“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beanacre
Church Crookham, Hants
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed at Beechfield House for 1 night to celebrate our 5th Anniversary and had a truly wonderful stay. We booked via the hotel website and due to reviews I'd read about some of the rooms being a little tatty and awaiting renovation, I sent a request with our booking for one of the nicer rooms to make our stay perfect. On arrival the staff were friendly and polite and the hotel grounds amazing. We were in the room 'Cedar', a large room with 4 poster bed, desk, seating area, flat screen TV, and bathroom with bath and separate shower. The bedlinen was fantastic quality, there were Molton Brown toiletries and the varied selection of tea/coffee in the room all nice touches. There was a little paper peeling from our walls, with noticeable damp patches and the curtain linings were torn but for us it all added to the rustic charm. The barmaid told us she thinks Cedar is the best room in the hotel. It is a feature room and as we’d booked a standard room my email request had earned us a free upgrade.
We dined out that evening so cannot comment on the restaurant but had a drink in the walled garden in the afternoon and explored the grounds. The hotel has made the most of the buildings original features and is full of charm. The grounds are immaculate and well cared for and the outdoor heated swimming pool a great bonus. Whilst the owners are renovating and somewhat modernising the hotel I’m pleased to say the modern aspects are the flat screen TV’s and bathrooms and the décor/furniture around the hotel is all in keeping with the style of the period house. The floorboards do creak and bedroom doors are not very thick but we were not disturbed by any other guests and there was a baby present on our night.
Breakfast was served until 10.30 (sat) which enabled us to have a well needed lie in and guests were divided between 2 rooms. I’m not sure why but it made it more private and personal. There was a buffet with freshly poached fruit, croissants and waffles as well as cereals and freshly squeezed juices and a separate full breakfast menu which was cooked to order. The quality of the food was superb and locally sourced. I couldn’t fault it!
Beechfield House will definitely appeal to those who look for outstanding quality and beautiful surroundings. They are a family hotel but I’d recommend to couples looking for a romantic break (a perfect place to propose) and as a picture perfect wedding venue.

• Liked — The view as you drove up the driveway of the impressive house and immaculate grounds.
  • Disliked — Nothing and i'm hard to please!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
London
Reviewed September 17, 2008

We had our wedding reception at Beechfield House in early August, and I genuinely can't fault it. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained, and the house itself has more of a feel of a relaxed, if rather grand, family home than hotel. All of the rooms are decorated in a style very much in keeping with the house itself, but without feeling stuffy or too dated. We spent our wedding night in the Cedar room, which has the most amazing four poster bed and double aspect windows with views over the gardens - it was a lovely place to wake up in on our first morning of married life.

The staff throughout were very helpful and extremely friendly, and did everything they could to make our day go as smoothly as possible. If you're thinking of having your wedding there, Beechfield has its own wedding planner, Lucy, who was absolutely fabulous. I am really quite a control freak, and like to keep track of everything that's going on, but she gave me such confidence that I didn't worry about a thing on the day and just enjoyed myself! Nothing was too much trouble from any of the staff at Beechfield.

The food for all 3 meals we had was really lovely. Beautifully presented and of excellent quality.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Kent
Reviewed August 27, 2008

It was a wonderful experience. Staff were delightful, food was gorgeous and the hotel all in all very good. It needs some improvement in certain areas like furniture and upholstery but the owners are very much aware of this and have been re-decorating the whole hotel bit by bit. They are doing refurbishments to the "coach-house-wing" at the moment (this won't affect anyone staying in the main hotel itself as the wing is only connected by a conservatory type of walk through). A hotel we would recommend to anyone who likes a friendly welcome, good service and a luxurious stay in general. AND on top of all this, THEY WELCOME dog owners with their FOUR-LEGGED FRIEND as well!

• Liked — friendliness and dog-friendliness in particular, food, service, countryside
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
Reviewed August 24, 2008

The website and the appearance of the hotel outside on arrival promise a lot but that's where it ends.
The hotels focus is clearly on large groups, weddings and corporate events and for 2 couples arriving on a Sunday lunchtime for a 3 night stay to celebrate a sapphire wedding anniversary , there was no acknowlegement of our arrival let alone a welcome.
Sunday lunch eventually arrived 2 hours after the time we had booked into the restaurant for. The function room doubled up as the dining area - rather large for 4 diners and in combination with the silver plastic chairs and accompanying Michael Ball Love Songs soundtrack we might just as well have been at the wedding which had clearly been held there the day before. The food was OK but the service was dreadful - very slow and impersonal.

The rooms were a big let down. Small, tired looking with worn carpet and furnishings with the most expensive of the 2 rooms having no shower. The bathroom steam revealed an obscene 4 letter message left by a previous occupant.

There was no tourist information regarding the immediate local area and the owner, when we expressed our dissatisfaction at the service and asked for a recommendation for a local restaurant or gastropub, was unable to name a single one.

(Tip: The Pear Tree Inn, the national winner of the catering pub of the year 2007 is 2 minutes away, though off the beaten track.
The staff there were very freindly, the food fantastic and the atmosphere great. They also have rooms.)

An item of clothing also went missing from 1 of our rooms.

We were presented with a full bill despite our poor experience and numerous complaints. No senior manager was avalable to speak to us prior to our departure and the owner had first notarrived and then too busy to see us.
We left having not paid the bill in full, requesting the owenr to make contact to discuss our complaints, the missing item of clothing and the unpaid portion of the bill.
We have heard nothing.
Poor service, poor value for money and overall an extremely disappointing experience.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — theattitude of the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank DoctorAManchester
South Bucks.
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Dear Chris,

A big thankyou to you and all your staff for a wonderful day on Saturday. Everything was perfect, the venue, the food and the staff, with special praise for Lucy who made the day run smooth and was extremely helpful throughout. We relaxed knowing that she was in control.

Also special mention of James and Maria who were so helpful to us and all our guests throughout the weekend. Nothing was too much trouble, something that is sadly lacking in a great number of establishments.

I knew we had done the right thing when we booked Beechfield for our daughter’s wedding.

I am sure you have read my email to Lucy, but would like to reiterate my feelings regarding the weekend. I have had my own wedding, children and grandchildren have been born, two sons have got married but I can honestly say that Saturday was the best day of my life.

I know as a family we shall be back to stay at Beechfield as it is a very special place.

Thanking you once again.

Yours sincerely
Paul Danbury

• Liked — Food and service
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Lincoln
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Beechfield House for a weekend in mid June 08, and I can honestly say that it was one of the most pleasurable hotel experiences I have ever had.

The hotel itself is architecturally beautiful, easy to find but nicely tucked away in skilfully tended grounds. The poolside terrace is delightful, and had it not rained all weekend I would have struggled to stay out of the heated pool!

I believe that the hotel is currently undergoing some degree of renovation, and previous reviewers have noted that some of the rooms and bathrooms are a little tired. Whilst I would agree that there is space for improvement decoratively, I would stress that these issues are simply of the 'slightly worn' rather than the 'threadbare and vile' variety. I should also like to add that the room and bathroom were absolutely spotless, and that the hotel has made some priority changes already - Egyptian cotton bedding, a flatscreen television and a particularly large and sumptuous bed all helped to take our minds off the room's minor flaws.

Some headway has been made in terms of renovation in the public areas, and the bar in particular has been beautifully done with great respect for the building.

I'm pleased to say that we dined at the hotel, enjoying three courses for under £30 a head. The menu was reassuringly small but imaginative, and the food turned out to be top notch - beautifully presented, thoughtfully devised and absolutely delicious. The wine list was diverse and informed, with a variety spanning the globe (and price spectrum).

All of this aside, if I had to choose one aspect of our stay at Beechfield House which 'made' the entire weekend it would be simple. The staff are absolutely superb - the finest I have encountered. Incredibly welcoming (without a hint of corporate sycophancy), every member of staff we encountered was well informed, friendly, efficient and very professional. They are an absolute credit to the hotel, and I will be writing to thank them for their efforts.

I heartily recommend this hotel. Fair enough, if you look for slick corporate styling and a shower which pins you to the bathroom wall then you're probably searching in the wrong place. But if relaxation, excellent food, impeccable service and a touch of individuality is up your street, then you can't go far wrong with Beechfield House.

• Liked — Beautiful location and excellent staff.
  • Disliked — That it isn't our permanent residence.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We stayed here following the funeral of an Aunty. Afternoon tea was provided for the mourners and was delicious. Staff were particularly nice as we only booked tea for 5 but 11 turned up. It was no problem and all the elderly folk just loved it. When they left we booked in and stayed in the Walnut room up in the highest part of the house overlooking the beautiful gardens and pool. The room was extremely hot and in need of re decoration but the bed, linen and t.v are all recent updates and were excellent. However the bathroom was not brilliant. Grubby carpet on the floor, loose tiles and w.c and no shower, just a little handheld device which trickled water.
Bar food and wines were very good however as was breakfast.
This is a stunning house with excellent staff and such a lot of potential that I really think they need to sort out their rooms sooner rather than later.

• Liked — Staff, location and building itself.
  • Disliked — bathrooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beanacre
Lucknam Park
Woolley Grange
Woolley Grange
#1 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Shaw Country House Hotel

Been to Beechfield House? Share your experiences!