The website and the appearance of the hotel outside on arrival promise a lot but that's where it ends.
The hotels focus is clearly on large groups, weddings and corporate events and for 2 couples arriving on a Sunday lunchtime for a 3 night stay to celebrate a sapphire wedding anniversary , there was no acknowlegement of our arrival let alone a welcome.
Sunday lunch eventually arrived 2 hours after the time we had booked into the restaurant for. The function room doubled up as the dining area - rather large for 4 diners and in combination with the silver plastic chairs and accompanying Michael Ball Love Songs soundtrack we might just as well have been at the wedding which had clearly been held there the day before. The food was OK but the service was dreadful - very slow and impersonal.
The rooms were a big let down. Small, tired looking with worn carpet and furnishings with the most expensive of the 2 rooms having no shower. The bathroom steam revealed an obscene 4 letter message left by a previous occupant.
There was no tourist information regarding the immediate local area and the owner, when we expressed our dissatisfaction at the service and asked for a recommendation for a local restaurant or gastropub, was unable to name a single one.
(Tip: The Pear Tree Inn, the national winner of the catering pub of the year 2007 is 2 minutes away, though off the beaten track.
The staff there were very freindly, the food fantastic and the atmosphere great. They also have rooms.)
An item of clothing also went missing from 1 of our rooms.
We were presented with a full bill despite our poor experience and numerous complaints. No senior manager was avalable to speak to us prior to our departure and the owner had first notarrived and then too busy to see us.
We left having not paid the bill in full, requesting the owenr to make contact to discuss our complaints, the missing item of clothing and the unpaid portion of the bill.
We have heard nothing.
Poor service, poor value for money and overall an extremely disappointing experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning four AA Red Star country house hotel, near to Bath, Longleat & Lacock. The outdoor heated pool is gorgeous in the summer, whilst in the winter open fires are as warm as the welcome. Enjoy the beautiful grounds, a delicious lunch, traditional afternoon tea, bar snacks or fabulous two AA Rosette dining. Friendly yet professional staff complement this wonderful building. Free superfast Wifi is available throughout the hotel, terrace and walled garden. We will ALWAYS match or beat any rate offered by the online travel agents. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Beechfield House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beechfield House Hotel, Restaurant And Gardens
- Beechfield House Hotel, Restaurant & Gardens Hotel Beanacre
- Beechfield Hotel Beanacre