“Disappointed”

Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Calne
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed in march balcony room no hot water noise evening due to wedding no newspaper delivered . When we left my partner and I was asked if we enjoy our stay ,we did not the hotel was very nice but the staff were not interested in our disatisfaction. .we ask for the manager to call us which he did not .when we returned home we rang him he offered a 1 night stay free we accepted . But when we tried to book this we were quizzed by the new manager as to why we had a complimentary 1 night stay he made us feel very unwelcome as he said he could find no record of our complaint (staff still I have no customer service) will not be returning !!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank 222334titus
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for finding the time to write your review following your stay with us in March. It was disappointing that you choose not to stay with us last week, when you had indicated that you wish to take up our offer, as I was looking forward to meeting you to hopefully explain the improvements that we have made within the hotel, since your last stay and the comments that you made following it.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

The review dated 25th November by Tom-Kenny is exactly how I would have described our recent stay at Bowood. So, I will not repeat the same glowing comments.
This was our third stay at Bowood; the most memorable was for my 50th birthday when we invited 6 couples to join us and stay for 2 nights over a weekend. Food and wine were excellent. The staff were simply wonderful and all done with a genuine smile. Boys played golf and the girls enjoyed the spa.
This last weekend we stayed for 2 nights. The hotel looked even more lovely and welcoming than usual as a result of the tasteful Xmas decorations. The library was a great place to chill out, read the papers and enjoy a cream tea whilst being warmed by a real fire which was kept stoked from morning 'til late.
On both evenings we ate in the Shelbourne restaurant. This was fine dining at its best. I have not had a better meal in a very long time. Service was just right. Food was wonderful both in taste and presentation. The chef is a real asset for the hotel.
We enjoyed breakfast in the Shelbourne. It was quite busy and the team had quite a challenge in keeping the hot buffet topped up with sufficient food. I think that the hotel was running a special offer which meant that breakfast was a little more hectic than we remember.
We too had some issues with noisy guests. I find it so selfish and thoughtless that guests going to bed past midnight find it necessary to continue their party as they head for their rooms and once inside turn up the TV and dance around. Certainly not the fault of the hotel but maybe a small notice to ask guests to be considerate of others may help....or not!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Bowood and will certainly return in the not too distant future. Thank you to all the staff for their welcome and helpfulness.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

And thank you for your wonderful review. It is so nice to hear when people come back and have a great time. I will pass your comments onto our florist who has made all the decorations around the hotel. I will take note of your idea of a notice about other guests. We hope to welcome you back to Bowood again soon.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a 2 nights stay here this weekend, a treat for my partner's birthday.

This really is a wonderful place.
Overall the feeling is one of a relaxed atmosphere, somewhere to 'get away from it all'.

The staff could not have been more helpful or more polite, from the reception staff to the cleaning staff to lovely 'Sam' at breakfast this morning, all were faultless.

The room was very lovely, spacious, clean, modern, excellent tea/coffee, home made cookies, fresh water, etc. The bed was very comfy. The bathroom was wonderful, with the quickest running taps on record!! The only slight downside of the room was sound insulation. You could quite easily hear noise from the corridor and there was a particulary noisy group of laides in the next room!!!

The evening meal in the Shelburne restaurant was excellent, each course carefully prepared and tasting delicious. Breakfasts were great, though maybe there could have been some hash brownies, and this morning they had "run out" of beans, slightly odd!
Yes, the alcohol is not cheap, but the wine was very good!

The spa was perfect, a lovely big pool, plus jacuzzi, steam room, sauna. Very clean and not corwded at all when we were there. a real joy!!

The bar and libary area are wonderfuuly lit, very relaxing, plenty of newspapers and books, and cosy fires at this timje of year.

It was a pity Bowood House and Gardens were not open (they close from Nov 1st), but that's a very good reason to go back next year!!

We visited the beautiful village of Lacock, 15 mins drive away. If you haven't been you simply MUST!

This place is so close to getting an overall rating of 5, but that needs perfection I guess!
We can't wait to return, and that says it all!

Room Tip: All rooms seems similar, our view was over the front courtyard, and was lovely!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We do pride ourselves on quality of service and glad that you received great service throughout your stay. I will pass your comments onto all the different departments and I will let Sam know. Yes you must visit again next year when Bowood House opens which is 20th March 2013. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

It takes a lot to impress me, but I must say, our recent 2 night stay at this wonderful hotel was for us faultless! Attention to detail was impeccable, and the little extras provided just added to a perfect stay.
The soft furnishings and decoration was to a very high standard, both in the bedrooms and public rooms. We had a bedroom on the second floor overlooking the gardens and academy golf course. Excellent modern facilities, including flat screen tv, radio with iPod docking, choice of quality teas and coffee, tin of fresh cookies, ice already in your ice bucket, robes and slippers. The huge modern bathroom was a real treat, and was of a superb standard. The plush carpet and drapes allowed for a relaxing sleep with no noise from other guests even though our room was near to the lift.

We made use of the wonderful modern spa facilities and gym, which both overlooked the gardens from the huge floor to ceiling windows. It was appreciated that times were set aside for children's swimming, allowing for a relaxing swim and jacuzzi. My husband used the driving range, which was open until late in the evening.

Breakfast although again was impressive and had choices to suit everyone, my only comment to the staff was that on both occasions the hot choice was cold, due to it sitting around for a while, rather than it being replenished regularly. Having said this, the staff were excellent and professional at all times.

We did not use the hotel restaurant in the evenings, as we chose to eat out at various pubs which are close by. The hotel bar has a lovely lounge area, and the library beyond this has comfy chairs and sofas with a wonderful choice of books to browse through, sitting in front of the fire.

I have no hesitation in recommending this luxurious hotel if you are looking for a special weekend away, there is very little or nothing to fault and you will not be disappointed!

Thank you to all the staff at Bowood, I can't wait to re-visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the gardens.
1  Thank luv2holidayinthesun
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for your GREAT review. We always strive to go the extra mile and think the little extra touches mean a lot. Its good that you managed to use the spa and your husband used the driving range, next time he will have to get out on the course! I have passed your comments onto the food and beverage team about your breakfasts, and I hope this didn’t affect your stay too much. I hope that you will return to Bowood soon and try out our award winning dining, you will also have to make it in Bowood House open season so you can experience the whole package that Bowood has to offer.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our two night break was booked by my partner through Secret Escapes for my birthday. The hotel has a spa so I was keen to try out some treatments... I had spent a considerable amount of time researching what treatment I was going to indulge in!
On arrival the hotel seemed modern and not quite what I expected I can only assume this was due to planning permission rather than choice. Once inside the door though the hotel is beautiful. The hotel was clean and beautifully decorated inside with spacious rooms and a lovely bar and restaurant area. Our bedroom came with complimentary freshly baked cookies and bottles of water. We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was amazing, it was so tasty it stopped conversation so we could just chew and enjoy! The one point here is that my partner booked the bed & breakfast with dinner one night and when we were handed the menus it transpired that we had the bobby basic menu with a limited choice, not the full menu and this hadn't been clear. We paid the upgrade and ate from the full menu which was an absolute delight. The staff were very knowledgeable and helpful.
The following day we had an afternoon tea for one, to share. It was huge and delicious. Unfortunately neither of the staff - an older man and a young man - could find a menu so had to describe what was on offer! We were very pleased though as the food was plentiful and gorgeous. The young man was asked by my partner if we could see Bowood House from the walk we were about to head out on and his reply: he didn't know!!! It would have been nice if the staff had a broader knowledge of the hotel and grounds they were working in so as to assist us with our enquiry. The grounds were stunning though and the walk very romantic as the sun had just set!
The local pub serves delicious food and is a short walk away (although you may need a torch!)

The day we arrived we quickly went across to the spa to book our treatments for the next day. I asked the young man behind the counter for the list of 'deals' I'd seen online, so he handed over the laminated sheet. After I spotted the deal I wanted, a package including lunch, a coffee and cake, full use of the spa and a long massage and facial (the beautiful goddess treatment)... £5 cheaper than the treatment alone; I said that was the one I wanted to book. He then told me that as a resident of the hotel I wasn't allowed the deals!!! This was shocking and as my partner pointed out, very unfair. We were paying a lot of money and using the hotel's restaurant and bar, but had to pay more and get less?! We didn't argue but booked our treatments for the day we checked out, ensuring we got the deals package. The spa treatment was lovely and Laura was very informative. She showed us the products and price lists but there was no hard sell which was a novelty and a relief! The lunch was lovely but the cake was mouldy and had to go back and the tea spoon with my partner's coffee was dirty. The hotel is a far sight cleaner and the service more at the expected 4 star standard.

All in all a fantastic venue and one I'd return to!

Room Tip: Choose one with a window - it gets hot! But the views are stunning.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for finding the time to write your review. I am so glad to read that you had a good stay throughout the hotel, enjoying your ‘conversation stopper’ food and your walks of the grounds. I am sorry to hear that the service and enjoyment did not flow through to the spa, since your comments we have reviewed our processes and we have rectified these, now all hotel guests can relax and pamper themselves on any package that they would like to have. I hope that you will visit us again soon, and please make use of the spa packages

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We came across this hotel by accident via a special offere associated with work. We only stayed for one night, but have promised ourselves to return in the very near future for a long weekend, and certainly will take the opportunity to play on the excellent looking golf course associated with this hotel.

The hotel complex is relatively new, but some how it has developed a style, look and feel of granduer gone by, dining facilities that overlook the park land of the Bowood estate, comfortable library area to relax with a drink and browse the papers.

The room we had was excellent, very confortable bed for a great nights sleep, and the bathroom was to a very high standard in terms of comfort and finish.

We cannot fault this hotel, its service and the staff, and while it may be expense for a stay, we will be returning and watching the website for any special deals that are released.

Room Tip: Any room will be excellent in this facilitie, but ask if you can have a high location over looking t...
1  Thank Mike B
BowoodResort, General Manager at Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

We always have our best rates on our own website so keep a close eye on this. I hope that you will take full advantage of our golf course and the spa when you return. Please request your bedroom of choice when making your booking and we will strive to make this possible for you. Thank you for your great review and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Aboslutely fantastic! Beautiful grounds, fantastic room with balcony and magnificent views overlooking golf training course, exceptionally large ensuite bathroom, excellent customer service. You've got to spend a night here for yourself to experience how good it really is!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank littlemiscomplicated

Thanks for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calne
Beechfield House
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel

Been to Bowood Hotel, Spa and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!