“Ancient History”

and up
Private Stonehenge, Woodhenge, Avebury Stone Circle from London
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Amesbury
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We visited this location, while in the area to see Stonehenge and Wood Henge. Such an old site, so much so that it is difficult to comprehend. Lovely to see the old site(s), and to look right down onto the nearby River Avon. A pity, however, that the local authority elected to run a road through this site ! Plenty of information here, in the form of signposts and boards.

1  Thank MichaelDevon_UK

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just a grassy bank and toe path along a river at the moment, with no sign posts yet. Durrington Walls is probably where the builders of Stonehenge lived, but it is still very much under investigation from the likes of Mike Parker Pearson and his team.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Possibly the largest gathering place for celebrations in Neolithic Britain we went searching for it twice. It is reputed to have catered for up to 4,000 people at one time in the Neolithic period. People we asked in Durrington claimed to know nothing about it, a local dog walker at Woodhenge who stopped to talk to us, did not know where it was. We thought we finally located the huge curve of its outer bank north of Woodhenge and clearly visible from there, but thought it must be on Military owned land as there is lots on the road to its north, which we had driven along in our search.
We could only see the bank curving away behind a sheep field and fenced off from it, from the picnic area besides Woodhenge, which itself is clearly signed and laid out with information boards. When I got home I managed to find a picture of the signboard on the Megalithic portal. I wish I had looked there before we travelled as it was exactly where we thought with a sign exactly where we stood. I can only imagine the sign has been removed. It said it is on National Trust land and there is free access on foot. Disappointing in the extreme.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

As I did with my Stonehenge review, I will plug Salisbury & Stonehenge Guided Tours with Pat. We would not have visited Durrington Walls without the guided tour (I wouldn't even have known where it was). Without the guided tour, had I known where it was, it would not have meant anything to me. But...with Pat as a guide, he made Durrington Walls mean something. Pat served as a guide for tours while the excavations of the site were occuring and he can relate pictures and stories from that experience. Very cool site when visited with the tour guide.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Firstly, the picture is wildly misleading. There is nothing to see here - by definition, anything that needs archaeologists to bring forth is probably hidden underground.

But if you're on a whole 'neolithic vibe', visit this along with Stonehenge and Woodhenge (a henge made of...concrete) and then you can go home happy that you'll never have to risk walking through Durrington without bodyguards again.