Secret Sundays deal" and the glorious 7-Course taster meal in The Bybrook Restaurant.

All the staff were extremely polite and kind on arrival, there is valet parking and our bags were taken to the room for us. The Room was very spacious and the decor was unique and comfortable. I had the best night’s sleep in a long time as the bed was so comfy and big :) The Bathroom as also huge. Very clean and relaxing.

My partner had told the hotel before we arrived that he was going to propose to me and they made it completely perfect. (They even had a piano player in the restaurant!!) After I said "yes" they gave us champagne and a decorated dessert to celebrate and the chef came to speak to us after our meal. My partner said it was the best meal he’s ever had in his lifetime.

Wonderful experience, The Gardens at the hotel are beautiful to walk around, The village surrounding the hotel is lovely to go and explore, Ill be saving up to come here again without a doubt :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, UK
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have just spent my husband's birthday weekend at The Manor. What a beautiful place - our room was stunning, and the grounds are lovely. The village itself, Castle Combe, is just gorgeous. We had a wonderful dinner, a walk in the grounds and surrounding footpaths and then a lovely lunch in the village pub. The best bit was leaving the kids behind and having 24 hours of lovely time together. thoruoghly recommend - just make sure you are prepared for the bar prices! ouch!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Barnsley House
Barnsley House
#1 of 1 in Barnsley

Been to The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!